Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Slideout closed raises its floor raised up, problem?

Our 2018 Blackstone 260rlws slideout (s/o) floor lifts up when slideout closes. Gap varies but is greatest at s/o end walls. Is this common in ORV trailers? Makes us reluctant to sit in slideout when conditions don't allow extending s/o (i.e., freeway rest area parking).

Your observations and thoughts please? Btw, we've not experienced this limitation in previous rv's.
gbgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

My guess is the slide mechanism need adjustment, if your RV is still covered by warranty return to dealer to make it right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

Gotta go someplace......up is the way mine goes.....just don't walk on the unsupported edge
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

Why not call ORV? I don't get why people won't call the MFG instead of asking non model owners about problems.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normal for that type slide. Ours does it and works fine. No adjustments needed. Lippert rack and pinion system.

I place strips of 1X wood under the raised part so I can safely walk on it. Not a good idea to put weight on the raised portions, since it's just plywood under there. We sit in our dinette with it retracted occasionally.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Normal for that type slide. Ours does it and works fine. No adjustments needed. Lippert rack and pinion system.

I place strips of 1X wood under the raised part so I can safely walk on it.
+1

You're not supposed to sit/stand on it while closed if it's not supported in some way. You can cause damage.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Why not call ORV? I don't get why people won't call the MFG instead of asking non model owners about problems.
He posted his question to the correct forum.....others can post if they want and have help to lend to the problem. I post on other forums all the time.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I place strips of 1X wood under the raised part so I can safely walk on it. Not a good idea to put weight on the raised portions, since it's just plywood under there. We sit in our dinette with it retracted occasionally.
This is the first i have ever heard of having to "shim" a slideout floor when it is retracted. We camp a lot at Wal Marts and smaller campsites where we can't extend our slideout. I have never supported anything with blocking or shims when it is retracted.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As mentioned, that is normal and designed for that type of slide (undercarriage arms). The slide walls are not square, narrower at top by a small amount. When the top edge of slide hits the trailer wall at the upper edge, it stops, and the slide continues in and tilts the floor up. Just the way it is supposed to work. Watch the slide from outside as it closes to see it do its thing!!!

As to stepping on floor when slide in, not recommended esp on the very long slides. The floor is just over 3/4" thick in ORV trailers, strong but you will cause sag in the middle if done regularly. Our slide is a 13 footer, and I use a block of 1X4 covered in thin outdoor carpet set under the middle of slide when slide in and traveling. At first, even without stepping on edge, it was pulling the dinette wall away from slide outer wall. No more now with block. Another thing to remember, but worth it with a super slide. The Lippert slides (rack and rails on outside walls) don't lift when retracting, but I would still suggest not walking on them or sitting in slide when retracted.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The manual for my 2013 Wind River 280RLS specifically states not to walk/stand on the slide floor when the slide is retracted.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
The manual for my 2013 Wind River 280RLS specifically states not to walk/stand on the slide floor when the slide is retracted.
So, when you stop for lunch along the road, you have to put your slideout out to eat at the table or stand and eat at the counter? My current slideout has the rack and pinion along the slidewall so I guess that is a superior system to what ORV uses.

If I can't use my camper with the slide retracted, that is a deal breaker for sure.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #12

Thanks for your interest and feedback. We'd not encountered this before and it caught us by surprise. Will create the necessary board and use it (groan). Because we frequently used our slideout (when closed) while traveling or during intense weather, I wish we'd noticed this limitation before purchasing it.
gbgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfred View Post
So, when you stop for lunch along the road, you have to put your slideout out to eat at the table or stand and eat at the counter? My current slideout has the rack and pinion along the slidewall so I guess that is a superior system to what ORV uses.

If I can't use my camper with the slide retracted, that is a deal breaker for sure.
No just stick some wood under the leading edge. And no the Schwintek is not superior to the Lippert rack type. The Lippert rack type has one motor not 4. The rack types are able to carry heavier loads. Thats why you don't see rack types on large slides. Usually light weight dinette slides or bed, closet type.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
No just stick some wood under the leading edge. And no the Schwintek is not superior to the Lippert rack type. The Lippert rack type has one motor not 4. The rack types are able to carry heavier loads. Thats why you don't see rack types on large slides. Usually light weight dinette slides or bed, closet type.
And I would imagine you would want a power switch or deadman of some sort to cut the power to the slideout switch when that board is in so you have less chance of running the slide out with that board under there.

Tags
floor, slide, slideout