Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tst 510 tpms

Any one using the TST-510 tire monitoring system. Opinions good or bad?

Thanks for your info
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

I have that system. I bought 6 "pass through" sensors for the coach and 4 non-pass through for my trailer and my car. I recently purchased another screen, one set up for 80psi on the trailer and the other for 34psi for my car. (It's a PITA to program so that's why I purchased 2 screens. Once it's programmed, it works great. The repeater that comes with the kit is mounted in the furthest storage compartment at the rear of my coach and as such, I don't lose the signal from the car or trailer. It takes a minute or 2 for the receiver (screen) to capture the signals form the wheel transmitters but that's no problem. By the time I start up and move, I have the signals from all the transmitters.

I'm sure there are other opinions but I'm satisfied with the unit and, the staff are eager to help with programming or other issues.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Dave View Post

Thanks for your info
I have heard good reviews and all had + / -. I just ordered the EZZ Tire version of the TPMS.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one. Works well.

I have both the regular and pass through sensors (regular on the front due to needed wheel cover clearance). Don't care much for the pass through sensors as they are slow to add air. The regulars I have I just easily remove when airing the tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a fairly recent discussion of TPMS here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/what...ng-291825.html

I looked at TST, EEZTire, and TireMinder. After reading the manuals for all 3 online it appears to me that TST and EEZTire are almost twins. The monitor screens are different but the sensors, setup, and operation are nearly identical. Probably made at the same factory in Asia somewhere.

In the end I chose TST although I don't think you could go wrong with any of these 3. I went with the non-flowthrough sensors because I didn't like how far the flowthrough sensors stick out. And removing the non-flowthrough sensors to air the tires doesn't seem to be a problem. I found the sensors very easy to install and program, although the manual is mediocre at best (EEZTire's manual is, in my opinion, better). I did end up calling TST tech support a few days later with an operations related question and found them to be very friendly and helpful.

But again, I think you'd be happy with any of these 3 (and probably several others).
Old 08-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks for your info
We have that system with the flo-thru sensors for about 3 years now. To add air I usually take them off as it is a lot slower with them on. The system is quite good in my opinion, works as advertised. When we went to the 5th wheel had to add repeater because different sensors would loose contact after about an hour on the road. Customer service was first rate also.
Pete
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've used the TST system for a few years with our coach and toad. Now we're getting ready to use it with our trailer.

On your trailer, make sure to switch out the rubber valve stems for solid metal ones before installing the sensors. The weight of the sensor can rip the rubber valve stem out of the rim.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks everybody for your comments and info
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How many switched out to steel valves or are you all going with the rubber valves?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Thanks everybody for your comments and info
Hi Dave,

I've had a good experience with the TST system for perhaps 4 years or so. I've had both types of sensors on both types of valve stems. I put in steel stems with my new Maxxis, just because I could and I could see no downside to the steel. But I never had problems with the rubber stems, no cracking, etc. I don't think they flop around in the breeze as some have suggested. I think centrifugal force will prevent that.

I wasn't keen on the non-flow through sensors because I found them difficult to remove to just check the air pressure the old fashioned way. Yes the flow-throughs are slow to fill but that need is infrequent for me.

Good luck.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
How many switched out to steel valves or are you all going with the rubber valves?
I switched to metal valve stems when I bought new tires and mounted my TPMS. Not sure it was necessary but I was in full paranoia mode after having lost 3 tires on one trip. None were valve stem related, but I have had valve stem failures on my vehicles in the past, when the rubber stems cracked and started leaking, so figured I'd just eliminate that potential headache.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I first started using the system a few years ago, I simply put the sensors on the tow vehicle, thinking nothing about the valve stems. This worked quite satisfactorily for a while, until one day I had tire suddenly lose air while traveling. The rubber valve stem was cut through by flexing inside the hole in the wheel. While repairing this, we checked the other valve stems and they showed damage too. Since that time I have insisted on metal valve stems for tire pressure monitor sensors.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
When we had our last travel trailer I had them switched out to metal valve stems, but as off yet still have the rubber ones in. When we get new tires will probably switch to metal valve stems as they are cheap insurance. 10000 miles with the rubber and no problems so far.
Pete
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

According to TST's website the new flow thru sensors are lighter than the originals and do not require metal valve stems.
TST 507 TPMS system
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote