Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #43

The Curt heavy duty replacement receiver bolts directly onto the main frame rails using the same bolt pattern as the stock receiver but the steel is significantly thicker. This provides the strength to support the heavier tongue weight without risk of bending the receiver. The main frame rails can easily support this load as can the rear axle as noted earlier. This ain't gonna break folks!

The yellow payload sticker on the inside door panel lists the actual payload of this specific truck as weighed at the factory with the Lariat trim options, 4x4 transfer cases, bed liner, etc. The payload is 2850 lbs which is more than sufficient for the tongue load plus cargo (2 people, 1 standard dog and 2 bicycles).
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconkling View Post
I agree they are engineered to barely meet the weights specified. But that’s exactly the problem. Just because the receiver is upgraded to carry mode weight, none of the rest of the truck was upgraded. The rest of the components, bolts, nuts, hangars, bushings, brakes, shocks, mounts, etc were all engineered to barely meet the requirements of he old receiver.
I respectfully disagree. The brakes, bushings, shocks, mounts, etc are engineered to meet the GVWR, GCWR, FAWR and RAWR. Whether the payload is a fifth wheel, a pallet of bricks or a travel trailer, the truck can safely handle this load. Only the receiver needs to be upgraded.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
I think they buy the cheapest hitch available to be 10% of the published conventional tow rating because that's all that's required. Not that it covers all possible load combinations that don't violate the 3 controlling numbers.

If you're under tow rating, GVWR, and RAWR and are maintaining adequate weight on your front end what's the problem?

Ever see a guy with a 2000 pound bale of hay hanging off the back of his truck on a spike? If he is within all other design parameters, why is that ok but magically putting that weight on a ball is somehow different?
The problem is you are exceeding a limitation, voiding your warranty, breaking the law, and opening your self up to liability if an accident were to occur. Which your insurance will likely not cover.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1703-tow-ratings-and-the-law-discussing-limits-of-trailer-size/

It’s not ok to hang a 2000# bail of hay of the receiver of a truck.

Clearly there are a lot of people operating their vehicles outside the designed limitations.
rconkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #46

Quote:
The problem is you are exceeding a limitation, voiding your warranty, breaking the law, and opening your self up to liability if an accident were to occur. Which your insurance will likely not cover.

Tow Ratings and the Law: Discussing the Limits of Trailer Size

Clearly there are a lot of people operating their vehicles outside the designed limitations.
I am using a weight distributing hitch as required.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #47

Quote:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/exp...-trailer-size/

I didn't say off the receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	184649

(Not mine but I've used similar systems in the past)

I ran through the torklift magnum (30k/3k lb tongue bolt on hitch) manual yesterday and it stated (paraphrasing) 'your capacity is the capacity of your weakest link and do not exceed GVWR or GCWR.' Why on earth would insurance and lawyers let them say such a thing if the stock hitch capacity was the limiting factor?

Get the proper hitch, don't exceed RAWR, GVWR, or the conventional tow rating of your truck. It'll be good [emoji41]
Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pattee View Post
I am using a weight distributing hitch as required.
And keeping the tongue load below 1250#s as required?

Don’t trust me. My info is worth exactly what you paid for it. Read the article, read the towing limitations in the manual, call ford directly and ask.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pattee View Post
Whether the payload is a fifth wheel, a pallet of bricks or a travel trailer, the truck can safely handle this load. Only the receiver needs to be upgraded.
I agree. As long as it doesn’t also exceed the tongue load.

Do you have any documentation to back up your claim that upgrading a receiver also upgrades the trucks max tongue load?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #50

Do you have any info from Ford to suggest otherwise? That weight rating is attached to the hitch, not the truck.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #51

I just went through the 2017 Ford owners manual because I'm bored between stages out here at work. It's mute on tongue weights and, as a matter of fact, makes no distinction between conventional and FW towing as far as abiding by GCWR. It makes a point, however, of addressing GVWR and GAWR in the loading section specifically mentioning that tongue weight or kingpin weight is included in payload.

Absent some guidance from Ford, I'll stand by that the tongue weight is on the hitch, not the truck. [emoji41]
Old 12-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #52

The max tongue weight is directly related to the receiver rating. Swap out the receiver and you have your butt covered for higher tongue weights.
It's ludicrous to think that Ford, GM, Ram would limit the tongue weight when at the same time tell you that your TW should be between 10%-15%.
In the perfect world a 10% TW works great for boats. Not so for TT's.
If everyone adhered to the max receiver rating as max tongue weight then it would be impossible to tow many TT's with higher than 10% tongue weights unless you bought a newer truck like a DRW or 3500 that MAY come with a higher rated receiver.
Last I saw no one buys a truck based on receiver ratings.
TW is the same as any other payload thats added to the truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #53

Tongue weight 280RKS (GVWR of 9600#)

Tongue weight max is a receiver rating. Only simpletons cannot understand this.

An upgraded hitch and a shank that can support it all is fine and dandy.

As long as GVWR, GAWRs and GCWR is not exceeded, there is no issue (and even then, it depends — see next comment. 🤣

Not even gonna get into the F250 vs F350 SRW differences (or lack thereof)...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #54

Why is it ludicrous? The percentage is just a generalized rule of thumb. Use the rule of thumb as it pertains to a specific truck and trailer combo. The truck, the hitch attached to it, and the trailer are all built to a certain specification. Its up to the owner to make sure the trailer you are attaching to the truck has the appropriate hitch AND the appropriate truck to pull it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Tongue weight max is a receiver rating. Only simpletons cannot understand this.

An upgraded hitch and a shank that can support it all is fine and dandy.

As long as GVWR, GAWRs and GCWR is not exceeded, there is no issue (and even then, it depends — see next comment. 🤣

Not even gonna get into the F250 vs F350 SRW differences (or lack thereof)...

The truck camper guys seldom post weight tickets for a reason [emoji57]
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
The truck camper guys seldom post weight tickets for a reason [emoji57]

He, Hey, Hey....Whats with the truck camper guys quip?

Tags
tongue weight, weight