Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Calgon water softener is not sold by Walmart in Canada or Amazon in Canada. In Canada, not available.

Jim
I always get a bottle when we shoot across the line.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the Dawn you need to add an entire cup and a capful or two of Calgon. Fill the tank approx 1/3 and drive. It is a catch 22 sometimes because it seems that too much dawn removes all lubrication from the dump valve gaskets, so those need to be regularly treated.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Considering that Calgon water softener is not available in Canada, I have been using Dawn dish soap with some success. It seems to help the mess 'slip' out of the tanks a bit easier.

I use 'Happy Camper'. I think it is the absolute best!

All good thoughts. Good ideas. Doesn't address what I can do to have accurate reporting gauges.

My kitchen sink has it's own separate gray tank. It reports 3/4 full when it is empty. It reports full when it has about 1/2 gallon in it. I ignore it. I figure if it gets overfull, the water will back up in the kitchen sink. It's only dirty water after all!

My black tank will report empty after I have dumped and back flushed it. The next morning it will report that it is 3/4 full! Two days later it will report that it is 1/2 full! The next day it will tell me that it is FULL!

My gray tank (shower and bathroom vanity water) will report empty after I have dumped it. A day later it will report that it is 3/4 full! After a lot of planning where to go to dump it, it will report that it is 1/4 full, almost empty!

This kind of tank reporting while traveling is totally frustrating!! It seems that the traveling shakes things up and the tanks gauges will tell you all kinds of things, none of which make any sense. Totally and frustratingly confusing!

I get so frustrated with that kind of reporting. Surely there has to be something that is accurate!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree it's frustating.

Given up looking at the little lights and trust my eyes and ears now. The black tank is the only real risk here, but it warns you before it fills all the way up.

Never understood either why someone thought that sharp probes sticking into the tank would be a good gage. Like a paper magnet!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To measure the black tank I just use the broom handle. It's very accurate. No electronics to go bad.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Garnet Seelevel rv tank monitor may be an option for better resolution. They are attached to the outside of the tank, so they won't foul like the through tank sensors and can use the existing wiring. They are made in Sherwood park AB, here is the link:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
To measure the black tank I just use the broom handle. It's very accurate. No electronics to go bad.

ewww. I've never gone that far, but I have turned off the water pump and peered down into the tank with a flashlight.

The lights for our black tank have never been useful.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you hear gurgling and burping, time to empty!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our tank sensors have been not too bad. We had some issues with the grey tank if we spent any amount of time on full hookups. My theory was the dish soap or food residue was drying on the sensors. I purchased an elbow with a flush attachment that I put on the dump outlet and flush water up into the tank after draining. In addition I will close the grey valve when on full hookups to fill the tank to about 3/4 and then drain it. The 1/3 sensor on the grey tank was the most troublesome and now we don’t have the issue anymore. I usually closed the grey valve at night and then opened it after we showered in the morning. It seems to help keep the sensors clean.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just when I was going to ask Highway if I could borrow his broom----Guess I go buy one.
Our tank light are also unreliable. In fact, every trailer we've owned had the same light system, and none worked.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was told on our walk through that the water proof breaker for the tank light is in the tank itself, just to the left of the drop hole. I haven't had any issues with our light, so haven't had to go digging for the breaker. Keep us posted how you make out when you finally get time to look for the breaker.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had installed the Garnet 'Sea Level' gauge system on a previous motor coach. I can testify that it reported absolutely flawlessly 100% of the time. It was an absolute bear to install on that coach.

I wonder, has anyone installed such a system on their ORV trailer?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges, tank