Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Roof, wires and wind...

The solar install has been competed and everything has been preforming seamlessly. Now it’s time to batten down the wires for the solar panels and the WiFi Ranger.

Suggestions and opinions:

Screw down cable ties with Dicor?

Eternabond Tape?

Spots of Dicor every six inches?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seen many ways to do it....I prefer the tape and Dicor method. Hopefully you will never have to remove it.
Cable ties won't last in the sun.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have stuck down the cables from the solar panels with a glob of Dicor and have not encountered any issues. The idea of roof tape and Dicor would be even more secure. I have used a glob of Dicor for satellite dish cables also.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

If it was something I had to do I'd go with the eternabond and dicor combo.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
The solar install has been competed and everything has been preforming seamlessly. Now it’s time to batten down the wires for the solar panels and the WiFi Ranger.

Suggestions and opinions:

Screw down cable ties with Dicor?

Eternabond Tape?

Spots of Dicor every six inches?

I have everything cleaned up in the front cabling and charge controller install in the pass through, now I'm at the point of installing my panels on the roof. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the AM Solar adjustable mounts. Did you use a small piece of Eternabond under each foot and them dicor to completely seal the screws or mounts straight to the roof membrane and dicor to seal?

I'm just going to use a few blobs of dicor to hold the cabling to the roof and see how that works. I only need a conversion from the MC4 to SAE connector for 2 panels and about 2 to 3 feet of extra cable for the third panel.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:28 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
I have everything cleaned up in the front cabling and charge controller install in the pass through, now I'm at the point of installing my panels on the roof. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the AM Solar adjustable mounts. Did you use a small piece of Eternabond under each foot and them dicor to completely seal the screws or mounts straight to the roof membrane and dicor to seal?

I'm just going to use a few blobs of dicor to hold the cabling to the roof and see how that works. I only need a conversion from the MC4 to SAE connector for 2 panels and about 2 to 3 feet of extra cable for the third panel.
I gooped the screw holes, then eternabond butyl under the pads with Dicor covering.

The Eternabond repair tape sounds semi permanent, less likely to fail. I didn’t want to over engineer this in case we want to add more panels in the future.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Used 3M 4200 + SS screws to secure the brackets to the roof. And to cover the screws. Then dabs of 3M 4200 to hold the wires in place. The stuff is semi-permanent as well. (3M 5200 is worse.)
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Used 3M 4200 + SS screws to secure the brackets to the roof. And to cover the screws. Then dabs of 3M 4200 to hold the wires in place. The stuff is semi-permanent as well. (3M 5200 is worse.)
Sounds like you got it done. Did you have to use the primer before the 4200?
I have used this stuff on my boat in the past. Works great for bonding and sealing. Never tried it on TPO or EPDM though.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I used Eternabond Tape every 18" or so and it has held great for several years. I have a one piece gelcoat panel over the roof substrate on my Winnebago. If you have a EPDO "rubber" roof then I don't know , other posters with EPDO roofs may give you their insight.

I suggest that before you tape wires down make sure that all the wire used is UV light proof. I found that wire I used to extend my solar panel cable runs to the junction box was not UV proof and I had to tape wrap the wires with UV proof black electrical tape. If you have that situation you will want to do that before you tape your wires to the roof.

One other thing if there is a junction / splice box on the roof you might open the cover and make sure there is no water pooling up inside of it. I found that I had to seal the screws on the top of the junction box to keep water from leaking into the box from the screw penetrations in the cover.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Sounds like you got it done. Did you have to use the primer before the 4200?
I have used this stuff on my boat in the past. Works great for bonding and sealing. Never tried it on TPO or EPDM though.
IIRC just used alcohol to clean the rubber roof. And certainly there's a strong bond between the rubber roof and the brackets, but I don't trust the OEM glue holding the rubber roof material to the plywood roof to keep the panels from flying off. The SS screws do that.

So in this application the adhesive properties of the 3M 4200 are prolly over-kill. It doesn't do any harm, but any good caulk like the Dicor should be enough to keep the water out.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof