Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unable to Light Stove

Every year after de-winterizing my RV I have a different issue which I get to beat my head on for several days before posting to this forum. This year is no exception, so the good news is my streak is alive!!

For clarification I have a 2016 Glacier Peak F26RKS. My current issue is I can't get my stove top burners to light. I do this as my first step in confirming that my LP is working properly. I have checked the LP levels, turned on both tanks and switched the valve over to the service tank. I have tried to light the burner many times, at one point I left the stove on for 12 minutes attempting to light it every 5-10 seconds, yet I got nothing. I tried with both the stove top sparker and a lighter.

Here are the steps I have taken:
  • I have sprayed the lines with soapy water and do not see anything
  • I have had multiple people come and smell for LP and they smelled nothing
  • Ensured that the water heater by pass value was correct and the water heater was filled with water
At this juncture I am am thinking that the regulator is busted.

So here are my questions. Is it normal to take that long to light a burner? Previous years it only took a minute or two. Is there anything else I should be checking?
DamnYuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can you light your oven?
Try running your fridge and hot water tank on propane? I think if these operate on propane it may not be your propane regulator.
Just something to try.

Good luck
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

I am thinking either your regulator or the two way valve at the tanks. Have heard of a lot of failures with these lately.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

I turn off my propane. Because of this in the spring the lines are empty. Where it goes who knows but its not uncommon. Although this spring it wasn't too bad and last season I replaced the rubber hose from the regulator to the lines to the coach. Its possible that the 14 yr old line was off gasing due to age.

I turn on my stove until I smell propane shut it off and wait a minute or two till it clears and then turn it back on and click the ignition. Then I light the other two burners. At the beginning of the season I let the burners run until the flame is steady on all burners.

If you smell propane and its still not lighting. Turn off wait till it clears and then light with a match. If this works you have an ignition problem not a propane problem.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

How did you check the propane levels ? Pour hot water over the tank and look for a line around the tank. Should show level.

Hold a match next to the burner. If the match flame moves away from the burner, something is flowing.

If no flow, turn off the tanks, remove the connectors, put them back on and slowly open the tanks. Still no flow, tap on the regulator.

Until you get gas at the stove burner, don't worry about the other appliances. If no gas flow or smell, your wasting your time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

And remember....the pigtails have a valve inside them....turn bottles on fast, the vavle will think there's a major leak and close the flow off....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup, like Bob said, turn the bottles off, open a propane source to equalize pressure and then open them real slow. And sometimes when they get slightly overfilled they are more sensitive to the valve cutting off.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Problem solved!

I turned off the tanks and disconnected them.

I went in the RV and took the grate off the top of the stove. I noticed the whole top was a little loose so I lifted it up and made sure everything was connected. I popped it back into place and then just for giggles turned on the burner and lit a match. Low and behold it ignited!

So I went and reconnected the tanks and turned them on SLOWLY. I could hear it go "whoosh" in the lines. When back and was able to fire up all the burners, then the refrigerator, and the water heater. All in all I am very pleased.

Thank you all for the advice, I am not sure exactly what the problem was but it is always good to come here and get feedback and support!
DamnYuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light