Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide Topper install

Hello again:

How many out there have installed the slide toppers themselves? Looks like a very good thing to do to prevent issues later on.

Looked at a couple of youtube videos on it, doesn't look very complicated.
Please respond if you have any thoughts and suggestions for this project.

One of mine is small (4 feet) and the larger one is 14 feet. The small one is higher up on the side.

Thanks!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my fabric from ToughTops.com, the best stuff they had cause I don't want to do this again for a while. I followed the video on their website, to include buying the oil filter wrench they recommended from Harbor Frieght. 'Twas so simple, but it does take two persons. I thought later " maybe I shoulda put one of those aluminum protectors on first".
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should qualify my question.....

I am looking at installing new toppers on the side of the rig, not just the fabric. Probably Dometic with the shields.

Thanks!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before getting slide toppers with the shields, I would do some inquiries about the shields holding the back of the toppers down and having puddling problems. Look at the ORV website under options, you will see a picture with those toppers. At first I thought it was just the camera angle but was told buy my dealer that it was not, that they do slant back. Dealer is installing toppers without shields on our new F28rk.
Rylrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't get the wrap. It will help with sun exposure when slide closed, but (as stated) they do press down on the fabric, and also can wear into the stitching along the sides of the fabric.

I have installed 4 in the last 5 or so years. Not a hard job, fairly simple. On the 14 footer you WILL need a helper or 2 to slide into the wall rail!!! I have installed the Carefree SOKIII mostly. Good brackets, easy to adjust roller tension if necc. Both of mine on the 280RKS are white without the wrap. Less likely to sun damage as fast as a black fabric.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Should qualify my question.....

I am looking at installing new toppers on the side of the rig, not just the fabric. Probably Dometic with the shields.

Thanks!
You mean new roller tubes and all. Don't know about your shills, but for me, no. I'd get someone professional and bonded to do the drilling and sealing and preloading and all. Someone I could get to stand behind their work.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, slide