Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I'd be upset if I found paper towels in any of my tanks.

Time for a family pow-wow.

You don’t know what people do when in shop.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
thanks everyone. i filled gray and black tanks with fresh water and exercised the valves. the black tank valve worked fine and felt solid and shut off the flow so i feel pretty good it isnt that one. the gray tank valve felt less "solid" when i closed it but it did stop the flow. i then used a pressure washer to backflush the system. it all seems ok and maybe something was preventing it from closing. with that said the gray tank valve handle feels less solid so i'm still concerned. now the problem is taking off the sheet of insulation to take a look. it covers the whole underside and its riveted on so thats going to be a pain. great idea about the valve at the end of the drain, $22 at amazon so that will be piece of mind until i get a better plan. thanks again everyone, i appreciate the guidance
If you know the approximate location of the valves, just cut the coroplast sheet on three sides, with the hinge facing forward to access them. Then seal it back up with Gorilla tape. I've done this on both my trailers.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had my black tank valve leak twice while we were on our Alaska trip. Purchased this and the Valterra valve while in Whitehorse and now I flush the valves at the dump stations where and when I can. The twist on Valterra valve gives me a back up if there is another problem but haven’t since I started flushing the valves regularly. I think small pieces of toilet paper and waste get caught in the slide and the gate can’t close properly. I use drain valve lube every so often to keep the valves operating freely and no more problems. Touch wood.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	215752
Forgot to attach the picture.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only time my valves are open is when I am dumping. I do not leave them open when hooked up. Every time I dump, I flush. I have had no issues.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #20

Great advice! For those that don't know, or haven't read the owner's manual, you should never leave black water valve open while hooked up to your RV site dump. That encourages toilet paper to build up in the system. You need to let the black water tank fill-up and have the appropriate treatment in it to dissolve the poop and toilet paper so that they flush when you empty the tank. Otherwise you risk toilet paper and poop mounding up in the bottom of the tank and causing problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The only time my valves are open is when I am dumping. I do not leave them open when hooked up. Every time I dump, I flush. I have had no issues.
mjoconnell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to the valves not feeling "solid", try this trick before you cut into the coroplast looking for the valves. When closing them, push the handle shut, then with just the palm of your hand, hold pressure on the handle, about 5 pounds worth. Mine seem to be closed, but doing this always get the handle to move about 1/4 inch more as the knife seats itself in the valve. No leaks downstream this way.

As for the external valve, it is a must have! If anything bad is going to happen, it is always the slinky's fault! Having that valve at the weakest link is a very good thing!
Cornbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #22

A valve (glued one on) at the end will allow grey water to transfer into the black tank but don't put black into grey unless the grey tank is plumbed with 3" ABS.

Adding a clear Valterra T1020-1CLR cap to the valve will show if there is a leak/open valve.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
this cant be rocket science but... whenever i pull the cap off the gray/black drain pipe to hook up the stinky slinky, waste comes pouring out. the blade valves are closed so i assume something busted. or am i missing something?
man its gross.
Hey jeffz,

Just saw your post so i hope you have it fixed. I had an issue similar to yours. Mine was the gray water barely draining and when I pulled the plastic cap lots of gray water coming out so the valve wasn't sealing. I got a plastic cap with the 3/4 male hose thread and got a 3/4 female hose x female hose adapter. Attached my garden hose and back flushed leaving the black water valve closed. Problem fixed, gray water now pours out when valve is open and totally sealed when closed. I think the plug or something was obstructing the valve.
Northcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Double check Black Valve is truly closed

Experienced same thing once....fix was easy ....just ensure black valve ROD is seated correctly...found that pushing black rod "straight in" needed a bit of help to get past a slight hang-up... moved rod sideways about 1/8" to get past hangup and continued pushing in black rod fully in (about 2-3 in) until seated. Problem solved.
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank