Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #29

on paper, sure it can pull. but real life requires control in all conditions. an F150 will not give you control over a +6k# trailer. a 3/4T will give you better control and stopping power.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
Wife and I decided to move down from a 40'DP to TT. We were looking very seriously at Airstreams and bought a tow vehicle accordingly. Its a 2016 F150 V8, Payload package and tow package.We then saw some of the ORV units and said Whoa!!!!

After looking through this forum, I note there are considerably less complaints about the ORV products than any other forum I've looked at. A most positive thing.

Now looking at a TR 25RDS Titanium. It really pushes the limits on the 150. My calculations give us a bout 95% allowable on the Trailer, 93% on the truck and the GCVW is near the trucks rating.

Are we asking for trouble?
In a nutshell - yes you are looking at trouble. I am looking at the same TT only in the Mountain Package - and it is 7000 lbs before I add any gear, the Titanium Package also adds a few hundred lbs . I currently tow with a 2500 gasser and moving to a new 2500 Diesel next month (new one on order being built this week). I have towed with combinations that are in the 90% + of the CGVW and it is no fun. Technically I was within limits, but I did not feel in control of the TT. Hills were no fun screaming up them in 2od gear doing 35 MPH - and don't get me started on downhills - or winding roads. The combo was a white knuckle ride. For two seasons, I did not stray more than 100 mi from home. The 2500 made a world of difference - longer wheelbase, bigger engine, heavier frame. bigger payload. With this combination I felt in control and began to enjoy towing the TT. So much that we have taken trips all over the state and even ventured to Montana.

I suggest that you either look at a lighter TT or be prepared to get a heavier duty truck. Your F150 might be able t o handle the load on paper - but wait until reality bites you hard on the arse and you will be wishing for a better combination.

Most people have "rules of thumb" for sizing TTs and Trucks something like no more than 80% of the CGWR or 75% of the tow rating. We both know that we are dealing with liars and damn liars - both the truck industry and the trailer industry lie about things - not intentionally but in an effort to look better to the uninformed buying public. Trucks tow ratings were traditionally done at or near sea level on flat ground and with a stripped down truck - and probably on a day with a tail wind . Thankfully the SAE has stepped in and developed some more real world tests for determining the tow rating for your vehicle - not all mfgs however use it - those that did have seen losses of several hundred lbs of tow capacity.

TT mfgs have a different agenda, they want to show that their products are lighter than they are - how do they do this? Often by omitting optional equipment from their listed "dry wt" they also don't include the LPG and batteries - which add directly to the tongue wt. The feds say that they have to list the CCC and also note how much weight a full tank of water will add to the unit - and also subtract from the rest of your cargo capacity. My Rule of Thumb for quickly determining if a TT and TV combo are going to work is to take the three numbers that are fixed - the Combined Gross Wt. Rating (CGWR) and the Gross Vehicle Wt. Ratings (GVWR) of the truck and trailer - if the two GVWRs added together are close to the CGWR of the truck then it is a good match to do final numbers on to insure that your not going to exceed the GVWR or the GAWR of the truck. This is when I also calculate the maximum tongue wt. by finding the % of the dry wt that is on the tongue and applying it to the GVWR ie a 7000 lb drywt and 700 lb tongue wt would mean that 10% of the trailer's wt is on the tongue. So if the GVWR of the TT is say 10,000 lbs you could estimate that 10% or 1000 lbs would be on the tongue. That tongue wt is also part of the truck's payload - even with a WD hitch the majority of that wt is carried on the truck.

I encourage you to run these numbers on your F150 and ORV 25RDS and see how they work out.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well said!

Since I do mountain passes, more than average, my limit is 60% to 70% of tow rating to have a stress free drive.
AltaLad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow