Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Running AC

How long is it safe to run the AC? Supposed to be over 100 next few days. Not too concerned during the day but evenings too hot inside.
AB7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I run mine 24/7 in the summer. I probably haven't run it over about a week and a half like that but I would if I was out longer. I treat it like my home unit. It is basically the same as a window unit and those are run continuously.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours is on when parked in driveway in summer. Set to 88, sometimes 90. Cycles, doesn't seem to stay on continually. Prefer a bit of cool for the interior vs 100+ inside temps. Our summer is many days of 95-105 degs most years.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did a "Bug Out" on July 5th, we've been in very high 90's and over 100* (F) and have been living in it since. We are attached to shore power via the house (we're in the driveway). We've had no issues for the most part. One afternoon was much hotter than the others and the house breaker was tripping, so we did generators for the night. Back on shore power again for several days with no issues.

My first modification -- was due to this heat. I went to Wally World and bought the wirey silver sunshades for autos. In our 20FQ Creekside, they fit perfect in the side dining room windows (and the same window in the bedroom passenger side) as well as the other bedroom window. I also took 3 and placed them on the top of the window sill (above the screen windows) in the big dining room window. Finally, I took the smaller suction cup window 'screens' (sun shade) you typically put in the back car windows for kids and put one in the bathroom skylight. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Honestly, I also do believe this is helping with energy costs as well.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

I wonder if black out curtains would work as well?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Run the AC as long as it's hot outside and needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

I leave one unit on 24/7 in the summer. Set on 80. Keeps the humidity about 27%. I put reflex in all the side windows and sun screens on windshield. We are in Branson at this time and they are both going all day with 100+ heat index. 73 inside. Reflex in windows.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post
We did a "Bug Out" on July 5th, we've been in very high 90's and over 100* (F) and have been living in it since. We are attached to shore power via the house (we're in the driveway). We've had no issues for the most part. One afternoon was much hotter than the others and the house breaker was tripping, so we did generators for the night. Back on shore power again for several days with no issues.

My first modification -- was due to this heat. I went to Wally World and bought the wirey silver sunshades for autos. In our 20FQ Creekside, they fit perfect in the side dining room windows (and the same window in the bedroom passenger side) as well as the other bedroom window. I also took 3 and placed them on the top of the window sill (above the screen windows) in the big dining room window. Finally, I took the smaller suction cup window 'screens' (sun shade) you typically put in the back car windows for kids and put one in the bathroom skylight. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Honestly, I also do believe this is helping with energy costs as well.
Thanks for sharing ,we need to get something for the bathroom and will try this😀
Dave_DianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_DianT View Post
Thanks for sharing ,we need to get something for the bathroom and will try this😀
Finally could get to a computer (vs app) and put a little ditty together in the form of a blog with photos. Hope this inspires and helps!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/mts...montana-79603/
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Blog with photos of 'shades'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_DianT View Post
Finally could get to a computer (vs app) and put a little ditty together in the form of a blog with photos. Hope this inspires and helps!

Old 08-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #11

Good tip on the sunshades. I'll give that a try on the sunny side. I'd also suggest you get yourself a role of that shiny metal duct tape and drop the cover off your A/C. Seal up any small gaps between the intake and exhaust. There is a baffle there that can also slop out of place, make sure yours is sell sealed. I also dropped all the vents and ran a wrap of tape around them to keep air from escaping into the ceiling. Helped on ours quite a bit.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our plenum baffle fell out of place too. Made a 50% difference in air flow to the other registers.

Next have to seal all the small gaps inside there.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post

Your link comes back invalid.....
"Invalid Blog specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Your link comes back invalid.....
"Invalid Blog specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
Thanks for the heads up!!
It some how got 'saved' as a 'draft' and not 'posted' sheesh... LOL

I think it is working now. I wouldn't ever have caught on had you not said so -- so big thanks!http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/mts...montana-79603/