Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I should have mentioned that this was a two week boondocking trip. There are no hookups where we hunt just some BLM ground you can park on. We only used the furnace in the trailer, no electric heat. The furnace ran for about 7-10 minutes and then went off for 7-10 minutes when it was at the coldest. I don't know if a dehumidifier would work if you only have A.C. during the mornings and evenings.
The dehumidifier I carry is a 70 pint unit rather than one of those small counter-top ones. We've boondocked during the winter, and it was easily able to pull enough humidity out of the air during the generator periods to keep condensation to a minimum.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
The dehumidifier I carry is a 70 pint unit rather than one of those small counter-top ones. We've boondocked during the winter, and it was easily able to pull enough humidity out of the air during the generator periods to keep condensation to a minimum.
Good to know, thanks!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #17

A four season trailer is not about the insulation of the body and its ability to keep you warm but the trailers ability to still function, especially the water faucets during cold weather. I am surprised that the fresh water tank froze, the fuller a tank the more it takes to freeze the water. Smart idea on the bypass hose.

We cold weather camp and have sustained 12 degree weather in Prineville Oregon for two weeks without losing any of my RV systems. For cold weather camping I do leave all my cabinets open for better air flow especially around water lines. The outside shower is wrapped with reflectix and a towel since it is an easy entry for cold weather. We will run the generator to power space heaters but I do leave the furnace on and set so it warms the tank areas.

I will take my ORV trailer any day over my old wildwood with the old pink insulation and bubble wrap. Don't even get me started on the old terry trailer during elk elk camp years ago. It was warmer to stand outside. You could get frost bite by turning on the heater.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #18

I enjoy camping in the winter as much as I do in summer, the decrease in population is a big part of the reason. I've done a half a dozen trips in sub freezing temps without freeze up, but my duration was 3 to 4 days max. I set my thermostat at 60. Coldest I was in was teens to single digits overnight and highs in the 20's for 4 days. I wonder if a few more degrees on the thermostat would help keep your fresh water from freezing up.

Thinking out loud...

I wonder about setting up some sort of return that would allow you to transfer water from the hot water tank to the fresh water tank. A few gallons a day may do the trick.

I also wonder about setting up one of those instant hot water systems in an RV to alleviate line freeze up concerns. A buddy had one of these in his house to keep a cold corner from freezing up. Tankless Water Heater - Gothotwater.com, not the tankless part but the the water tank version. I'm not recommending this piece of equipment, just the concept. It would require a sensor or timer to occasionally kick on and circulate hot water through the hot side and push cold backwards on the cold side into the water heater which would provide a slight increase to the cold side with some movement, which is always good.

Would need to get a schematic of the plumbing to see if this is feasible or not. Both of these improvements would allow you to stay unfrozen with propane and only a little electricity.
RVTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
I didn't even think about this... thanks!
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather