Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
*sob* But.. but.. BUT I DON'T WANNA go home!

Ok ORV Gang, it's Mother Nature pulling the plug.

Sobbing aside, let's put a useful ORV RIG Thread together from seasoned veterans about the best tips and tricks for winterizing our beloved units when heading south isn't an option (cue more sobs)...

Things I'd really like to hear you chime in on:

• Learn from my mistakes, do it this way...

• I love this product

• I didn't care for this product and found a better one...

• In my experience...

•My timetable/ temps of giving in...

• other noteworthy chatter to help first time winterizing newbies out.

>> While we plan to 'dry camp' (?) without all the luxuries, what are the MUST DOs? 
Name:   IMG_4042.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  27.4 KB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm by no means a veteran -- we just got our 2017 25RDS this summer -- but I do have some input on tow vehicles that I was not able to find during my research stage.

After driving the trailer now with three different trucks (1/2 ton gas/crew cab/short box with 9500 max tow, 3/4 ton diesel/double cab/long box with 13000 max tow, and 3/4 ton gas/double cab/short box with 13000 max tow), I've reached a number of conclusions:

1. If the trailer weight exceeds 80% of the max tow, you'll really notice the road bounce and horizontal pull.
2. Between the two 3/4 tons, the longer wheelbase of the diesel/long box does have a noticeable improvement on the horizontal pull.
3. The diesel's torque is much better at hills, but the gas was sufficient to maintain speed over any pass we threw at it.
4. The diesel MPG was roughly the same on flat ground as the gas but far exceeds the gas on hills. Still, I calculated it at 50,000-100,000 miles before the increased cost of the diesel engine offsets the savings in overall fuel cost.
5. A hitch with some kind of sway control does have a noticeable improvement on sway, especially when it's windy.
6. The stiffer suspension of the 3/4 tons is very helpful in reducing road bounce.
7. After accounting for tongue and fuel weight, a 1/2 ton leaves only around 100-200 lbs for stuff in the truck.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MT Sam, are you asking about putting it away for the winter or using it during the winter? Usually "winterizing" refers to preparing your trailer for non-use during the winter months, i.e. Draining the water lines etc.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are going out once more. I will winterize the water lines before we come home. I can't say I have any tricks for winterizing but I have developed a process for completing it. I prefer using antifreeze to winterize versus air not because I had a bad experience just learned to do with antifreeze so I prefer to stay with what I am comfortable with. My process is to flush the tanks with water and then shut off the water heater. I drain the tanks. Switch the valves to bypass and open the low point drains until nothing runs out and close them. I remove the sacrificial anode from the water heater ( after it's cooled so I don't burn my hands) and drain the hot water heater. I open the pressure valve to speed the draining up. Once it's drained I plug the opening with a cloth. Next I place the winterization hose in a jug of rv antifreeze and turn on the water pump. Working from the furthest tap away moving to the closet I open each one until antifreeze runs out including the shower and toilet. Don't forget about the outdoor shower or other outside taps if you have them. Usually takes about 3 gallons. Once complete I shut off the pump and clean up the antifreeze in the sinks and shower tub. Once the water lines are winterized I go through each cupboard in the trailer and the pass through storage to ensure anything that could attract rodents or be damaged by freezing is removed. I also learned the hard way to remove things like my Tassimo, coffee maker, ice maker etc. Following that I check all the windows and vents to ensure they are closed properly. We remove all the bedding and towels for the winter as well. I also remove the television because it's bait for two legged rats. We cover the mattress with the mattress cover that came with the trailer. I remove the batteries from the smoke detectors and remove the remotes for the television, sound system and trailer. Once I've done the inside I check the tires to make sure they are at proper pressure going into storage. Once I've placed the trailer in storage I remove the battery. I found from my boats trolling motor batteries that keeping deep cycles in warm storage area extends their life significantly. Once it's in storage I go back home and read on this forum about all the people still using their trailers.........sigh.
This was the way I was taught and it works for me, others may do things different.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Good write up John or Linda. That's pretty much what I'll do too.

Additionally, over the past couple months I've been collecting large enough cardboard boxes to cut up and fit in the windows to keep the sun off the day/night shades. To cover the entry door window I picked up one of those reflective Camco door window covers that attach with velcro. (A Slim Shade might be one of next years projects to keep the light out.)

As for the tires I usually cover them but since I'm replacing them next spring they can sit nekkid.

As for keeping critters out the previous owner did an excellent job of sealing up any possible entry points with steel wool so I'll recheck those spots to make sure all is still good.

Depending on the weather I'd like do a couple of more outings before parking it away for the winter. We've only had this Creek Side for two months but so far we just love it and look forward to a full season next year.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post

As for keeping critters out the previous owner did an excellent job of sealing up any possible entry points with steel wool so I'll recheck those spots to make sure all is still good.

I use steel wool (actually SOS pads) in each of my openings for water and power. (3 total) Along with the pads I stuff a Bounce dryer sheet into each opening. I buy a couple flea and tick collars for pets, cut them in 1/2 and place them into the opening. This seems to keep rodents and those tiny little bugs out. The last thing I do is tape the flip up covers securely down.
Every storage compartment gets treated to a couple Bounce dryer sheets as well as they are placed all over inside my camper. I even toss a few underneath for good measure. I gave up on mothballs years ago. The odor seemed to linger right up until I was ready to put it away the following year.
I store my MH in a large storage (100' X 120' barn which is filled completely each fall The first year I used this facility I talked the owner into collecting $3.00 from each renter to buy De-Con pellets. The owner sets the boxes out when he closes the barn up the last of October. He places them all around the inside walls of the barn so rodents can find them without having to dig into a camper, boat, truck or car. Last spring most all the pellets were still in the boxes untouched. No one complained about rodent damage.
Lynn
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
MT Sam, are you asking about putting it away for the winter or using it during the winter? Usually "winterizing" refers to preparing your trailer for non-use during the winter months, i.e. Draining the water lines etc.

Hey Off Road!
Great question! We *need* to get her dry. Weather is on the way into Montana- 20s. We still want to take her out but we feel with winter starting up we need to keep from freezing/breaking lines.

We thought our 20FQ came with tank warmers. Ummmm apparently not grrrrr. So our thought is to do what is necessary- go dry, but still use her to break the elements- wind cold.

Completely new to this, so looking to do it the right way the first time.

Thinking we are doing winter with - a bed, stove, furnace, fridge?? But no toilet, bath, or sinks.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
PS and yes at some point, I'll really be whining as she's gonna be safer sitting in the driveway than moving on slick roads... so I guess I'm looking at a two step break down of winter.

I'll take some cheese and crackers with my red wine now... lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
We are going out once more. I will winterize the water lines before we come home. I can't say I have any tricks for winterizing but I have developed a process for completing it. I prefer using antifreeze to winterize versus air not because I had a bad experience just learned to do with antifreeze so I prefer to stay with what I am comfortable with. My process is to flush the tanks with water and then shut off the water heater. I drain the tanks. Switch the valves to bypass and open the low point drains until nothing runs out and close them. I remove the sacrificial anode from the water heater ( after it's cooled so I don't burn my hands) and drain the hot water heater. I open the pressure valve to speed the draining up. Once it's drained I plug the opening with a cloth. Next I place the winterization hose in a jug of rv antifreeze and turn on the water pump. Working from the furthest tap away moving to the closet I open each one until antifreeze runs out including the shower and toilet. Don't forget about the outdoor shower or other outside taps if you have them. Usually takes about 3 gallons. Once complete I shut off the pump and clean up the antifreeze in the sinks and shower tub. Once the water lines are winterized I go through each cupboard in the trailer and the pass through storage to ensure anything that could attract rodents or be damaged by freezing is removed. I also learned the hard way to remove things like my Tassimo, coffee maker, ice maker etc. Following that I check all the windows and vents to ensure they are closed properly. We remove all the bedding and towels for the winter as well. I also remove the television because it's bait for two legged rats. We cover the mattress with the mattress cover that came with the trailer. I remove the batteries from the smoke detectors and remove the remotes for the television, sound system and trailer. Once I've done the inside I check the tires to make sure they are at proper pressure going into storage. Once I've placed the trailer in storage I remove the battery. I found from my boats trolling motor batteries that keeping deep cycles in warm storage area extends their life significantly. Once it's in storage I go back home and read on this forum about all the people still using their trailers.........sigh.
This was the way I was taught and it works for me, others may do things different.

