Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trailer vs 5th wheel for full timing

Seems like everyone that full times is doing it in a 5th wheel or bigger. I've been researching for my upcoming retirement next year. We are sold on something made from outdoors RV. We currently have a Wind River. Love the build quality. We are thinking of ordering a new Blackstone 280 trailer next year. We would save $$$ going with a trailer over the 5th(29.5k). But we currently have a 3/4 cummins dodge, paid for, and would have to upgrade the truck for the 5th.
Build quality is the same between the two RV's I'm looking at, and we like the floor plan of the trailer.
Question, anyone have experience full timing in a trailer, and what issues have come up that would be resolved with the 5th wheel.
I understand the 5th has more storage, but the truck has a 8ft bed and canopy. What's the advantage with storage in the 5th?
I can afford the bigger truck and 5th-- just call me frugal.
rvxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

I'm full timing in a 23RKS and love it. But I'm alone.

I would challenge That idea that you have more storage with a 5th Vs a TT.

With a TT you can use the bed of the pick up. You can store a great deal in the bed when you use containers.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
dfm

We spend about 4 months a year in our trailer. I fully believe We have more storage in our trailer model along with the covered truck bed than most 5'ers.
Ours is a 340flr Highland ridge. If you look at some of the You tube videos you get a pretty good idea of how much storage there is in the pass through and the trunk of the RV. We seem to use very cubic foot of it as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Im not able to go full time yet but my buddy's are. Just had to trailers park along the house for about a week. One has been full time for over 10 years and the other retired about 3 years ago. Both are fulltiming in travel trailers around the 30 foot mark.
bucknaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #5

What ever floats your boat. The only thing you will loose is outside storage. But the truck bed properly equipped can help in that department.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxtc View Post
Seems like everyone that full times is doing it in a 5th wheel or bigger. I've been researching for my upcoming retirement next year. We are sold on something made from outdoors RV. We currently have a Wind River. Love the build quality. We are thinking of ordering a new Blackstone 280 trailer next year. We would save $$$ going with a trailer over the 5th(29.5k). But we currently have a 3/4 cummins dodge, paid for, and would have to upgrade the truck for the 5th.
Build quality is the same between the two RV's I'm looking at, and we like the floor plan of the trailer.
Question, anyone have experience full timing in a trailer, and what issues have come up that would be resolved with the 5th wheel.
I understand the 5th has more storage, but the truck has a 8ft bed and canopy. What's the advantage with storage in the 5th?
I can afford the bigger truck and 5th-- just call me frugal.
I would go fifth wheel if I had the choice. Pulls easier more storage etc...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IMHO there are 2 drawbacks to a TT.....I like the high ceiling in a fiver makes it less claustrophobic when stock inside due to weather or. Also the storage is bigger in a fiver, yes you can put it in the back of the truck, but then you are hauling all you stuff with you everywhere you go , even when you leave the trailer behind to go exploring. On the flip side, no inside stairs, no hitch in the bed and less weight. All depends on the type of full timing you expect to do.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think park of it is the frame of mind you have about it. On the way home from picking up our new 20RD we met a couple and members of this forum that has been full timing in a Creekside FQ20 for the past 18 months. They loved the experience but were selling the 20FQ and go without an RV for awhile.
We have a large 5th wheel also. It is great if you spend several months in it at a time. But if you are wanting to travel a lot and get into about anyplace, a small travel trailer fits the bill. The height of a TT is a lot less than a 5th wheel usually.
We are looking forward to a lot of trips with the 20RD. We love it for that purpose. I can tell you after a few months in a large 5th wheel it becomes small also. Almost seems like a 50 footer would still be small. That is what I mean about the frame of mind you have about it. JB
Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolu View Post
I think park of it is the frame of mind you have about it. On the way home from picking up our new 20RD we met a couple and members of this forum that has been full timing in a Creekside FQ20 for the past 18 months. They loved the experience but were selling the 20FQ and go without an RV for awhile.
We have a large 5th wheel also. It is great if you spend several months in it at a time. But if you are wanting to travel a lot and get into about anyplace, a small travel trailer fits the bill. The height of a TT is a lot less than a 5th wheel usually.
We are looking forward to a lot of trips with the 20RD. We love it for that purpose. I can tell you after a few months in a large 5th wheel it becomes small also. Almost seems like a 50 footer would still be small. That is what I mean about the frame of mind you have about it. JB
Thanks for that helpful post. We bought our trailer with the idea that we wanted something that I could maneuver into small campsites. Now I am getting two footitess. In reality our trailer really is just fine for what we do with it, since we mostly camp during good weather we don't spend much time indoors anyway. Sometimes you got to be just thankful for what you have. Sure beats the tent we always used before.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
IMHO there are 2 drawbacks to a TT.....I like the high ceiling in a fiver makes it less claustrophobic when stock inside due to weather or. Also the storage is bigger in a fiver, yes you can put it in the back of the truck, but then you are hauling all you stuff with you everywhere you go , even when you leave the trailer behind to go exploring. On the flip side, no inside stairs, no hitch in the bed and less weight. All depends on the type of full timing you expect to do.
Less money for the TT too.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #11

re storage. imho, much depends upon the design and size of the TT or 5W. if you wish to continue using campsites, then likely you will need a smaller rig, and any small TT or 5W will not have much storage. thus, a TT is my preference for national parks, as the truck bed can store a very large volume, and a canopy will keep everything dry and clean.

re 5W vs TT for handling. this argument has held for some 40 years, but is almost a non-issue now thanks to new tech. either are now much easier to hitch up than before. both will cause squat, and the TT squat can easily be overcome by installing air springs [giving added benefit of less TV roll, something a WD hitch cannot do]. a TT may require more driver experience to reverse and park, but this becomes second nature rather quickly for a full timer. the most frequent complaint about TTs is sway: but this is resolved by installing the Tuson anti-sway device. both a TT and 5W will cause "bucking bronco", and so either will need an air or torsion hitch to alleviate this. also, both will require levelling. equipped with air springs, Tuson, level mate, and gen-y hitch, I find a 30ft TT as easy to tow and reverse as a 5W; in fact a TT is easier to negotiate turns at intersections. a TT will be less tall, so less of a concern for height restrictions, and less aero drag. a TT can have as many amenities as a 5W, again depending upon size and design [no smaller TT or 5W will have a clothes washer - a pet peeve of mine]. both will require maintenance. and finally, a TT will be usually much less cost, so less mental agony when damaged or when sold.

my advice, like that of many others, is to reduce your requirements to the "bare necessities" [just like Balloo in Disney's Jungle Book - a genius of animation]. the freedom this brings is mentally and emotionally very uplifting, and you may be more enviro friendly overall too.

fwiw.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Everyone thinks they need more storage. I would argue that everyone needs less stuff.

It's me and the dog full time in my "little" ORV 19B, but it works great. I can get it into smaller spaces like USFS campgrounds and National Parks with ease, and it's easier to heat and cool the smaller space.

I work for a company that sends me all over the place to work, and it's easy to get into gas stations, parking lots for almost anything like groceries or coffee shops, and I can use the smaller spaces at RV parks that don't cost as much as the big pull-thru spaces.

It has a lot going for it that I wouldn't get with a longer, heavier, more expensive trailer. And all the longer trailer would be good for is to haul more stuff. Stuff that I likely don't really need. I made a decision when I did this to have experiences and reduce stuff. It's working out pretty well.

STUFF
Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Everyone thinks they need more storage. I would argue that everyone needs less stuff.

It's me and the dog full time in my "little" ORV 19B, but it works great. I can get it into smaller spaces like USFS campgrounds and National Parks with ease, and it's easier to heat and cool the smaller space.

I work for a company that sends me all over the place to work, and it's easy to get into gas stations, parking lots for almost anything like groceries or coffee shops, and I can use the smaller spaces at RV parks that don't cost as much as the big pull-thru spaces.

It has a lot going for it that I wouldn't get with a longer, heavier, more expensive trailer. And all the longer trailer would be good for is to haul more stuff. Stuff that I likely don't really need. I made a decision when I did this to have experiences and reduce stuff. It's working out pretty well.

STUFF
Well stated...PERFECT!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

STUFF
AGREED.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer