Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Those Dang Slide-out

When I set out to look for a TT last year, one of the prerequisites was no slides so that I wouldn't have to deal with water leak, extra weight and potential mechanical problems. But one can't be too choosy when you are buying used. So I ended up with this TR with a single slide.

The inevitable has happened on the 1st leg of my 1k mile trip this Labor Day long weekend. The slide failed at its open position while I was breaking camp after a stop over in WA.

After checking all the fuses, I had to crawl underneath and opened a little hatch to see what's going on at the motor. It wasn't designed to be easily accessible in the 1st place. It was tucked in the close vicinity of the suspension and had a rigid gas pipe running on top of it. It was a struggle to get to those bolts, to say the least, with the minimal number of tools I carried travelling. And sure enough, a grade 8 coupling bolt was sheared off in 2 places at the drive shaft. Since it was on a Sunday of a long weekend, chances for finding a hardware store that opens or call a mobile RV Tech who answers calls are pretty slim.

Luckily the young fellow parked next to me offered to help. It took 2 of us to push the Slide-out back to its 95% close position so that I can move on to find a RV shop when I get to CA after the long weekend. To ensure it stay that way for the remaining of the trip, I strapped it to the suspension mounting bracket and checking it at every stop to next 3 days.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is that the single ram model of slide?

If so it's prolly like mine (AL-KO model GSO-48829-1), and I'm surprised that your sheared bolt is a grade 8.

Some idiot at the factory put a SS bolt in mine which broke within a year. I managed to find a Grade 3 in my tool box and got it working for a while. When that sheared all I could find was a Grade 5 bolt at the local hardware store. When that sheared it took out the whole shaft assembly. By then I was out of warranty so ordered the parts from AL-KO (now owned by Dexter):

1246585 (shaft) $27.02
1245423 (bolt) $1.10
1245234 (nylon lock nut) $0.10
1245474 (clevis pin) $2.19
And had a mobile RV tech put it in for me. Which took a lot of work and swearing as the parts were pretty well rusted together. Anyway, since then, several years ago, it's been working fine with the new (Grade 8) bolt.

My email contact at Al-Ko/Dexter back then was christinahaley@al-kousa.com

Good Luck!
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

For whatever reason, likely cost, RV manufacturers don't want to allow easy access to items that will someday need to be replaced or maintained. Perhaps they feel if potential customers were told a bit of 'maintenance' is required to keep them operating smoothly they'd scare too many buyer away. Seems out of sight out of mind rules their design.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Is that the single ram model of slide?

If so it's prolly like mine (AL-KO model GSO-48829-1), and I'm surprised that your sheared bolt is a grade 8.

Some idiot at the factory put a SS bolt in mine which broke within a year. I managed to find a Grade 3 in my tool box and got it working for a while. When that sheared all I could find was a Grade 5 bolt at the local hardware store. When that sheared it took out the whole shaft assembly. By then I was out of warranty so ordered the parts from AL-KO (now owned by Dexter):

1246585 (shaft) $27.02
1245423 (bolt) $1.10
1245234 (nylon lock nut) $0.10
1245474 (clevis pin) $2.19
And had a mobile RV tech put it in for me. Which took a lot of work and swearing as the parts were pretty well rusted together. Anyway, since then, several years ago, it's been working fine with the new (Grade 8) bolt.

My email contact at Al-Ko/Dexter back then was christinahaley@al-kousa.com

Good Luck!
Its manual says RBW Industries but the model no. Is the same as yours. Going by my memory, its mechanism looks similar to your picture so it could be the same make.

The sheared bolt is definitely grade 8. I can tell from its marking.

I managed to line up a shop near the RV park I booked to put a new bolt in for me on my way there. It only costed me 1 hour of labour charge. Owner didn't charge me the $1 bolt and even threw in a couple for my spares. Funny the slide now seems operate quieter than before.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ah yes, mine came with an RBW manual as well. Apparently they were bought out by Al-Ko who are now owned by Dexter. Or something like that.

Glad it worked out well for you.

When I ordered the parts I got a spare Grade 8 bolt. Sounds like it was a good idea!
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide