Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Time to start thinking about winterization!

There was snow on the hills by the house this morning (Alaska) and I figure I have another month or less until I have to winterize the trailer. Last year I took it to a dealer but this year I'd like to do it myself. I'm away from the trailer for the moment, but I was wondering if anyone knew off hand where the pickup tube was for the antifreeze. We have a creek side 23 BHS.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just hook it up and drag it to So Cal, 103 deg in my back yard today. I could cook a turkey in the Trailer. Looking forward to the bitter cold of the low 50's soon.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Heh, seriously. I'm getting ours ready for the annual trip to Florida.

On ours the anti-freeze is sucked in from a tube and 3 way valve that's located right next to the pump. Requires lifting a panel to get to it. And the hot water tank bypass valve is close by as well. And the two under chassis drains are around the middle of the trailer.

But each model is different, so ...

By the way, read something about anti-freeze earlier, so now I'm using the more expensive, non-alcohol based RV anti-freeze. It's the stuff that does not have the flammable symbol but is still non-toxic. Apparently the alcohol isn't that good for seals and valves in the plumbing.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Tie a snow blower to the front bumper of the truck.

Head south until the people start asking:"What's that on your bumper?"

At that point you are far enough south.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJerker View Post
There was snow on the hills by the house this morning (Alaska) and I figure I have another month or less until I have to winterize the trailer. Last year I took it to a dealer but this year I'd like to do it myself. I'm away from the trailer for the moment, but I was wondering if anyone knew off hand where the pickup tube was for the antifreeze. We have a creek side 23 BHS.

GearJerker I to live in Alaska and also have a Creekside 23BHS. Have you thought about just blowing out the lines with compressed air? I have done this with 3 different trailers over the years and never have had a problem. I know there are people on the site who say you shouldn't do it in such a cold environment but of the all the people I know who do it have never had a problem. Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska04 View Post
GearJerker I to live in Alaska and also have a Creekside 23BHS. Have you thought about just blowing out the lines with compressed air? I have done this with 3 different trailers over the years and never have had a problem. I know there are people on the site who say you shouldn't do it in such a cold environment but of the all the people I know who do it have never had a problem. Just a thought.
No quite. Most of us will tell you that if you blow long enough and hard enough it probably will work. OTOH antifreeze will work as long as one gets it in place properly. It even helps to blow out the lines first but that does not take much blowing. ;-)

FWIW if you have not used it before antifreeze will freeze down around zero deg. The difference is that it shrinks as it freezes while water expands as it freezes. Expansion is usually what breaks things. Turn each valve on long enough to let some anti freeze pass through to make sure the valve body is loaded with antifreeze, not water. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #7

I do have the advantage that the TT is parked in my driveway and get do several cycles of blowing the lines out over several days. I'm very touchy about the water and its taste and just don't like the after taste of having antifreeze in the lines.

Hopefully we can get 2 more trips in this year before the sadness of taking it to the RV storage lot.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
True about taste.
We're pretty fussy as well, especially the wife with her tea, so I pump gallons of fresh water into all the waste tanks to get rid of it. It can be done, but does take a lot of water.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in S.E. Ga.. it should get down to freezing once or twice this winter but you won't need to worry about it.

If you choose to winterize farther north and put it into winter storage.> Consider the DRY method of winterizing.. Open all valves INCLUDING LOW POINT.. And blow Gabriel blow the lines out compressed air regulated to 50 PSI.. then cycle the ice maker so it sucks the water out of the lines and blow again, then wait 5-10 minutes and blow again and again (Like 10 times) Then close all valves (Optional leave low point open).

Oh drain and bypass water heater first

Pour pink stuff in drains and toilets to winterize them

And come spring.. All that nasty pink stuff you need to flush out of the system... Well the only pink is in places were "Flushing" is kind of ... Easy.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Tie a snow blower to the front bumper of the truck.

Head south until the people start asking:"What's that on your bumper?"

At that point you are far enough south.
That's golden! And so true. You could also just loop your block heater heater extension cord around your mirror and do the same thing.
jayman_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter