Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Timber Ridge 240RKS Pro's and Con's

Pro's..

Being single, I don't need a thirty five footer.

80" inch bed for people like me who are 6' ft a must have!

Bedroom has a huge solid wall to mount a 32"+ TV and is not on ceiling

Has an area in bed room to get dressed.

Has a bedroom curtain for a more open feel to the camper

Has a Huge wall closet located close to rear wheels.

Has a big 20 Ft awning you can put 2 chairs under or a whole table

Has 2 outlets on kitchen wall, in the right area's on kitchen counter top

Fold a bed for extra person.

Solar ready on top and ground deployed

One slide out=less headaches=less heat loss

28 Ft and 6500 lbs easier on gas and towing ability and more places you can get into.

Well insulated 2" walls

Thermal pane windows

Has a rear ladder

80 Gal fresh water tank/biggest I've seen

Everything seems to be a nice and tight fit

Con's

Don't know if it's gonna be big enough for full timer?

Blackstone 240rksb has same set up/w extra side .. worth the money?
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
Con's

Don't know if it's gonna be big enough for full timer?
Think the longest the two of us have spent in ours is 2 months. But our yearly total is about 4 months. A lot depends upon the weather and how much time you spend inside. "Cabin fever" is real; but it helps if you can get out and into town, say, or doing something/anything outside. And of course with a trailer, you can always move if you get bored with an area.

If I were full-timing, think it would be nice to have a "home base" somewhere to come back to every once in a while. Just a rural lot with my workshop!
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

On 240 rks it says 5200 x2 axle and only a 8500 gvwr, why can't I fill it up with more?

I'm guessing it has the same frame as the 270rks rated at 11,000
Old 07-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My wife and I have the 23RKS Creek Side and it is the best TT we have owned. Our son who has Down's syndrome travels with us also and it has all the room we need. We don't live in full time but extended stays of a week or two at a time are no problem. I think you will find that the frame and chassis are over built for the listed capacities unlike other manufacturers and that is a definite plus. I don't think you can go wrong with an ORV product. The other issue I like with this company is they work with their customers when there is a problem.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Thanks Wes, Yea that's what I thought, they do it for legal reasons. I'll just customize the TT to my likes. I live and work outdoors so... 80" bed/nice/ nice kitchen area and living room area/soon to be mod to my needs. why would I need or want a bigger TT?

Less is more!

240rks light weight= better gas mileage and easier to tow
You can get into more camp grounds
Less to maintain
For a single Full timer seems to be the right fit

Heck, I'll put my order in and go watch it being buit...even help!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Is there under bed storage on the 240rks?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm pretty sure there is storage under the bed, there is on our Creek Side. What we liked about the Creek Side over the Timber Ridge was (1)the pantry was back with kitchen and not at the other end of the living area and(2) was the wardrobes didn't go all the way down to the bed where you don't have the night stand next to your head when laying down. It's mostly just a preference thing with me. I felt like I was in a cave with the wardrobes that went all the way down. We have a 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel as our TV and going and coming from the ORV rally the truck got 13.8 to 14.1 mpg. I think that's pretty good since none of my gas trucks in the past would get that empty.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
Is there under bed storage on the 240rks?
There is on ours. They've changed the layout a bit for 2016. We don't have the full length bed for example.

As for the bedside cupboards, we really wanted the extra length for extra storage and don't mind the cave-ness at all. Everybody's different I guess.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Post trade-off's

having come from a 2014 23rks, the full length bedroom wardrobes of the tr 240rks DO take some getting used to. but like everything else, its a trade-off, for more storage space.
the under bed storage IS smaller on the new 240rks vs the 23rks. but its the full sized queen, as mentioned.
i spent ALOT of time in our 23rks! pretty much 90% of the 22 months we owned it, it was in use. we traded for the new 240 rks in March, so far using it just about as much. it seems much more "liveable" in the same sized package.

just my observations.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #10

I've viewed many a pics on line for the 240rks and never having set foot in one, it looks well laid out and has ample storage space. I like the new lay out with the bathroom enclosed and wall closets just in front of the wheel wells. It seems to be more an open feel to the TT with no bedroom door.

I think with the truck I have, this would be the perfect fit, if I went to the 270rks I'd be pushing my truck to the max.

I want to go tour the country for a couple of years. Stay in a spot a couple days/weeks and then find a new location. Not really run and gun. I'd like to get the local flavor and a feel of the area I'm staying at. Then move on, till I've found the area I really like and then buy some property.

I think this would be a nice starter kit for my truck, 1/2/3 years down the road I'd upgrade truck and trailer.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

we started out to buy a Blackstone 240rksb but the dealer had a new 2015 blackstone 280rksb at an incredible discount. The dry weight difference is listed as 400lbs- we have never come close to our max. cargo allowance so this just wasn't an issue. Also, prefer the single central door to two doors and my wife and I cook together so the peninsula counter is a bonus (my wife says it's mandatory).
We are retired and average 70 nights/yr rv'ing, mostly in full service rv campgrounds. Switched to TT from a 5th wheel so we can roof carry the 17' cedar strip kayaks I build.

Steve and Marilyn
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Grey rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I'm comparing it to our Creek Side 23RKS.

The Timber Ridge 240RKS is heavier. In fact, I can see by the specs that it's not 1/2 ton towable. You need a heavy duty 3/4 ton to tow it. It should not be listed by Outdoors RV as 1/2 ton towable.

The kitchen counter is better in our Creek Side 23RKS. We have more usable counter space.

The bathroom is better in our Creek Side 23RKS. And that's saying something, because our bathroom SUCKS! The only saving grace is we can make more room by leaving the door open when sitting on the throne! On the Timber Ridge 240 RKS, you're facing a wall when sitting on the throne, so you wouldn't have the luxury we have of opening the door to gain more space!

The shower doors on the Timber Ridge 240 RKS might be a good idea, because the shower on our Creek Side 23 RKS SUCKS! The tub is too narrow, and the shower curtain wants to have a really close hugging clinging relationship with me when all I'm trying to do is have a shower. By the time I'm done having a shower, the entire bathroom is drenched with water. I'm thinking of showering without a shower curtain.

The Timber Ridge 240 RKS uses the same medicine cabinet above the vanity sink as the Creek Side 23 RKS. It is too small, the shelves are too thin to accomodate even the standard medicinal vanity supplies. My wife is 5' 2" tall, and she couldn't see herself in the medicine cabinet mirror, because it is mounted on the wall WAY too high on the wall. By the pictures, I see the medicine cabinet in the Timber Ridge 240 RKS is mounted the same way. We replaced that medicine cabinet with a larger cabinet and mounted it at a proper height so that we can use the mirror.

The biggest area on the inside of these trailers that needs improvement is the bathroom.

The wardrobe closets on each side of the bed on the Timber Ridge 240RKS might be a good idea, because on our Creek Side 23 RKS we do not have a wardrobe closet that is tall enough to be able to hang our clothes. We are planning to convert our bedside closets to be the same as the ones in the Timber Ridge 240 RKS.

The Timber Ridge 240 RKS has more drawers and usable storage space than our Creek Side 23 RKS. We have a lot of fake panels where drawers should be. We have empty cabinets where shelves should be. We're working on that right now. By the time we're done, our Creek Side 23 RKS may have as much storage as the Timber Ridge 240 RKS. Although, in doing that, possibly our Creek Side 23RKS will weight as much as the Timber Ridge 240 RKS.

So, having said all this, I'd like to know the price difference between the Timber Ridge 240 RKS and the Creekside 23 RKS.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #13

Papa Jim, have you thought about a radius shower rod for the tub? We put one in on our previous TT and it really helped.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Papa Jim, have you thought about a radius shower rod for the tub? We put one in on our previous TT and it really helped.
Yes. It's something we're working on right now. None of the local box stores could supply one short enough to fit our bathroom, so we bought the closest fit and we're working at shortening it so it will fit.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote