Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Stay safe BC neighbours.

I know there are several ORV owners from BC here and I'm hoping you and your loved ones are all staying safe. Yesterday I heard the city of Kimberley was put on an evacuation alert. Not good. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys and all the fire fighters as well.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This morning the smoke was bad, visibility was less than a thousand feet at times here in Jasper. You couldn’t even make out an outline of the mountains, it was still the same at We hiked the Maligne Canyon and I think I developed a smokers cough on the way back up. My lungs are sore at best. I can’t imagine being in the front lines of this. The news here have stated “welcome to the new norm”. All the fire fighting resources here in Jasper were sent to BC yesterday we were told by the park officials.

We leave for Banff in the morning, they have a fire going there we were told.
As disappointed as we are, we’re happy we’re not living the reality they are in BC. There are some chances for rain next week in Banff, but the rest of BC is arid.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks from very, very smokey Kamloops BC.
Our neighbours south of the 49th parallel in Washington State and State of California have a battle on there hands as well.
Keep safe.

Just heard the fire in Washington State near the Washington/ BC Canadian border crossed into BC between Trail BC and Grandforks B.C.

Travel safe everyone.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #4

Yes I was through the Banff area yesterday as we headed home. It's bad there too. We thought about staying in the Lake Louise campground for a couple nights as a base station for day trips into Jasper and the Ice Fields parkway but the smoke is getting to me as well.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Armagedon or Zombie apocolyse???

Yesterday was the worst so far, at 10 AM it was darker than 12 AM at our place. Today is much much better, there is so much ash on my trailer I may never get it clean. I spent today detailing the Mustang convertible and tomorrow is the Pickup and Trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_095810.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	215573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_100107.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	215574  

Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #6

I spent 3 weeks evacuated during the Okanagan Mountain Park fire , in Kelowna area, 2003, so I can relate , to those dealing with all the wildfire issues . Fire started 35 kilometers away from my home and was under 1 1/2 way when finally brought under control.
Weather Network forecast is for a province wide cool down starting next Tuesday , unfortunately only Prince Rupert and Terrace have rain in their forecast. We need days of gentle rain province wide , or we'll look like Riverside CA.
Fingers crossed.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Our best wishes are winging their way northward to our Canadian friends. As a Southern California native, I can relate to the stress you are under. Even while we are traveling through Wyoming, we are having serious smoke issues. Smoke is coming from various and many sources, not just Canada.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #8

Depressing even following the nightly news casts. We live in the Okanagan, a tourist destination. Should be 34C, but is 22C because of the heavy smoke. Going outside it feels so quiet and erie, nobody is being active for long periods of time which is different than most summers. I feel for the folks who have lost their homes, possible their livelihood as a logger or mill worker from loss of timber. Luckily, know one has lost their lives yet.

August 10th, we drove the Creekside up to Williams Lake(6hours, stayed the night), on our way to Nimpo Lake to fly into the Turner Lake Chain which is situated in southern Tweedsmuir PP for 10 days of canoeing and backpacking. When we arrived in Williams Lake, visibility was not too bad. Next morning,the smoke was bad. Call the float plane base and they said that no props would be turning as the wind had changed from the north west and smoke was a real problem. Cancelled our trip. Drove back to Coldstream and booked 5 days at Tunnel Mtn. campground(Banff), for 5 days starting on Aug. 15th. Also booked in Peter Lougheed PP for five days after that.

Wednesday on the morning we were to leave for Banff, talked to a friend in Canmore who said, the smoke was making it difficult to see the mountains. We are hikers/mountain bikers and if we can't see the mountains, whats the point?Cancelled our trip and all of the campsites and planning to go in early September.

Things will get back to normal eventually, but we need the late August rains to slow the fires or this smoke will last for quite awhile.

The photo is up on Mt. Wilcox above the Icefield Tourist centre before the smoke came in. July I think.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1359.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	215595  
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #9

Nice capture Dave. A stunning view indeed.

Last summer was a bad fire season for us. Several farms were lost due to grass/prairie fires and one rancher/volunteer firefighter lost his life. Fires can move incredibly fast when fanned by the wind.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There was a fire in the Elsinore area not far from Hemet. It's close to out now. Not smokey here in La Verne like it was a few weeks back. Not much left to burn down here.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #11
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
These numbers are for the US but Canada may be similar? The gist of the background information is that starting in the 1930s, fires were put out more and more quickly so the area burned annually shrunk. Beginning in the 1990s, the underbrush has built up enough where the numbers are creeping upward because there’s so much fuel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4E887D6A-1114-4E14-B948-5655A35C1212.png
Views:	81
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	215605  
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscheck View Post
Depressing even following the nightly news casts. We live in the Okanagan, a tourist destination. Should be 34C, but is 22C because of the heavy smoke. Going outside it feels so quiet and erie, nobody is being active for long periods of time which is different than most summers. I feel for the folks who have lost their homes, possible their livelihood as a logger or mill worker from loss of timber. Luckily, know one has lost their lives yet.

August 10th, we drove the Creekside up to Williams Lake(6hours, stayed the night), on our way to Nimpo Lake to fly into the Turner Lake Chain which is situated in southern Tweedsmuir PP for 10 days of canoeing and backpacking. When we arrived in Williams Lake, visibility was not too bad. Next morning,the smoke was bad. Call the float plane base and they said that no props would be turning as the wind had changed from the north west and smoke was a real problem. Cancelled our trip. Drove back to Coldstream and booked 5 days at Tunnel Mtn. campground(Banff), for 5 days starting on Aug. 15th. Also booked in Peter Lougheed PP for five days after that.

Wednesday on the morning we were to leave for Banff, talked to a friend in Canmore who said, the smoke was making it difficult to see the mountains. We are hikers/mountain bikers and if we can't see the mountains, whats the point?Cancelled our trip and all of the campsites and planning to go in early September.

Things will get back to normal eventually, but we need the late August rains to slow the fires or this smoke will last for quite awhile.

The photo is up on Mt. Wilcox above the Icefield Tourist centre before the smoke came in. July I think.

Dave
I’ll post a follow up as we’re going there today, the DW is thankful for your posting as she said “ Oh wow, that’s what I could see if this smoke wasn’t here?”
We bought a photo book on Jasper yesterday, as our photos show well, but have a real hazy look taken on two day when the wind was not from the west.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #13

So what is the short term forecast for the Banff area? We are scheduled to arrive a week from tomorrow. Should we cancel?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
So what is the short term forecast for the Banff area? We are scheduled to arrive a week from tomorrow. Should we cancel?
Touch and go at the moment , here on the coast we have outflow winds ( NNE winds bring smoke from the interior to the coast ) visibility not as bad as it was last Tuesday (1,000 yards) but getting there.
You could go to Drive BC and check out traffic cams in the area , I believe you can do the same from the Alberta DOT site .
I'll see what I can find for a site with Banff weather forecast.

DriveBC
Alberta road conditions, road reports and traffic cams | 511 Alberta

Current camera shots , in Banff show visibility about 1 to 1 1/2 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	banff_1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	215639