Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Replacing couch in ORV 24KTS

Our couch is just not very comfortable for those rainy days when you have to stay inside all day. We are considering replacing it with theater seating and just wondered if there are any other ORV owners who may have done this in this specific model. We would love to benefit from your experience and knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Wally & Anita
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

IMHO a pair or recliners might be more practical
Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What does ORV use in the 24RLS? Call the factory.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #4

The recliners in the 24RLS are heavy, uncomfortable and not very durable. We had one fail within the first three months. Not worth waiting six months for an appointment at the dealer to get it repaired under warranty.

I’d recommend exploring third party solutions. We are looking at RecPro right now. I understand some folks have had good success with la-z-boy.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 2018 24KTS and the first mod completed when I returned home with ours was to rip out the Jack Knife sofa. We purchased two, his and her’s (smaller) recliners locally with a life time warranty on the frame and mechanism. The fabric was a faux leather material meant to stand up to the small dogs paws, knowing when we left them on the camper at times they would be up on the chairs. I installed two tie downs on either each end of the pair for transport. Strapped down the recliners and never had a moment with our travels. We also realized that with the slide in there wasn’t enough room to access the bathroom during those impromptu travel moments. The solution was to cut down the dinette booth. There are normally two of us traveling although we do take the Grandbabies on shorter trips. So I took 14 inches off everything, sewed the cushions by hand. I used a portion of the table cut off to make a counter extension with drop hardware I purchased off Amazon. It allows plenty of space for two adults and the occasional Grandchild. I also took a PVC trim board and cut it down in manageable pieces to slide under the leading edge of the slide floor while it is in. You don’t want to walk on that edge while the slide is in. The 14 inch cut down allows the Poppa Bear recliner to fully open with the slide open only two inches at rest stops or Walmart type stays. It really works for us, we’re both thrilled with this.

The space behind the recliners was used as more pantry space, fitting in some small totes with canned goods.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

I'd stay away from any RV type furniture. Most are cheaply made. I'd look at your local furniture store and do as mentioned, get recliners. We've always gone with Best recliners. They make quality furniture in several sizes.
In our 25RDS we removed the tri-fold sofa and put two recliners in. They're light enough that we can slide them around to watch TV if needed.
The backs come off most all recliners for shipping so they'll fit through your door easily.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback. We have been looking at the RecPro brand as well, but I need to do some careful measuring. I do think that anchoring the recliners down is a good idea. When I rode motorcycles, I learned to dress for the crash and not for the ride, and that same thought process carries over to this and most other things in my life.

ModestMonk-curious about why you had to cut the dinette down. Was this caused when you installed the recliners? With the couch, we currently have plenty of room to walk to the bathroom with the slide retracted. I use a 12X24X1/4" piece of hardboard under my slide when retracted to support the floor and it has worked well so far.

For those of you that have removed the couch-were there any problems getting it through the door? Any guesstimate on the weight?

Thanks again everybody.

Wally & Anita
Old 08-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

My tri-fold sofa will break down into 4 pcs. Not sure what yours will do but guessing it's the same. Pretty much held together by pins and screws. I've taken it out and in twice. The wife and I can carry the pcs very easily. We store it in the house for when the 3 Gkids go along as it gives us another bed.
I've never anchored my recliners down in the 25RDS. The sofa wasn't anchored either.
However I did anchor the recliners down in our Fox 235 since they were in the rear and tended to move around.
I just screwed two clips to the floor and ran a strap around both recliners.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
I also took a PVC trim board and cut it down in manageable pieces to slide under the leading edge of the slide floor while it is in.
I’d like to learn more about this. I’m not sure what pvc trim board is but agree that protecting the slide edge is critical when in.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
I’d like to learn more about this. I’m not sure what pvc trim board is but agree that protecting the slide edge is critical when in.
You can find PVC trim board in most lumber yards like Lowes. I chose it only because it’s soft, smooth and very light weight. It’s 3/4 of an inch which fits into the space nicely and leaves very little space for deflection.

It’s important to support the leading edge across the entire span, although that doesn’t mean continuously. The most important areas are the junction with the side wall! If the floor pops off there you’ll have a world of trouble, resulting in having to remove the slide to repair.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
ModestMonk-curious about why you had to cut the dinette down. Was this caused when you installed the recliners? With the couch, we currently have plenty of room to walk to the bathroom with the slide retracted. I use a 12X24X1/4" piece of hardboard under my slide when retracted to support the floor and it has worked well so far.

For those of you that have removed the couch-were there any problems getting it through the door? Any guesstimate on the weight?

Thanks again everybody.

Wally & Anita
I’m 6’4” and needed a recliner that fit me, the wife has a smaller version. They’re wallhuggers and when installed, it didn’t allow for us to navigate the passage to the bath during impromptu travel stops. Even the wife’s chair was too tight to allow passage.

The couch came out, it naturally separates into several components very easy and we store it in our closet off the guest bedroom. Should we ever want to restore the unit to stock we will have it and the head.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
You can find PVC trim board in most lumber yards like Lowes. I chose it only because it’s soft, smooth and very light weight. It’s 3/4 of an inch which fits into the space nicely and leaves very little space for deflection.

It’s important to support the leading edge across the entire span, although that doesn’t mean continuously. The most important areas are the junction with the side wall! If the floor pops off there you’ll have a world of trouble, resulting in having to remove the slide to repair.
So these spots are most important?

So I could get an 8 foot piece of trim, and cut it in half and put four feet at each end, in the places circled, when the slide is in, and that would help mitigate the risk.

Useful when the slide is half way out too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375B11C6-E964-4255-8F69-23ADBE36644E.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	256740   Click image for larger version

Name:	BECC852C-401E-4657-A627-332D0E33FE39.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	256741  

Old 08-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #13

Interestingly I tried some 3/4” plywood there and it doesn’t fit. 1/2” is much better....snug at places, a little room at others.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Interestingly I tried some 3/4” plywood there and it doesn’t fit. 1/2” is much better....snug at places, a little room at others.
Each model or unit may have different needs. With mine 3/4” works with the slide out to about 1/3 of the way. Yes those circled areas are the most important to support. If the central area was to be left unsupported the screws that hold down the dinette seats would pop. That’s how I discovered this on my trip back from picking up the unit in Washington and returning to New York. I was by myself so I didn’t need the slide out, so in five days the screws on the corners of the seats had popped.