Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Side trim molding - Manufacturer name?

First, I have to give KUDOS about the stellar customer service I have received each time I have called ORV about my new to me TR 280RKS. Courteous, professional, call back when leaving a message, etc. They take the time to answer my many questions and are easy to talk to.

I called about the trim molding on my trailer because it has a slight separation that extends out about 1/4" for about 3"-4" in length. This is on pass side above rear wheel.

NOTE: This is the molding that is above the wheels at about floor level between bottom metal flashing and fiberglass sides. It is installed on both sides of trailer. ORV said it was called an "S" trim.

At the time I called, they did not know the name of the manufacturer of the trim molding, although they will look into finding the name.

I'm in no hurry to replace, as ORV said as long as it is sealed, it will be fine.
I will caulk it with ProFlex and call it good for now. To repair, ORV stated that section of trim would need to be removed and a new trim installed.

In the event I decide to replace, I can order part from ORV and install myself. I would just like to see what it looks like (back side) and see how it installs. Seeing pics will also help me to remove it.

Does anyone know who manufacturers the trim molding I speak of?
Has anyone replaced theirs or had a bulge/separation?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9793.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	179360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9794.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	179361  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9796.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	179363  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #2

Interesting. I have the exact same issue in the exact same place on my GP. I'd planned on sealing the crack with the ProFlex also.
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin6 View Post
Interesting. I have the exact same issue in the exact same place on my GP. I'd planned on sealing the crack with the ProFlex also.
Interesting to say the least....coincidence?...would suggest each of you call or better yet send an email with pictures of the issues.

Could be a Manufacturing or material flaw that may an inherent on going problem.

Good catch.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

It screws on.....needs more screws....the vinyl insert material comes in a roll, get from Amazon or E Bay.....need to measure the width of it, as they offer 2 widths....just squeeze the vinyl to remove and install
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't know where to get the mldg, surprised that ORV wouldn't have an answer for you. You might try a rv repair shop.

It's not screwed on like prev guessed!!! It is stapled on to the side and the lower skirt (grey formed panel) slides into it and locks in place. ORV says you can pull the skirt panel down to access the mldg and the staples (after taking off the skirt braces!!). Had a short section on the main slide that was loose, I just used the geoflex sealant to reattach since it was only a short amount. ORV has heard of this problem.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Don't know where to get the mldg, surprised that ORV wouldn't have an answer for you. You might try a rv repair shop.

It's not screwed on like prev guessed!!! It is stapled on to the side and the lower skirt (grey formed panel) slides into it and locks in place. ORV says you can pull the skirt panel down to access the mldg and the staples (after taking off the skirt braces!!). Had a short section on the main slide that was loose, I just used the geoflex sealant to reattach since it was only a short amount. ORV has heard of this problem.
Correct....it is stapled and Silkaflex sealant is also used. It is not the old style trim molding that has a vinyl insert.

ORV did not mention anything about a known problem. Perhaps it has to do with sun exposure on this side.

BTW...ORV does sell the molding but did not know at the time who manufactures it. They explained how to remove and replace, but in this case, a pic would be worth a 1000 words!

Once sealed, it will be fine. It's the bulged look that bothers me

Really wish I knew who makes it so I could see how it mounts.

I also hate to open a fresh tube of proflex just for this location.... as all other areas do not need any sealant at this time
Old 10-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Correct....it is stapled and Silkaflex sealant is also used. It is not the old style trim molding that has a vinyl insert.

ORV did not mention anything about a known problem. Perhaps it has to do with sun exposure on this side.

BTW...ORV does sell the molding but did not know at the time who manufactures it. They explained how to remove and replace, but in this case, a pic would be worth a 1000 words!

Once sealed, it will be fine. It's the bulged look that bothers me

Really wish I knew who makes it so I could see how it mounts.

I also hate to open a fresh tube of proflex just for this location.... as all other areas do not need any sealant at this time
I would agree that sun exposure plays a big part in the warping and separation. I just checked mine and the bulge and separation has gotten notably worse in the last couple of days from exposure. At this point I don't see sealing it is going to fix the issue without reattaching the skirting with screws first.
I usually extend the awning out a ways to shade the side of the trailer, but stopped doing that because the awning fabric is starting to pit and crack already.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess you place a wood/sheet metal screw directly into molding at center of bulge and then caulk.

However, removing the entire section of molding and replacing with a new section (it is stapled in) and caulked with Silkaflex is the process suggested by ORV.

Let's keep this thread alive and see if others have the same issue.

Also, let's see if we can get manufacturer name so we can research and see how it is attached and removed. When the time comes, I plan on tackling this project myself.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you think the material is expanding or contracting due to the changes in temperature or sun exposure?

We're picking up a new TR next Thursday, so I'll put it on the list of things to look at. But like you said, time and weather condition might play into this happening.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Without taking it apart, I can only make an educated guess....

direct sun, humidity, and weather changes (hot / cold) will all attribute to expansion/contraction. If not properly mounted/fastened, these variables will play a greater role in separation from the sidewall. Hence, my interest in knowing name of manufacturer and reviewing how material is designed, shaped, and mounted.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post

Would that be Geocel ProFlex? I had just spoke with Rick at ORV about the seam pulling and leaving gaps on the top edge of the skirt last week. He thought I could get this at Home Depot.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I purchased my Geocel ProFlex RV from Amazon for about $12. It can also be purchased at Camping World for about $6.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
First, I have to give KUDOS about the stellar customer service I have received each time I have called ORV about my new to me TR 280RKS. Courteous, professional, call back when leaving a message, etc. They take the time to answer my many questions and are easy to talk to.

I called about the trim molding on my trailer because it has a slight separation that extends out about 1/4" for about 3"-4" in length. This is on pass side above rear wheel.

NOTE: This is the molding that is above the wheels at about floor level between bottom metal flashing and fiberglass sides. It is installed on both sides of trailer. ORV said it was called an "S" trim.

At the time I called, they did not know the name of the manufacturer of the trim molding, although they will look into finding the name.

I'm in no hurry to replace, as ORV said as long as it is sealed, it will be fine.
I will caulk it with ProFlex and call it good for now. To repair, ORV stated that section of trim would need to be removed and a new trim installed.

In the event I decide to replace, I can order part from ORV and install myself. I would just like to see what it looks like (back side) and see how it installs. Seeing pics will also help me to remove it.

Does anyone know who manufacturers the trim molding I speak of?
Has anyone replaced theirs or had a bulge/separation?

Thanks!
Following up to see if you got this fixed? I know the bulging on mine got a lot worse just before we put it into winter storage. I need to get this repaired come spring and was wondering if anybody has found a good way to make the repair themselves.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did purchase the trim molding from my local Amerimax dealer. Amerimax is manufacturer. They primarily sell aluminum products for the home awning market.

ORV refers to the part as, "S Lock."

I have not installed as of yet. I did push in the mounted one as best I could and then caulked along top using the Geocel sealant. This will provide a good deal to prevent any water entry.

I may tackle the replacement this spring/summer. It is an aesthetic blemish, nothing structural, so the immediacy of replacement is not warranted.

There's no question that it is the direct sun/heat that is causing mine to separate from the sidewall. Once I remove, I'll be able to determine how staples were installed. I bet the stapes are spaced too far apart. My guess spacing is inconsistent and is somewhere between 8"-12". This is based on where bulges/separation are appearing. IMO....staples should be every 2".