Awesome run thru! Thank you. Are you putting the plastic wrap over the mattress?? I carefully removed ours and stored it thinking it would be a good thing on hand if the vent cover over the bed was ever damaged by hail. At least I could insert the mattress and tape up the bottom edge of the bag.

I may just over think and over worry...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post

Additionally, over the past couple months I've been collecting large enough cardboard boxes to cut up and fit in the windows to keep the sun off the day/night shades. To cover the entry door window I picked up one of those reflective Camco door window covers that attach with velcro. (A Slim Shade might be one of next years projects to keep the light out.)

As for the tires I usually cover them but since I'm replacing them next spring they can sit nekkid.

Depending on the weather I'd like do a couple of more outings before parking it away for the winter. We've only had this Creek Side for two months but so far we just love it and look forward to a full season next year.

Hey 60sumtin!

Gosh we sure do love our Creekside too. We've had her three months and we don't want this ORV honeymoon to end lol. If only we could just snowbird it!! Ahhhhh... dreams!

Good idea on the windows, added to my list if she sits still. I just saw that shade for the first time two days ago. Man wish I'd seen that before the Velcro silver window reflector... that may just happen on ours next yr too. Let me know your thoughts if you beat me there...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post
Awesome run thru! Thank you. Are you putting the plastic wrap over the mattress?? I carefully removed ours and stored it thinking it would be a good thing on hand if the vent cover over the bed was ever damaged by hail. At least I could insert the mattress and tape up the bottom edge of the bag.

I may just over think and over worry...

I don't wrap our mattress with plastic because imho it is better to let it breathe than trap moisture inside the plastic.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I use steel wool (actually SOS pads) in each of my openings for water and power. (3 total) Along with the pads I stuff a Bounce dryer sheet into each opening. I buy a couple flea and tick collars for pets, cut them in 1/2 and place them into the opening. This seems to keep rodents and those tiny little bugs out. The last thing I do is tape the flip up covers securely down.

Every storage compartment gets treated to a couple Bounce dryer sheets as well as they are placed all over inside my camper. I even toss a few underneath for good measure. I gave up on mothballs years ago. The odor seemed to linger right up until I was ready to put it away the following year.

I store my MH in a large storage (100' X 120' barn which is filled completely each fall The first year I used this facility I talked the owner into collecting $3.00 from each renter to buy De-Con pellets. The owner sets the boxes out when he closes the barn up the last of October. He places them all around the inside walls of the barn so rodents can find them without having to dig into a camper, boat, truck or car. Last spring most all the pellets were still in the boxes untouched. No one complained about rodent damage.

Lynn

Lynn that is awesome!! We've got the tomcat bait ready to go. Our unit will be outside this year and that means I'm going to need to be vigilant with a kid shovel and climbing on the roof to prevent damming. Dream is to build a drive thru bus Barn at the new house. Dreams...

Never thought about pet collars, sounds like it would work for bugs. Mine freeze lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
I don't wrap our mattress with plastic because imho it is better to let it breathe than trap moisture inside the plastic.

Ok so I'm thinking on the right path then. Plastic wrap only if the roof leaks. Just cover with a sheet to keep it clean.

I am sure I'm making this process WAY harder and creating more anxiety than truly necessary. [emoji849]
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post
Ok so I'm thinking on the right path then. Plastic wrap only if the roof leaks. Just cover with a sheet to keep it clean.

I am sure I'm making this process WAY harder and creating more anxiety than truly necessary. [emoji849]

The first time I did mine I think I took about 10 years off my life worrying about if I missed something. Lol. I find it easier on me if I choose a day or two when I don't have to rush. Once the water is done the rest can be done in stages if need be. I really should build myself a checklist.