Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Slide question...... bottom of main slide comes in a little more than top?

Hello all--

My new to me 280RKS has two slides....main and bedroom wardrobe.

The main slide comes in fine but I noticed that the bottom of the slide comes in a couple inches after top has reach max.

All slide functions appear normal...no noises/grinding, smooth operation, outside of slide/seals are pressed up against trailer

Is this normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the gear rack Lippert system, then normal. The bottom of the slide floor is slightly elevated inside after it's retracted, looks like its tilting. Try not to step on the far right or left end when retracted.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, normal!! Lots of people ask the same thing. The side walls are not square, so when the top edge hits the trailer wall, the bottom continues in and tilts the floor up inside. When shut, wall is straight at edges but since the side walls are slightly off square the short side is inside and higher than main floor.

Along with the above warning of not stepping on front and rear of slide floor, DON'T step in center!! Floor is 3/4" plywood with a f/glass bottom, and doesn't really like heavy weight in middle or anywhere when slide in!! During travel and storage I use a piece of 1X4 padded to support the center of slide floor. Keeps the dinette short wall from pulling away from the side wall as we experienced early on.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
During travel and storage I use a piece of 1X4 padded to support the center of slide floor. Keeps the dinette short wall from pulling away from the side wall as we experienced early on.
I'm a little confused by this statement. Are you saying / suggesting, when the slide is in (Timber Ridge 24RKS with a one Mountain Dinette slide) I should not eat at the table or store anything under the table?

Many long driving trips, we stop for lunch at a rest area and sit in the dinette for lunch or boon-docking at a Walmart keeping the slide closed. We do store one 24 pack of water bottles under the dinette table near the middle outside wall.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think your slide room is built any different than the ones that have the through the frame slide mechanism so the pressure on the bottom structure of the slide is the same - the main difference is that with the Schwintek slides the bottom is supported buy rollers while the sides are supported by the rack and gears on the side.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My comments were directed at SoCal and his similar 280RKS. The 24RKS does not have a 13 foot long slide that carries a dinette and a very heavy couch/bed!! And, I would not sit on the dinette when the slide is in. Try standing on a sheet of 3/4" plywood blocked up at only the ends and see how much it sags!!! I didn't say anything about storing stuff!! As the sly old fox said, the Schwintek style really isn't any different than the frame style for support when slide is in. The edge of floor is still sitting above the trailer main floor by 1-2 inches. No support under it except at the wall edge. But with a much shorter floor you may be able to do that. What would ORV say to using the dinette with slide in, is there anything in the manual!!??
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #7

I always thought that the Schwintek slides came in level and didn't leave a big gap at the end when closed.
Either way a piece of plywood under the leading edge makes them usable.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The OP has a large slide in a Blackstone. Thread got hijacked with another question about sitting in a dinette on a Schwintek slide while in, you are right about the top and bottom of the slide coming in at the same time.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For clarification, per ORV, on my late 2016 280 RKS Mountain Ridge......

Slide mechanism for wardrobe is a “Schwintek” rack and pinion with 2 motors on top

Slide mechanism for the large main slide is an “Alco” Ram Slide
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
During travel and storage I use a piece of 1X4 padded to support the center of slide floor. Keeps the dinette short wall from pulling away from the side wall as we experienced early on.
Tuquala....

That padded 1x4 is placed where? How long is it?

Can you please describe the dinette short wall pulling away from side wall scenario? I need to see of this is happening in my rig.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
SoCal, the board is aboot 8-10" long, memory, can't go measure right now!!! I put it under slide when in, just under the edge of short dinette wall, and slightly under the sofa leg. I have a orange "crime scene" type ribbon tied to a plastic handle screwed to the edge, and a printed tape note by the switch panel to help "remind" me to remove it before opening the slide!! It has been opened before removing a few times when my brain fades away from the moment!! Doesn't seem to hurt anything since the smooth f/glass bottom of slide and the carpet under the slide keeps the block from going along with the slide!! But better to try to remember than having to repair something not expected!!!

I have found that on some of the rough roads we travel the block will occasionally get "pushed" out from under the slide edge. Hasn't happened often, and hasn't had any adverse effects on the short wall, since ORV did some work on the wall and seat base.

ORV told me that there was an update in the outside wall to help with the attachment of the dinette wall in the 2015 models. Ours had that extra alum stud, but there weren't enough screws in the wall to keep tight. Yours is a later build than ours, so should have the alum stud inside the wall. But, check the attachment screws at the top of short wall (remove the vinyl top piece) and check the seat base screws. I would caution using anything longer (if you decide to add some) than the ones ORV uses, OR you will be looking at the points sticking out of the slide floor!!! No, didn't happen to me, but was very aware of it when researching the problem!!

I have your e-mail, and I am going to send you a couple of "home movies" that I took and sent to ORV before it went in for some repairs in Feb of '16. Shows how much the floor was dropping and pulling on the short wall. Enjoy!!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
SoCal, the board is aboot 8-10" long, memory, can't go measure right now!!! I put it under slide when in, just under the edge of short dinette wall, and slightly under the sofa leg. I have a orange "crime scene" type ribbon tied to a plastic handle screwed to the edge, and a printed tape note by the switch panel to help "remind" me to remove it before opening the slide!! It has been opened before removing a few times when my brain fades away from the moment!! Doesn't seem to hurt anything since the smooth f/glass bottom of slide and the carpet under the slide keeps the block from going along with the slide!! But better to try to remember than having to repair something not expected!!!

I have found that on some of the rough roads we travel the block will occasionally get "pushed" out from under the slide edge. Hasn't happened often, and hasn't had any adverse effects on the short wall, since ORV did some work on the wall and seat base.

ORV told me that there was an update in the outside wall to help with the attachment of the dinette wall in the 2015 models. Ours had that extra alum stud, but there weren't enough screws in the wall to keep tight. Yours is a later build than ours, so should have the alum stud inside the wall. But, check the attachment screws at the top of short wall (remove the vinyl top piece) and check the seat base screws. I would caution using anything longer (if you decide to add some) than the ones ORV uses, OR you will be looking at the points sticking out of the slide floor!!! No, didn't happen to me, but was very aware of it when researching the problem!!

I have your e-mail, and I am going to send you a couple of "home movies" that I took and sent to ORV before it went in for some repairs in Feb of '16. Shows how much the floor was dropping and pulling on the short wall. Enjoy!!
Thanks Tuquala!! Much appreciated....
since we both have the the same model, your experience is priceless when it comes to my learning curve with this brand/model
Old 12-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You velly velcome!! I a**ume that you received the short videos?? Anything else comes up, let me know, and if I have experience with it I'll try to help!!

GB
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
You velly velcome!! I a**ume that you received the short videos?? Anything else comes up, let me know, and if I have experience with it I'll try to help!!

GB

Do you have the same slide mechanisms as I described in post #9? I've never verified and looked for identification placards/stickers/etc for names on the actual mechanisms....those names were provided by ORV

Tags
slide