Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Slide alignment

My drivers side dinette slide is tight on the top but not on the bottom. No pictures as the unit is at the dealership.

the seals are nice and compressed at the top but I can fit my finger invetween the wall and the slide. Dealer says not adjustable and not to worry. Can someone looks at their slide and see if it is the same? Maybe I am just being paranoid!

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is basically BS.

How about when the slide is extended, does it seal evenly all the way around?
Is it a Schwintek slide?
There is a upper and lower track, if the teeth were engaged when the room was slanted, you would see this problem.

I would be curios to see if when the RV was level, if the slide out was level....my bet is no.

Too bad the RV is at the dealer.

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is the slide mechanism a Schwintek, the type with an upper slide rail and a lower rail on the slide walls?? Or is the mechanism all under the slide room??

If Schwintek, I can't find anything in the Lippert pdf's showing any adjustments. You would think there would be some way. Only thought is that the lower rails may be one tooth off on the lower drive gears compared to the upper gears. If that can happen, looks like the room may have to come out and have the gears realigned.

You can see the manuals here: Technical Support Center and Videos

If the "stuff" is under the room, there definitely should be adjustments. The support page should help you determine which mechanism is on your 5th.

After having to have my slide repaired the second time we used it, I did my own fine tuning of the adjustments to get a good open and close. But the main slide room is a lot bigger than yours (dinette and sofa).
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is a schwintek slide with everything on the sides. I just heard from the dealer this morning so I thouht that I would reach out here first. I am goint to look at a unit at the dealership when I pick mine up and compare.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
My drivers side dinette slide is tight on the top but not on the bottom. No pictures as the unit is at the dealership.

the seals are nice and compressed at the top but I can fit my finger invetween the wall and the slide. Dealer says not adjustable and not to worry. Can someone looks at their slide and see if it is the same? Maybe I am just being paranoid!

Rick
When our slide is in it is tight at the top and is maybe 1/2 inch further out on the bottom so fairly tight. When slide is out it is even from top to bottom against the wall.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Regarding the slide alignment...I just went out and had a look at my slides. I looked at them fully in and they align well with very similar seal compression from top to bottom....I don't think there should be any significant gap on the lower end when the slide is all the way in. That would bother me also as I don't want moisture/rain to get into the trailer while driving. Hopefully there is a reasonable solution....
AlexinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Orvpdman....any comments please?

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post

Rick

I have the same issue with our dinette slide. Tight on top while the sealing strips along the bottom sides barely touch. I pointed it out to the dealer when we picked it up. They said the lower rails on the slide were installed wrong and that I will need to take it back to the factory to have it repaired. My main concern was water migrating in when traveling in a rain storm.
Trailer is now in storage and we are considering making the trip to ORV next spring to have it repaired.
Good luck.
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin6 View Post
I have the same issue with our dinette slide. Tight on top while the sealing strips along the bottom sides barely touch. I pointed it out to the dealer when we picked it up. They said the lower rails on the slide were installed wrong and that I will need to take it back to the factory to have it repaired. My main concern was water migrating in when traveling in a rain storm.
Trailer is now in storage and we are considering making the trip to ORV next spring to have it repaired.
Good luck.
Taking back to factory That could be a very expensive trip for adjustments! ORV needs to get dealers trained to do better service and minimize issues leaving factory!! Seams lick most dealers just want to sell After they get your dollars all bets are off, POOR service and follow thru
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Only thought is that the lower rails may be one tooth off on the lower drive gears compared to the upper gears. If that can happen, looks like the room may have to come out and have the gears realigned.
You can see the manuals here: Technical Support Center and Videos
I think this is the fix. I wonder if one can access the lower gear drive units without taking the slide completely out?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think this is the fix. I wonder if one can access the lower gear drive units without taking the slide completely out?
The lower track is a "L-Bracket" and helps support the slideout box.
I think you would have better luck if you tried to remove the screws from the top track.

then at this point you would have two options.

1. Leaving the upper tack engaged, move the top of the room out one tooth worth of distance and re-attach. Down side here is you will be making new screw holes...and plugging the old ones.

2. Try to disengage the upper track, move the top of the room, and then re-attach the track using the same holes.

The side drive bars go through both gears. Not sure how you could adjust those.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

Rick,

What did you end up doing about slide gap? Did you take it to a different dealer, the factory or leave it as it was?

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Rick,

What did you end up doing about slide gap? Did you take it to a different dealer, the factory or leave it as it was?

Happy New Year
Happy new year to you as well.

Read my post on the awesome service that I am getting on the thread below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/repl...ng-269028.html
Old 01-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #14

I posted this same issue after taking delivery of our Wind River in August. Took to the dealer and they said they couldn't find a problem when they looked at it. I don't think they even looked at it because they didn't fix anything else! I don't have faith in dealers after they sell units. In fact, ours came back with a nice long scratch after "being in the shop for repairs". I read online that you must have a full battery charge when pushing and pulling the slide. Now we always have our truck running when pulling and pushing in the slide to ensure we have enough juice to get that initial push and pull started. Otherwise your slide may not have the power to start the motors and track evenly. We haven't had a problem since. JMHO. RV guy posted instructions in my previous post) on how to adjust slide, but no way would I touch it and void warranty. Read the info. Says only authorized technician can repair. Good luck!
Windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide