Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Sealing front caps to prevent entry of critters

Heads up everybody.

In reviewing another forum there is a thread on this subject. It turns out that critters do find their way into the spaces behind the new "aerodynamic" front caps. Ideas to seal, and still maintain ventilation behind the front cap, include filling entrances with stainless steel wool, adding expanding foam with tubular vents, sandwiches of hardware cloth and ss wool, hardware cloth by itself, etc.

Live critters in those spaces are likely very annoying. Dead critters in those spaces would definitely be worse.

What might your ideas be?

I have another project to add to my spring "get ready to travel" list.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have to admit that I never thought about this possibility!! It definitely is an open area from below. Noticed that when drilling out bad rivet on the front stone guard, and watching the old rivet fall to the driveway!!

Will be watching to see ideas brought up and also thinking about how to do it.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Haven't tried this with the trailer, but in the cottage, heavy wire mesh (about 1/2" square mesh) works. But you have to cover ALL the holes.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been kicking around ideas for a while now about this very topic. The main reason I was thinking of sealing up this area was to keep the cold air out. I did not think of the possibility of critters getting up in there. I do know that the attic space is open to the front cap as well and if a critter did get up there he would have 25 feet of heaven to nest in. Is there a reason why others want this area to breath? My thought is since there is an attic vent and heat rises there would be plenty of ventilation. Worst case maybe add another attic vent towards the front of the trailer and seal up the front cap 100%.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great, that's what I want to do. Go camping and bring back a few critters from the forest. On a deer hunting trip in Colorado we had mice running inside the 5th years ago. I would not want to re live that fun time.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #6

You know there are critters in there when they are running back and forth in the middle of the night above your head. (head of our bed is at the front) Book shelf at the headboard and the critters were running back and forth on the top of the shelf. Sounded like they were inside the trailer!
BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Camper View Post
You know there are critters in there when they are running back and forth in the middle of the night above your head. (head of our bed is at the front) Book shelf at the headboard and the critters were running back and forth on the top of the shelf. Sounded like they were inside the trailer!
It is when you stop hearing them that the worry should start! Are they gone, or are they in there and DEAD?

Bob
Old 02-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After a factory tour on Thursday while picking up our repaired 280RKS, I may be able to shed some info about this concern.

Down at the bottom of the frame behind the front cap are sections of the "rockguard" cut to fit between the frame and the cap. They are attached to the frame, and on the newest models, there is a rubber seal around the front and sides to seal the cap sides as completely as possible. The center of the cap is directly attached to the trailer front crossmember, so only possible way critters would arrive in the center is through the sides. Also, at least on the new 270 model that was going through the lines and probably all, the roof membrane drops down and overlaps behind the cap. Also center was full of insulation, due to internal shelving right there behind cap.

Just looked at ours, the metal panels blocking the lower sides of the cap are there, but no rubber seal. Probably could just push steel wool up around the edges of the plates to stop vermin, or foam.

By the construction I saw, don't see how air flow of any meaning could migrate from the cap into the roof area, due to the roof rubber being pulled down and attached to the front wall.

So, this may help those who may be wondering how to seal the cap against nasty critters!!!

Gerry
Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
After a factory tour on Thursday while picking up our repaired 280RKS, I may be able to shed some info about this concern.

Down at the bottom of the frame behind the front cap are sections of the "rockguard" cut to fit between the frame and the cap. They are attached to the frame, and on the newest models, there is a rubber seal around the front and sides to seal the cap sides as completely as possible. The center of the cap is directly attached to the trailer front crossmember, so only possible way critters would arrive in the center is through the sides. Also, at least on the new 270 model that was going through the lines and probably all, the roof membrane drops down and overlaps behind the cap. Also center was full of insulation, due to internal shelving right there behind cap.

Just looked at ours, the metal panels blocking the lower sides of the cap are there, but no rubber seal. Probably could just push steel wool up around the edges of the plates to stop vermin, or foam.

By the construction I saw, don't see how air flow of any meaning could migrate from the cap into the roof area, due to the roof rubber being pulled down and attached to the front wall.

So, this may help those who may be wondering how to seal the cap against nasty critters!!!

Gerry
Gerry, helpful info, thanks!

Bob
Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am sure if there was an upgrade of any kind, I missed it. I'll have a look and if it's open I'll spray that expanding foam all over.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Highway, it isn't real obvious at first since the bottom of the cap extends to the rear about 6" or so, and the blocking panel is attached up at the frame. I really couldn't see up into the area, due to a back & neck problem when laying on my back (!), but you can reach up and feel the plate.

My guess is that they thought of it early on when the one piece caps came out. Maybe, maybe not. Interested to see who doesn't have them. As we all know, we all miss out on some upgrades sooner or later!!!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just went out and checked. It is really hard to even feel around up there but there is a piece of that alu diamond plate up in there. There is a small gap around its edges but it should slow down the big ones. I expect to miss updates from the date my TT was built and I hope there will always be more updates.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Uninvited critters

Some time ago I participated in a thread about how to prevent critters from crawling into the void between the front cap and the interior trailer wall. Since I can't make my "search" function work I cannot find that thread. Shucks, maybe somebody in that thread actually suggested what I am about to describe!

But I am trying a solution that I will probably never know if it works or not since these critter invasions are a relatively infrequent occurrence. But they do happen! With the hope of deterring mice sized and larger critters I have stuffed the lower front left and right side void spaces with wadded up plastic bird netting. I purchased this at Amazon. This netting is fairly light weight and I think if I were to do it over again, I would use the little sturdier poultry netting with 1" squares (or thereabouts).

If this method works it has the benefit of being cheap (I spent about US$9 for a roll of the netting), it should be unappealing nest material for critters compared to the fiberglas insulation that fills some of the void space, it is easy to install (and remove), it lets air circulate into the void space (if that is actually needed) and it will not rust or corrode. The down side, a really determined critter could pull it out.

For what its worth...

Sure wish I could find the original thread! Maybe one of you will find the thread for me.

Cheers, eh?

Bob
Old 08-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Some time ago I participated in a thread about how to prevent critters from crawling into the void between the front cap and the interior trailer wall. Since I can't make my "search" function work I cannot find that thread. Shucks, maybe somebody in that thread actually suggested what I am about to describe!

But I am trying a solution that I will probably never know if it works or not since these critter invasions are a relatively infrequent occurrence. But they do happen! With the hope of deterring mice sized and larger critters I have stuffed the lower front left and right side void spaces with wadded up plastic bird netting. I purchased this at Amazon. This netting is fairly light weight and I think if I were to do it over again, I would use the little sturdier poultry netting with 1" squares (or thereabouts).

If this method works it has the benefit of being cheap (I spent about US$9 for a roll of the netting), it should be unappealing nest material for critters compared to the fiberglas insulation that fills some of the void space, it is easy to install (and remove), it lets air circulate into the void space (if that is actually needed) and it will not rust or corrode. The down side, a really determined critter could pull it out.

For what its worth...

Sure wish I could find the original thread! Maybe one of you will find the thread for me.

Cheers, eh?

Bob
Hi Bob!

Was this the original thread you were thinking about:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/seal...rs-279270.html

Pete & Sherry
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap, seal, vent