RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Stand alone AC Circuit?

I need some expert advice on how to wire up a dedicated AC circuit to run off of my small portable generator. So I plan on installing a single outlet near the sink for a hair dryer which will run off of the generator via some connection in the front pass through on my 24RKS. I also want the ability to run a dedicated converter that I installed in the front pass through as well. So I need to be able to run these two items only off of the generator which will be forward of the trailer with an extension cord. How can I cleanly and correctly tie these two items into a plug/socket that the generator can plug into? Right now I have a standard AC plug for the converter and a wire run from the sink area to the front pass through. Thanks for any details you can give me. Brent

Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can do that with a short extension cord but why? You can disable the charger your converter has and mount one close to the batteries by running 110 wiring to the charger so no voltage drop and just plug the generator in to the shore power cord. No re-wiring needed. Or is there some other purpose you have not discussed?

keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

Doesn't want to pull any of the 30 amps available to run these items.........I've added 2 dedicated circuits for heaters, that I run off the pedestals 20 amp plug, or off one of my gennys....and the other will power the land line....
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Yep, Bob has it right. I wanted to keep my generator fwd of the travel trailer so having the hook ups there is what I was looking for. I really did not want to mess with the WFCO wiring at this time, which is why I wanted a simple circuit for generator hook ups in the pass through. I Boondock 95% of the time when I go camping, so I’m used to just running off of the batteries only. After my first post on the subject I went looking for AC sockets and adapters. I saw one on amazon that has a male end, but it is sunk into a socket for safety. I’ll use this and hook it into a 15amp AC outlet. Anyway I believe I got it sorted out, now I have to put it all together. Thanks for the input guys......Brent
Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cool, I figured there must have been another reason.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote