RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #1

Timber Ridge, yay or nay?

We own a Northwood Desert Fox toy hauler now but my hubby retired and we sold the Harley because health issues made it unsafe to ride. (such is life) We are looking to trade for a TT. We like the Northwood options even though they are pretty pricey. We are also liking the looks of the Outdoors Timber ridge 24RLS. Anyone have one of these and can give us pros and cons? Thanks

Puyallup Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
GBB

We bought ours last spring in Oregon and hit the road in October...currently in south Texas. Havent had any problems and pulls like a dream. We bought it for the rear recliners and big rear window.

GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is some anecdotal "information" out there that the 2017 model year of Outdoors RV trailers have had a significantly lower number of quality control issues. I can tell you we've had about $5-8 thousand dollars in warranty work done to our 2018 Blackrock 20RD since July of this year.

Maybe check dealers in your area to see if there are 2017 models still available. When we bought, there were several in the Okanagan (about a 4 hour drive from me) and some in the neighbouring province of Alberta.
RoadDogYVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We purchased a 2019 24rls about 5 weeks ago and have been living in it since! We have had no major issues yet and have stayed in weather down to about 10 degrees with it.
We really liked the idea of the rear recliners, but just can't get used to the room they take up in front of the door, but they are comfortable enough for now. We really like the set up.

This is our first TT and have really enjoyed it so far.
kingdomseedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puyallup Gal View Post
We own a Northwood Desert Fox toy hauler now but my hubby retired and we sold the Harley because health issues made it unsafe to ride. (such is life) We are looking to trade for a TT. We like the Northwood options even though they are pretty pricey. We are also liking the looks of the Outdoors Timber ridge 24RLS. Anyone have one of these and can give us pros and cons? Thanks

A Trailer is a Trailer is a Trailer...no matter what you purchase.. unfortunately there are going to be issues regardless of the brand or manufacturer you buy from. Some have more issues than others. As someone said to me when I bought our Windriver..itís like buying the best house in a crappy neighbourhood.

My experience with ORV Manufacturing has been first rate...great people, good service and they build a pretty good product.
They are a small manufacturer, locally owned and operated and located in the west...and that was a very important factor in my buying decision.

Do your due deligence...ask lots of questions...take the ORV tour at the plant...if you can...and talk to people just like your doing.

Youíll make the right decision for you.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I moved from Arctic Fox to ORV in 2017. I liked my Fox but when it came to my next TT ORV had more of what we wanted. My Fox was trouble free for 12 yrs and so far my ORV has been too. We started looking for a new rig in 2015 and toured both plants that summer while attending the NROA rally in LaGrande. While I consider them cousins there were differences at that time - and it seemed that ORV was turning out a slightly better product. We started looking at the Creekside models with no slides but quickly realized that for our next phase of life plans it would not be big enough. DW saw the TimberRidge 25RDS and fell in love - the RLS would have been our second choice. We love the large rear window and find ourselves looking for sites that have great rear views.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDogYVR View Post
There is some anecdotal "information" out there that the 2017 model year of Outdoors RV trailers have had a significantly lower number of quality control issues. I can tell you we've had about $5-8 thousand dollars in warranty work done to our 2018 Blackrock 20RD since July of this year.

Maybe check dealers in your area to see if there are 2017 models still available. When we bought, there were several in the Okanagan (about a 4 hour drive from me) and some in the neighbouring province of Alberta.
I have noticed the same trend, and for an additional data point: we have a 2017 and have had no warranty issues. The most significant fix I have done is to repair one of the hangers.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puyallup Gal View Post
We had 2 Northwood Desert Foxes - loved them both! Now we have an Outdoors RV 24RLS - love it!

Many trade-offs across the models. The 24RLS is smaller than we wanted originally, but we like that it can get into more places. The recliner chair layout is good, but sometimes slightly cramped and they need to be moved out of the way to get the slide in.

The only things that would improve it for us, would be if it were bigger on the inside and the same size on the outside!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #9

Thank you all for your input. I am really happy that I joined this forum! I'm happy for all of you that are enjoying your Outdoors models and some what freaked out by the folks that have had to have lots of warranty work done. I don't think finding a 2017 model is an option for us. I haven't found any in our area.

We spent a few hours at the RV dealer yesterday going through the different Outdoor and Northwood models. We came away loving the Outdoors Timber Ridge 25RDS, Titanium. It's bigger than we had planned but only by a couple of feet when compared to the 24RLS. Boy are they pricey! This will be our last trailer so we are laboring over a decision. Thanks again for all of your thoughtful responses. Further input is always welcome. I'll let you know what we end up doing.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please don't get me wrong - I LOVE "Rolly House", our ORV 20RD - but I was ill-prepared for just how lousy the first 3 months of ownership were. I have since rationalized our experience as such:
- I felt like I was buying a motor vehicle sans motor since it has wheels and expected a New Car Experience from a well respected mass market auto manufacturer (knowing full well ORV is a somewhat boutique builder). I should have regarded it much more like purchasing a new house and realizing that warranty work to sort out the bugs of a built-one-at-a-time product. I still think ORV is the best (for me) value in the market but wish Quality Control and Dealer Experience were higher than they have been.

There are a TON of RVs in the market but for those of us looking for something a little different, the choices narrow significantly.

I'd buy ORV again - I'd just use a lot more scrutiny of the unit in question prior to signing on the dotted line.
RoadDogYVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
^ That's an interesting way to put it and a good analogy.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As far as the ORV brand goes the structure is better than my previous Thor built Komfort. Our Creekside was built 8 years ago and despite mine being wood frame construction I haven't had anything come apart or shake loose. Everything is still tight and just the way it came from the factory. No gaps, misaligned cabinets, or ill fitting doors. The installed appliances and mechanicals are built by other companies so the quality of those items will be found in any brand of trailer manufacturer. I've only contacted the factory once through their web site and they were prompt in following up by phone. In short it has held up to the test of time well.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

We have a 2018 Timber Ridge 25RDS that we purchased last summer and LOVE IT!!! and so do our friends n family that have camped with us..Sipping coffee in the morning while looking out the big rear window and eating breakfast is awesome. I also like that you can still walk in the main door and through the trailer with the slide in, and having the bedroom door is convenient for loading and unloading. The couch folds out into a decent bed for those camp visiting friends, and you can still walk by it to get in and out the door. We have had 6 adults inside hanging out on a rainy day and it was not cramped at all, 4 at the rear dinette and 2 on couch. We have only had the trailer since May and have used it 6 or 7 times and so far no issues or concerns (knock knock) but have no buyers remorse due to the floor plan/trailer brand decision that we made.
MtnHigh25rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

Thank you. I was wondering about access when the slide is in. We are going to go back and look at the 25RDS in the next couple of days and look at it more closely and also see what they will give us for our trade in.