Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Roof design & failure

How common is ORV premature roof failure? Causes? I've noticed a few comments in my fairly short time viewing irv2 and I apologize if this topic is already beat to death in another thread (please point me toward it), but I wonder if any active (or past) ORV owners with roof issues would summarize what they know about the cause in their situation.

Roof truss design, Jayco Magnum vs others, I've seen some threads on this topic, but more specifically comparing the Magnum to ORV, any commentary here? Is ORV using staples for attaching the "marine grade" sheathing to trusses? Glue as well?

Lastly, I've seen some recommend resealing roof penetrations annually with lap sealant, and from many pictures I've seen some trailers have loads of sealant piled up, consistent with this strategy. Is it appropriate? Is seasonal inspection for signs of cracking not proactive enough? Is removing old suspect lap sealant before reapplying new not feasible?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

I thoroughly inspect the roof 2 or 3 times a year but there's no need to apply more sealant if what's up there is doing its job. That would be like putting new shingles on top of good shingles. Why do it?

As for staples or screws or glue it doesn't matter now that I've bought it. I'll deal with the roof should the need arise. Mine was built in 2010 and the structure is just as sound as the day it left the factory so that's good enough for me.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I thoroughly inspect the roof 2 or 3 times a year but there's no need to apply more sealant if what's up there is doing its job. That would be like putting new shingles on top of good shingles. Why do it?

As for staples or screws or glue it doesn't matter now that I've bought it. I'll deal with the roof should the need arise. Mine was built in 2010 and the structure is just as sound as the day it left the factory so that's good enough for me.
Sounds sensible. Rote sealing every season seems excessive to me.
Re: roof fail
When I've read about staples popping through roof membranes, it makes me wonder what the heck is happening. Too short a staple? Lack of glue?
Screws make a lot of sense in this application, but they can be overdriven. I've also had personal experience with screw heads breaking off in a trailer. Inferior hardware or faulty installation, roll the dice.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I inspect my rv trailer roof on my hands and knees 2-3 times a year. When I picked up my new ORV Timber Ridge last Oct, the dealer added or went over all the seams with more Dicor sealant. Ask why? Just to be sure 100% everything is sealed good.

Go on the ORV website and see their video of roof trusses. These things are built like tanks. I'm calling mine "The Beast".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the year and a half we've owned our GP, we have no roof issues to report.

I inspect/clean 3-4 times a year and seal where I feel necessary. Not much rain here to help keep the debris and dust off.

Have not heard of roof issues with ORV. They make a very strong curved roof truss design.

Now if I got up there and started jumping up and down, then maybe I would have issues
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There was a brief period a couple years ago where a few trailers had some issues. It seems the wrong fasteners were used and some staples began pulling out, leaving a tell tale lump under the rubber membrane. Those trailers got repaired at the factory and I have not heard of that issue again.

Stuff happens in any manufacturing plant, how it is dealt with is the important thing. I read some other owner forums and not many manufacturers stand behind the product after the sale to the degree ORV does. Some will not even take your phone call or email even if you are still within the warranty period.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
...I read some other owner forums and not many manufacturers stand behind the product after the sale to the degree ORV does. Some will not even take your phone call or email even if you are still within the warranty period.
Forest River comes to mind. I don't think they even publish their contact information, like it's a secret or something. They want everything to go through the dealers.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof