Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, I'm afraid I'm very confused. Lots of questions but to avoid confusion I will ask one at a time.

From what I understand you to be saying, the plate behind the TV with 2 connectors should be labeled "TV only" for the bottom connector and "Satellite" for the top connector? On mine that is how the bottom connector is labeled but the top one is labeled "Tele Seulment", which I am now understanding is also " TV Only "but in french. I should probably relabel the top one to say " Satellite " to avoid confusion in the future. This does seem to be how things are working. There is a coaxial cable going from the "TV Only" connector to the coaxial connector on the TV and I am getting OTA signals so that bottom connector appears to be working for OTA TV.

I also connected my Dish satellite antennae to the DSS connector on the outside of the trailer and then connected the Dish receiver to the top connector in the wall plate behind the TV ( the one currently labeled "Tele Seulment") and the satellite is working fine. So I should relabel that connector to say" Satellite ", right?
fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Yes, I'm afraid I'm very confused. Lots of questions but to avoid confusion I will ask one at a time.

From what I understand you to be saying, the plate behind the TV with 2 connectors should be labeled "TV only" for the bottom connector and "Satellite" for the top connector? On mine that is how the bottom connector is labeled but the top one is labeled "Tele Seulment", which I am now understanding is also " TV Only "but in french. I should probably relabel the top one to say " Satellite " to avoid confusion in the future. This does seem to be how things are working. There is a coaxial cable going from the "TV Only" connector to the coaxial connector on the TV and I am getting OTA signals so that bottom connector appears to be working for OTA TV.

I also connected my Dish satellite antennae to the DSS connector on the outside of the trailer and then connected the Dish receiver to the top connector in the wall plate behind the TV ( the one currently labeled "Tele Seulment") and the satellite is working fine. So I should relabel that connector to say" Satellite ", right?
You are correct. The top connector should be labeled satellite. I'm curious is the "Tele Seulment" a sticker or is it molded into the plastic wall plate? It sounds like somebody new in production put the sticker in the wrong place. I suspect that underneath the "Tele Seulment" you will see it already labeled 'Satellite'. As long as everything works properly as I have explained then it looks like a mis-label issue.

Next question?...
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whew! One down! . The "Tele Seulment" is a label. If I peel it back there is no label or embossment beneath. I will relabel when we get back home.

Next question: what is the DSS-OUT connector for? This connector is also behind the TV on a wall plate by itself. I think you mentioned that it can somehow be used to allow viewing of the satellite feed on the TV in the bedroom? Or maybe I misunderstood? There is an unlabeled coaxial connector on the ceiling in the bedroom but I assumed that this connector only provides OTA signal? How would I get satellite on the bedroom TV?
fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #18

Sat Feed to Bedroom

I believe there is a Coax feed directly from behind the tv to the bedroom. If done correctly is RG 6 Coax.This could be used to:
1) Run a coax from your sat receiver in the living room to the bedroom tv. This would not give you High Definition signal in the bedroom , only standard def, and you would have to watch the same channel in the bedroom as the receiver in the living room.
2) Run a splitter and split the sat signal feed to another receiver in the bedroom. If you use Direct tv and have a SWM dish this can be done with one cable and a swm splitter.
3) If you do not have swm but like myself have Shaw Direct I need 3 lines from the dish in to the trailer. I am going to run 2 extra lines for my satellite . 2 Lines from the lnb are from the dish to the living room receiver so the dvr can record on two different transponders at once or two shows at once. The third line in will pick up the coax that runs to the bedroom and allow me to run a High Def/Non DVR receiver and then the bedroom can watch any show at any time.

Hope this helps. For you americans with direct tv SWM it is a much easier install.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
HDTV antenna

Anyone have any experience with Leaf HDTV antenna?
rondafleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 AM   #20

I bought a Leaf amplified flat antenna to use in my shop/business (across parking lot from my house). It has done a good job receiving about 50 - 60 digital channels in a suburbs about 30 minutes north of Philadelphia. I have a 28" Vizio smart TV in the shop for times when I do idiots work, or a lot of OT. I also have 3 WIFI networks so I can stream just about anything that my heart desires to that same TV. No complaints with the Leaf, but they make an outdoor pole version that is also amplified, and has a better Db rating. This could be mounted to an RV. The flat one is rated for indoor use, I have it mounted on the inside of a window facing outward, so as not to pick up minor stray RF that could be generated from machinery, etc in the shop.
wthesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
Well I will give it a whirl and post again after this weekend.
Thanks
rondafleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #22

Commercial Member

Telemarc is correct. You would connect an output from your sat receiver to the DSS-OUT which will send the signal to the bedroom tv location. The sat connection plate in the bedroom is plain with only a coax connector and should be labeled DSS. You should also have a separate plate (coax connector and 12v outlet) which is for park cable/ant signal which splits off from the main tv wall plate in the living room.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
Telemarc is correct. You would connect an output from your sat receiver to the DSS-OUT which will send the signal to the bedroom tv location. The sat connection plate in the bedroom is plain with only a coax connector and should be labeled DSS. You should also have a separate plate (coax connector and 12v outlet) which is for park cable/ant signal which splits off from the main tv wall plate in the living room.
ORVPDMAN: Two problems/questions:

You say that the connection plate in the bedroom "...is plain with only a coax connector and should be labeled DSS". In the ceiling of the bedroom there are 2 plates. One plate contains a duplex 110v outlet and the other plate has a 12v (cigarette plug style) outlet and an unlabeled coax connection. It is not marked DSS. And if I plug a TV into this coaxial connector it gives me OTA signals, so I have assumed that this is only for OTA and not cable or satellite?

The second question is regarding your statement that "you would connect an output from your satellite receiver to the DSS-OUT which will send the signal to the bedroom TV location.". Assuming I had the correct coax connector in the bedroom (which I am questioning in my first paragraph), my satellite receiver only has one coaxial connector on the back. That is the one that I connect to the "Satellite" connector behind the TV (the one labeled "Tele Seulment" in my case) and thus connects to the Dish antennae (which is connected to the DSS connector on the outside of the trailer). Maybe the type of connection that you are referring to requires a satellite receiver with 2 coax connectors on the back? If I was to run a coaxial cable from the back of my receiver to the "DSS-OUT" plug behind the TV then I don't think I'd have a connection to my Dish antennae anymore. Right?

Maybe whoever wired my WR at the factory was running on some serious lack of sleep....
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #24

Commercial Member

I have to apologize...I just realized by looking at your signature that you have a 2013. That is where the confusion is. We did not add in the Sat connection in the bedroom until 2014 model year. Do you have the exterior tv bracket and connections on doorside as well as the incoming signal connections at the rear exterior? I suspect that your 'DSS-OUT' goes to the exterior tv location at doorside which we have done away with in current production.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, when I am posting from my phone sometimes it includes the signature but most times it doesn't. I'm back home now so am posting from my desktop computer which always adds the signature.

Yes, it's a 2013. And yes, it has a TV mount on the side of the trailer along with a DSS connection and an unlabeled connection (for OTA signals, I would assume).

So, no way to get satellite to the TV in the bedroom. My wife will be very disappointed. Not sure how difficult it is to run new wire in these trailers once they are built, but may have to have a conversation with the guy up at La Grande, who used to work for ORV but now works on his own (can't remember his name right now but he installed my solar panels for me and did a terrific job).

Also, you are saying that the DSS-OUT connector behind the TV in the living room goes to the DSS connector on the outside side of the trailer by the TV mount. However, I'm still thinking that it wouldn't work with my satellite receiver since it only has one coax connector on the back, and that still has to be connected to the "Satellite" connector behind the TV in the living room (to give a connection to the Dish antennae that is plugged into the DSS connector on the back of the trailer)? Right? Said another way, the single connector on my receiver would seem to be an "input" to the receiver from the Dish antennae, and I would need an "output" connector to go to the DSS-OUT connector?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #26

Commercial Member

Yea you would have to have somebody run another cable and jack to the bedroom if you want both sat and cable programming in there. There may may a switchbox that will accomplish this by doing the following... If you are ok with only sat at the bedroom you could go behind the lvrm wall plates and connect the tv-2 cable to the back of the dss-out plate that currently sends the dss signal out to the exterior doorside tv location. This of course would disable dss to the exterior tv location. Then connect your receiver 'out' to the dss-out to get signal to the bedroom however if your receiver only has one 'out' and you wanted to watch sat in the lvrm room then you would have to disconnect it from the dss-out plate and then connect back to the tv.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think we are on the same page now, but I'm still stumbling on one thing:

You were saying that I could change the connections on the back of the wall plate in the living room and then ".... Then connect your receiver 'out' to the dss-out to get signal to the bedroom however if your receiver only has one 'out' and you wanted to watch sat in the lvrm room then you would have to disconnect it from the dss-out plate and then connect back to the tv." What I'm stumbling on is connecting my "receiver out" to the "DSS-OUT" (on the wall plate behind the TV". My receiver doesn't have any coax connections that are "out". It only has one coax connector that is marked "Satellite In" and that is the input from the dish. So, if routing satellite to either the outside TV location or the bedroom requires a receiver with a "satellite OUT" connector, then I guess I'm out of luck and no sense in my messing with the wiring. I just bought this satellite receiver "Dish VP211Z" and at the time didn't know that I should be looking for something with a "satellite out" connector.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on this. Very much appreciated! This isn't the first time I've thought I should have bought a 2014 WR instead of a 2013. Seems like there were several nice improvements between 13 and 14.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #28

Commercial Member

Hmm...yeah I'm really not a satellite expert. I know you can get adapters to go from HDMI/RCA to coax but not sure if the satellite signal will get thru. Not sure how much more help I can be on this one. Oh and if it makes you feel any better the 2014 models use coax dss to the bedroom anyway ...maybe Dish has a recommendation??