Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

TV Viewing

Hello,

Attempting to narrow down selection between ORV and Arctic Fox. Truthfully I like the ORV better EXCEPT for one thing. MY wife and I both have neck issues so its beneficial to have a a TV viewing arrangement where the less we have to turn our necks the better. I only see two models where this looks possible. The 250RDS and the 260RLS. But on both I suspect it is a 32 in TV. If so the placement of the TV is way to far away. Optimum viewing distance for a 32in TV is 5 - 6 1/2 feet. These TV's are further than that by a long shot.

I don't get why its seems to be so hard to build a trailer with a comfortable viewing arrangement. The only one I have seen so far having this is the Grand Design 2670MK with the pop-up TV.

I would hope that Travel Trailer Mfg'ers might recognize that their consumer base is changing. The kids are gone. The boomers are retiring. I don't need to sleep 6 people or sitting arrangements for 8 people. I need a comfortable High quality, boon-dockable trailer for two people

Comments appreciated.

Rgds
nonrev
nonrev321initial is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I feel your pain!

I found the same issue in picking a motorhome.

There are just the two of us, and we like our TV programs and news. Unfortunately, many units we looked at put the TV(s) in places where you would have to turn sideways to watch.

If you can't find a layout that works, it will always bother you, and your wife will remind you of that bad decision.

Perhaps the solution is to investigate other brands.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

My Rockwood is a rear kitchen model and meets your needs.....lol.....but not for sale...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most trailers and fifth wheels that have the rear living room layout mount the tv on the wall behind the shower. Very good viewing. Ours is a 40".
As long as we sit in the recliners, the tv is good. Not so much if we sit on the couch.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Can you modify the existing mount with a swing-arm mount? MorRyde makes especially for RVs. Not cheap, but better than a sore neck.

I just have to ask, what on TV is worth watching??

(don't take personally, I just have a badd attitude about TV)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #6

TV

Ha! I'm not taking it personal.

Mostly we like classic movies and some new movies. Some of the new media such as Netflix, HBO, etc are putting out some excellent series. We have a lot of stuff recorded.

nonrev
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our TV is in a corner over the dinette.

It pulls out and can be angled to point at
the two recliners opposite the dinette.

The recliners swivel just enough to line up with the TV.

So try looking for floor plans with swivel recliners or where they can be retro-fitted.

And yes, we too carry along complete collections of old TV series and movies on DVD.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
DH put a really good swing and tilt mount on ours when we replaced the TV with a bigger model. He had to measure carefully to get a TV that fit, but the end result was much better than the original mount. We also replaced the terrible jack knife sofa in ours wit two recliners. Can’t help with the distance issue, but we basically sit right across from the TV.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #9

We have the ORV 280RKS and I agree the tv is not designed for viewing. We are not big tv watchers, a Netflix movie every other night on average. My Darling would get a neck ache from her chair position so to remedy that I pull her chair out in to the middle of the room. It is a hassle but the only work around for seating. We did replace the stock tv with a larger Samsung smart tv.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Our TV is in a corner over the dinette.

It pulls out and can be angled to point at
the two recliners opposite the dinette.

The recliners swivel just enough to line up with the TV.

So try looking for floor plans with swivel recliners or where they can be retro-fitted.

And yes, we too carry along complete collections of old TV series and movies on DVD.
One of the reasons we searched for and bought this particular floorplan, too bad it was changed it in late 2016. Also when using a rest stop or parking lot for a break while travelling, the slide doesn't have be to pushed all the way out in order to use the dinette to have lunch or dinner.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #11

Northwood and ORV lag on floor plan design. Grand Design pretty much hit it out of the ball park with many of their trailers regardless of whether it's a TH, TT or 5th wheel.
I'd never own one though so like you pretty much stuck with ORV and NW. I have a NW Fox Mountain and we replaced the rear sofa with recliners and added a 40" Samsung. Works great.
I feel your (neck) pain though in that both NW and ORV don't offer good tv viewing floor plans. IMO the NW AF 32A is pretty good . It does come with a 40" tv that can be viewed from two spots. The 29-L is okay but can't stand the kitchen. The rest are neck strainers. Only option is to be able to move some furniture around to get a better view.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 AM   #12

I agree, I looked at some Grand Design because of the good things I had heard, in truth I wasn't that impressed EXCEPT with their floor plans. Their trailers are made for living in them like you would at your home. Northwood and ORV could learn a thing or two from them, even better, steal their designer. Their still designing interiors like its 1960 and people are hauling a 2-3 child family around. My two biggest grips are no comfortable TV viewing angle and distance and lack of counter space in the kitchen... again Grand Design had both these issues addressed in many of their models

I believe we have it narrowed down to the AF 29L or the ORV 260RLS. Both seem to have an arrangement that can be modified for better viewing.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have to take all aspects into consideration. From use-ability with the slides closed, total storage, size of the seating areas, location of the tanks, weight balance for towing...

We looked 18 months for "The right floor plan for our 3 adult family". The first 2 "must have's" for us were. Is it usable with the slide closed, and where will my son sleep. After looking at a lot of floor plans, it took my wife 15 minutes to tell me this was the one.....when we finally saw our TR 24 rks in person. Too bad we had to go 2000 miles to actually see one.....

We do "some" off grid camping. We have not showed my son yet that the TV is 12 volts and "can" operate when we don't plug in the trailer.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonrev321initial View Post
Hello,

Attempting to narrow down selection between ORV and Arctic Fox. Truthfully I like the ORV better EXCEPT for one thing. MY wife and I both have neck issues so its beneficial to have a a TV viewing arrangement where the less we have to turn our necks the better. I only see two models where this looks possible. The 250RDS and the 260RLS. But on both I suspect it is a 32 in TV. If so the placement of the TV is way to far away. Optimum viewing distance for a 32in TV is 5 - 6 1/2 feet. These TV's are further than that by a long shot.

I don't get why its seems to be so hard to build a trailer with a comfortable viewing arrangement. The only one I have seen so far having this is the Grand Design 2670MK with the pop-up TV.

I would hope that Travel Trailer Mfg'ers might recognize that their consumer base is changing. The kids are gone. The boomers are retiring. I don't need to sleep 6 people or sitting arrangements for 8 people. I need a comfortable High quality, boon-dockable trailer for two people

Comments appreciated.

Rgds
nonrev
We nearly got an ORV 260RLS and instead bought a 24RLS in part because of the TV placement. With the 2 recliners it is a good viewing angle. We also replaced the standard 32" Jensen with a 40" Samsung TV. This fit very well in the space on the 24RLS.

I little off-topic, but we chose the 24RLS over the 260RLS for a couple other reasons.

- It is a little smaller, so gives access to a few more more campsites
- With the slide in you have access to the front and back of the trailer using a single door