Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #15

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthesing View Post
From what I gather, by description, the new tops would be a solid surface veneer (SSV). This is a poor mans version of solid surface material such as Corian, or Avonite. True solid surface would be too dense & heavy for RV use. The down side of SSV is that it is prone to cracking & delamination over time, due to the expansion & contraction coefficients of the SSV, and the substrate it is glued to. Wilsonart came out with the 1st version of SSV about 15 years ago. It was pulled from the market a year later due to too many problems. Just my $.02, and keep your eyes peeled on this material over the future. I would never use it for residential countertops.
It is a true solid surface material. It is quite heavy. It is just like the Corian brand material. If you cut a section of it it is the same material all the way thru. It is not a veneer or lamination of multiple materials. This is why I say that repairing scratches can be done by sanding and polishing. This cannot be done with imitation look-a-like tops. If you get out and about to the rv shows you will see that many rv manufacturers are using (and have been for several year) a true solid surface top...the same material that would be used residentially. I worked with Corian brand tops at Fleetwood over 20 years ago.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
As I recall, the new tops in the ORV TT's are a solid hard material like some of those found at Home Depot. They are light weight and designed for the RV industry. I did a net search on them once but now cannot remember the Mfg, Cuz I don't have it in my TT!!!
It is heavy...as it is the real deal stuff.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
It is a true solid surface material. It is quite heavy. It is just like the Corian brand material. If you cut a section of it it is the same material all the way thru. It is not a veneer or lamination of multiple materials. This is why I say that repairing scratches can be done by sanding and polishing. This cannot be done with imitation look-a-like tops. If you get out and about to the rv shows you will see that many rv manufacturers are using (and have been for several year) a true solid surface top...the same material that would be used residentially. I worked with Corian brand tops at Fleetwood over 20 years ago.
Thank you for pointing out that I have a "imitation look-a-like top". It's a shame I missed the true solid surface top, the type that many RV manufacturers have used for many years, in my luxury line Wind River.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #18
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Highway...Idaho Bob is building a new home...talk to him to to see if he will order another 6 to 8 feet of counter tops for his new kitchen. You can buy it from him and then you can install it at the campout. I might even help..I'll take the dog for a walk!!
No more whining....

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK, I am over it...................for now.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

If he gets good maybe he can do ours
oh oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #21
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
OK, I am over it...................for now.
just think...if you bought a Fleetwood product 20 years ago....you would still have Corian counter tops and you wouldn't need to have buy your new Windriver with the " lookalike" artificial semi solid counter tops.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just have it Rhino Lined, it's the real deal. LOL. That stuff is tough.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #23

That's a good one
Old 10-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #24

FWIW, Solid surface veneer is a thinner version of solid surface material. Standard solid surface is 1/2" thick. The veneers are + - 1/8" thick. It is not multiple layers of anything else. The problem with it is exactly what I mentioned, and whether it is veneer or full thickness it is very brittle. I have been a certified fabricator & installer of every brand out there.

Bill
wthesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #25

Highway,

You don't even want to think about using full thickness solid surface in your RV. It will not hold up to the vibration of travel, and will crack. In residential use, edges are built up to 1 1/2", then machined. The middle is laid out on a hardwood grid for support. The veneer was designed for looks, but adhered to a substrate, such as plywood or MDF. This will absorb more flex, but is poor on impact. Both versions have a high expansion & contraction coefficient. It must be allowed to expand or contract, otherwise it will crack. For residential install, silicone is used to adhere to the wood grid. For veneer, a high solids contact cement should be used so that there is some give. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING HOT ON IT !!!! Use a trivet. When it cracks, it sounds like a gun shot.
wthesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Highway...Idaho Bob is building a new home...talk to him to to see if he will order another 6 to 8 feet of counter tops for his new kitchen. You can buy it from him and then you can install it at the campout. I might even help..I'll take the dog for a walk!!
No more whining....

Coops
Our new home will have an attached RV barn. I'm thinking we don't need a kitchen in the house. We can just go to the barn and use our cheapo laminated fake Corian countertops.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #27

Commercial Member

1/2" thick - yes!
1" edge - yes!
Supported by cabinet frame work, partitions, etc. - yes!
CNC machine routed.

It has been used successfully in the RV industry for years.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #28

Thanks, ORVPDMAN

Tags
scr