Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pick one up that is being sold in a different climate--say Colorado-There was -0-rust on mine.
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #30

Original poster here, thanks for the comments. Lots of great tips on fixing the rust but I’m not really interested in having to fix a brand new 35k trailer. And buying one from another area? It’s just going to rust eventually bc these are not treated correctly at the factory. Are RVs pieces of sh*t and disposable? This is not acceptable. As I mentioned originally I will snow ski in ski out of this in the Northwest and Canada. Probably going to run into some salt on the road.
Farwellbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #31

Welcome to the world of RV's. As Clint Eastwood would say. "Do you feel lucky"
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #32

We ordered our Coachmen and had to wait for it to be built, which didn't happen until May, delivered to the dealer in June. There is not a speck of rust anywhere on it. We live in MI, so if it had been built earlier it'd have been exposed to salt when they delivered it.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #33

If you like the TT but don't like the rust, tell the dealer what you want. He may be able to get one without the rust, or he may be willing to have the undercarriage stripped and painted properly.
There is no magic to having durable rust free paint. It is not cans of Rustoleum. I have been there and done that. It needs a proper undercoat first.

First a clean solid surface is needed to begin.
Second a strong paint undercoat.
Third a hard high gloss weatherproof top coat.
Any autobody shop can do it properly.
Any TT manufacturer can specify the same on the components they order or build.
Cost vs customer perceived value is the only thing keeping the TT Mfg from delivering.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Cost vs customer perceived value is the only thing keeping the TT Mfg from delivering.
Hit the nail right on the head.
Outdoors RV was our next purchase but now I hesitate until I receive an answer to my email to the company.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #35

Problem is an assembled frame has many hidden areas that arent accessible after the fact so even if you blasted and recoated everything visible you still have alot of inaccessible surfaces..perhaps a maintenance penetrating sealer like say something similar to corrosionx? is a possible limited solution... thin sealers can travel along entrapped areas and will resist corrosion for a while depending on service environments
Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #36

I'd take some rust on the frame over all the other possible issues that I see on other brands.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you live in an area or travel to an area that has rust problems there is a product called "Fluid Film" that is used by Jeepers that will coat and prevent rust. Look on Amazon.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #38

We have company that does rustproofing here. He does not use any type of rubberized spray or anything that gets hard at all. He developed this rustproofing material in 1973.
Is is like a heavy grease with binders and rust inhibitors.

It never hardens!!
My father had his 1974 GMC pickup done the year after he bought it. After 35 years, there is no rust.
This process is amazing. The only down side is that it makes a mess on the driveway for about 2 years in hot weather. Drips and sags, but the protection stays. It is basically self healing.

I had my 2015 Silverado done, and except for the mess when it drips, the bottom of my truck has no rust at all. The dripping stops after about a year.
Mechanics hate the stuff since it never dries and gets all over their tools.
One old time wrench did say that in 15 years, he'll be able to get all the bolts out. Just don't use it anywhere like the tongue or where you may brush against it.

It's not cheap though:
Ducarle Enterprises | Advantages of Rick Fennell Rustproofing
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowars View Post
That looks pretty bad. I'd get on it asap.
It's possible that it picked up a fair amount salt during transport.

Clean it up good with a wire brush and buy a case of gloss black rustoleum or something similar.

We camp at the beach frequently and will touch ours up as needed.

Have fun with the new trailer!
Also in today,s world iy very possibly could be a flood vehicle !
Froggy1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #40

Rust Repair

There is a product called “Extend” that is available from Locktite that
We used on our boat for many years. Works Good and might be
available in quantities that could be sprayed on.
Macvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #41

Ditto on the undercoat. However, My entire belly has a pvc wrap which holds the insulation around the fresh water tank as well as the black and grey tanks.
But, what is exposed it sprayed with undercoating.
OleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Rust killer

Ospho kills rust, then paint or undercoat. Use with caution as its an acid.
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust