Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Towing a Timber Ridge in the Snow

During our last trip we stopped at Lakeside Campground just North of Hinton, Alberta.

This campsite is open all year but only two campsites had been plowed using a gated entrance. The public road had 12"-24" of snow on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160323_191733.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	122613

Name:	20160323_192034.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	122614

The next day we needed snow chains as tire tracks had turned to ice.

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	122615

Name:	20160324_120859.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	122618

The chains are customized with (not suppose to put chains on a Ford with 20" wheels) shorter cross chains to protect the alum wheel. Also the cross chains are every 2nd link vs standard of every 4th. This provides a far superior ride but makes the chains heavier so we never go over 10mph using just the blue tensioner. Over 10mph 6 - 15" bunji cords are added.

Take Care
John

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I visited Yosemite in November, There was a considerable amount of snow on the road, and it was still falling. National Park rules can be more strict than the state rules for traction devices, and I had to put chains on the truck and trailer in order to continue past the entrance booth. It took hours to get to Yosemite Valley, but I did, safely, and I'm glad I had bought chains for both vehicles long before I was in a situation where I would need them.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
When I visited Yosemite in November, There was a considerable amount of snow on the road, and it was still falling. National Park rules can be more strict than the state rules for traction devices, and I had to put chains on the truck and trailer in order to continue past the entrance booth. It took hours to get to Yosemite Valley, but I did, safely, and I'm glad I had bought chains for both vehicles long before I was in a situation where I would need them.
Hi

How was the trailer with chains? I was told they are not needed if the trailer brakes are disabled.

John

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It towed great. I use Z-Chain exclusively. The confidence alone was worth more than I paid for the chains. I believe that if the tow vehicle needs chains, the trailer needs chains.

For those that don't know why this might be important:

If you have to stop, you step on the brakes, and the TV will slow, but the trailer can push it if the trailer tires don't have traction. Enough force and angle between the trailer and the TV could cause a jack-knife.

In slippery road conditions like ice or snow, you want the trailer brakes to have some effect on helping to slow the entire vehicle. Chains or other approved traction aids do this. If the road is a sheet of ice, the weight transfer off the trailer tires could cause them to lock up, and then you're in the wild wild west of towing on ice. Not something I want to experience.

Maybe a fifth wheel RV acts differently in the above scenario. I know that tractor-trailer rigs experience weight shift while braking and the trailer tires can easily lock up in slippery road conditions and the trailer swing out. Seen it happen right in front of me. Preventable if the driver had put chains on the trailer tires.

My travel trailer doesn't have ABS. Makes chains all that more needed in my opinion.

If a US national park has a chain restriction, you must have chains for the trailer, too. No chains according to their specifications, and you don't get to drive with a trailer in the national park.

In some places they may not be legally required, but to me, trailer traction devices make all the sense in the world. If I put chains on the truck, they go on the trailer, too. Small investment in time and money pays off big for safety.

If your TV needs chains to hit the road, and you don't have trailer chains too, Maybe you should just hang out until the roads clear. This is all just my opinion, of course.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the explanation 1BigMess, given that I've lived most of my life in the desert with no snow it was informative and something I didn't know or haven't even considered.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
During our last trip we stopped at Lakeside Campground just North of Hinton, Alberta.

This campsite is open all year but only two campsites had been plowed using a gated entrance. The public road had 12"-24" of snow on it.

Attachment 122613

Attachment 122614

The next day we needed snow chains as tire tracks had turned to ice.

Attachment 122615
Attachment 122618

The chains are customized with (not suppose to put chains on a Ford with 20" wheels) shorter cross chains to protect the alum wheel. Also the cross chains are every 2nd link vs standard of every 4th. This provides a far superior ride but makes the chains heavier so we never go over 10mph using just the blue tensioner. Over 10mph 6 - 15" bunji cords are added.

Take Care
John
Looks like a typical Alberta summer....
It must be too early for the black flies and mosquitoes....lololol

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing