Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Resale value for ORV?

We are considering moving to a motorhome from our beloved 2014 TimberRidge 240RKS. Does anyone have experience recently with selling a used 2014 and the resale percentage from MSRP? We have added some nice things to the unit like 300 watts of solar panels, power management unit, and receiver hitch welded on to the frame. I know how much those items cost, but I don’t know what value they go for to a resale buyer.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No idea about used $$ but I suspect that used ORV/Northwood products should be an easy sell.

And hate to see you sell our sister trailer (2014 TR 240RKS)!

Can you tell us why you're moving to a motor home?
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Can you tell us why you're moving to a motor home?
The trailer is great but kind of cramped for living in more than 5-6 weeks at a time. We compared getting a bigger trailer, a 5er, or a MH since we want to be gone 3-4 months a a time. Bigger trailer means bigger truck, and this one is already too big to do some off road travel and tight urban spaces. Fifth wheel is a nope because I don’t want stairs in the trailer plus a really big truck. Motorhome with a 4WD toad sounds good. Note that we wouldn’t be thinking of changing if we were gone only a few weeks at a time. The biggest downside of a MH is that we won’t fit in all those out of the way FS spots. Sigh. Better do more of them while we can.

And all of this is still in the early planning stages, not imminent.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, those are all good points.

We live in ours at most 2 months at a time before I wanna be home.
And getting anything bigger really does restrict where we can go too.

But I'm not sure if a bigger RV would really satisfy our need to return home after 2 months.
There's lots of things to do and people to see at home that l would hate to give up.

Tough choices ...
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I know how much those items cost, but I don’t know what value they go for to a resale buyer.
Whether it be a home, a car, or an RV the used value of certain options added often don't hold much monetary value even though those items may have cost plenty when new. Some potential buyers could see solar panels as a liability while others could see them as benefit. Those in the industry have access to wholesale value publications that the general public would not and can price their units more accurately. The best you can do is look for several similar models with and without your options and see if there's a difference in the asking price. Err on the high side as you can always go down in price but very difficult to go up. Good luck with your sale.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

You're probably looking at mid $20K. I see a 2017 used for $29K on RVtrader. Probably get it a little cheaper. It's private party too so not a dealer inflated price.
Heck you can get a new one for $33,750 at Lassen RV and thats not even 25% off MSRP. Mountain Series.
Yours is 3 years older so My guess would be $22K-24K max.
RV prices drop like a rock regardless of brand.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I disagree. Supply and demand on used, GOOD CONDITION outdoor rv's should be really good, and I would price my unit based on it's condition and availability in the market place.

You'll want to spend a few weeks watching the used market on rvtrader.com and RVT scanning both dealer and private party inventories.

Doing this will give you a sense of pricing, how often units identical to yours come up. How fast they sell. Same with similar units. And then consider what region of the country they are located. If yours is in a region where it's more difficult for a buyer to obtain other used units for sale, then that counts for something.

Make the unit ready, clean and empty. Take FABULOUS photos, even if you have to give a photographer friend pizzza and beer to do it.

I place lights outside of the windows showing in, and can produce EXCELLENT photos of the inside of an rv.

Here's an example from my last RV. This photo was taken on my property of my actual unit just prior to listing it.
Attached Images

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NADA says that the base unit would have a resale value between 16 and 18k

I did not go through any options.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Here's an example from my last RV. This photo was taken on my property of my actual unit just prior to listing it.
That is a beautiful photo!
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
We are considering moving to a motorhome from our beloved 2014 TimberRidge 240RKS. Does anyone have experience recently with selling a used 2014 and the resale percentage from MSRP? We have added some nice things to the unit like 300 watts of solar panels, power management unit, and receiver hitch welded on to the frame. I know how much those items cost, but I don’t know what value they go for to a resale buyer.

Sold Black Rock 22RKS (2014) without factory couch for $15,000, got new for $22,000. Got 2 years good use out of it, just needed more room for grandkids, now have Glacier Peak. Didn't add any gismos to the stock unit, but never had a bit of trouble with it.
ordinary88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

Having just sold a 2013 Nash I can give you one piece of advice: if you target the ad towards the right buyer and are patient, you will get someone to meet your price.

I bought the Nash 2nd hand in early 2014 for $19,000 and sold it late 2017 for $19,000. I added solar, flipped the axles, and switched all the lights to LEDs.

The only bad news for you is that the original buyer took a $11,000 bite.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the information about the basic resale of the trailer, but that I know about. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. I am really interested in the resale value of the solar setup, EMS, and hitch. If the resale of the solar isn’t good, I can remove it from this trailer and use it on the next RV. DH carefully installed it for just that contingency. I can’t move the EMS or hitch.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #13

Every buyer has different needs so those items may or may not make a difference to the new buyer.
What I would do is offer the TT at a price with the solar/EMS and without.
The hitch is a give away IMO.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the information about the basic resale of the trailer, but that I know about. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. I am really interested in the resale value of the solar setup, EMS, and hitch. If the resale of the solar isn’t good, I can remove it from this trailer and use it on the next RV. DH carefully installed it for just that contingency. I can’t move the EMS or hitch.
If the solar is mounted to the roof and removed you're left with holes to patch. A potential buyer would see those patches as just that - patches. How many buyers of anything are willing to pay a good price for something that's been patched? Especially a roof.

Add on devices like solar and EMS are one of those tailor made installations valuable to the owner who installed it but more than likely not so much to the average buyer.

Personally I'd leave the solar up there and hope the right buyer comes along willing to pay above average because its a benefit for them. Same for the EMS.

As they say in sales, people buy benefits, not features.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale