Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
Here is my response from Maxxis:

"The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires."
Interesting. A "Q" speed rating is 99 mph.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wonder if speed rating Q is stamped on the tire?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I'll have to go down to storage tomorrow and take a look at my tires.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I just checked my Maxxis tires and the "Q" is not present on the tire.

I find it interesting that the description that Maxxis sent to RED_5 says that the tire is "Q" rated, but then goes on to say that according to the Tire and Rim Association, ST tires "without a service description" (i.e., the "Q" not stamped on the tire??) are designed and rated at 65 mph. But then continues to say that if the speed is higher than 65 mph the pressure and load need to be adjusted. Seems highly contradictory, at best. Or maybe it's just Maxxis' way of saying "we built the tire to be Q rated but we don't want the liability related to you towing your trailer at 99 mph so we're not publicizing it".

It is also interesting to me that some of the Internet dealers who sell Maxxis M8008's advertise them as "high speed" radials, which would be consistent with the "Q" rating (at least for a trailer tire anyway).

In any case, based upon the statement from Maxxis, I feel a bit more comfortable that in those infrequent cases where I have to run 70 mph to avoid getting run over, the tires probably have a safety margin as long as they are aired up properly and not overloaded.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post

I find it interesting that the description that Maxxis sent to RED_5 says that the tire is "Q" rated, but then goes on to say that according to the Tire and Rim Association, ST tires "without a service description" (i.e., the "Q" not stamped on the tire??) are designed and rated at 65 mph. But then continues to say that if the speed is higher than 65 mph the pressure and load need to be adjusted. Seems highly contradictory, at best. Or maybe it's just Maxxis' way of saying "we built the tire to be Q rated but we don't want the liability related to you towing your trailer at 99 mph so we're not publicizing it".

It is also interesting to me that some of the Internet dealers who sell Maxxis M8008's advertise them as "high speed" radials, which would be consistent with the "Q" rating (at least for a trailer tire anyway).

In any case, based upon the statement from Maxxis, I feel a bit more comfortable that in those infrequent cases where I have to run 70 mph to avoid getting run over, the tires probably have a safety margin as long as they are aired up properly and not overloaded.
Maxxis makes the claim on their site: "The M8008 is a high-speed radial constructed tire, providing a smooth ride with extended tread life."

ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

I too was surprised by the Q rating and I think you might be right that they designed/constructed the tires for that speed but don't want to encourage people to tow that fast.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have about 3000 miles on this new set of carlisles 225/75/15HD E rated tires with no issues Very satisfied so far
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have approx. 2000 mls. on my Carlisles. No problems. Do like the buffer on the 80 mph rating. Have a few small trips planned before new fiver arrives. Should have better review on tires by then.
Rylrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post

I am sure it all boils down to liability. When I worked at Les Schwab in my younger years I was trained that you could not put a tire on a vehicle unless the tire matched or exceeded the vehicle speed and weight ratings. I.E. no stamp, no go. There are very few times that I will be driving that fast when towing so its not a make or break deal for me. Like I said before, its reassurance knowing that the tire was designed that way for me.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just finished putting 4000 miles on my carliles trail HD, No problems at all. So far very satisfied
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote