Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
USB/Cig not working 20FQ - where to start?

Hey friends, MTSam here.

Since day1 our 2 USB ports and the 12 volt Cig adapter next to the front door (side of the dinette) has not had power. -- Creekside 20FQ 2017

Where do I start to look? Please help me fix this. Dealership seemed 'fishy' (maybe my expectations are too much..??)

It's not a GFI trip. I checked that.

1) Where do I go next to solve the issue?
2) Where is the fuse panel in this unit??
3) If I wait for another month (it's already been a month) to get into the dealership, they say to anticipate a **Few Days** of guessing before they'll have an answer -- once they start to work on it.

Are my expectations too high?? A few days??? How complex is this wiring system truthfully??

Thanks for your help.

MTSam
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Update

Ok found the fuse panel -- who knew that'd be so easy??

Figure it would be off the 7.5 fuse, am I right?
Is there any way to know if the fuse is bad by looking at it, or do you just try slipping in a new one? I'm asking because any store is over an hour away one way...
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post
Ok found the fuse panel -- who knew that'd be so easy??

Figure it would be off the 7.5 fuse, am I right?
Is there any way to know if the fuse is bad by looking at it, or do you just try slipping in a new one? I'm asking because any store is over an hour away one way...
On our unit the fuse has a bulb beside the fuse that lights up if it is blown.

I would check the ground on the USB charger, I was having problems with some electrical on our GP and I found a grounding point secured with electrical tape!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is a DC circuit so no GFI (that is AC). Without some sort of wiring diagram it is hard to troubleshoot. The charger is probably not on a 7 A ckt but on a bigger one along with other items. I have not really looked at the fuse panel in my rig so I don't know for sure.

If it has never worked perhaps someone forgot to wire it or a wire has come loose on the back of the charger - pull it out and take a look. The wire could also have come loose at the fuse end.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Digging deeper - still no go.

DH pulled out multi meter after seeing 1) fuses are all good. 2) solar switch and dining room master switch did nothing (hey limiting all variables).

It reads (as it should 7) so there's power going into the charging unit. There is a blue light that's never lit up on it. So our thinking is it's the charging unit/port.

Looking for thoughts ??

Really appreciate your help through all this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	168076  
Old 07-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think 7V is good enough. Those devices should take 13.5V
I'd say you have a bad connection somewhere else and your going to need to continue to follow those wires all the way back to the electrical fuse box looking for bad junctions. Maybe power down the TT by disconnecting the battery and shore power then pull the inverter assembly out and look at all the wiring on the back for bad connections.
jmalone74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalone74 View Post
I don't think 7V is good enough. Those devices should take 13.5V.
Not saying your wrong --
Just wish to show the v on the front of the plate.

5V 1A and 2.1A

Keep me on the straight and narrow, I'm listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5v.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	168087  
Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Not saying your wrong --
Just wish to show the v on the front of the plate.

5V 1A and 2.1A

Keep me on the straight and narrow, I'm listening.
5V is the USB output, the input should read at least 12V depending on the condition of the batteries.
I would suspect a poor connection somewhere, if the batteries are in good shape.

What does the meter read when checking on the non USB side of the unit.

Finding electric gremlins is almost as much fun as herding cats.

Just follow the wiring back to the next connection and test again.

Have fun.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

I agree with jmalone74 and Rickeoni

If the trailer isn't plugged into shore power the multi meter should read less than 12.8VDC at the back side of the plug or between the 2 terminals in the round cigarette plug.

Have you checked the multi meter on the tow vehicle battery to make sure it is reading correctly?

Pull the terminals (called disconnects) off and push them back on.

You could try to pull fuses until you loose power on the power plug then you can identify what other items are powered by the same circuit and check those as well.

The multi meter isn' showing reverve polarity. Last time I checked white is negative on RVs but maybe ORV does things different....looks likes the white is on the positive terminal. There should be + and - next to the terminals.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, there should be 12+ Volts on those connections, the USB plugs have regulators to drop the voltage down to the 5V. As for the other switches that were mentioned that do nothing - you would not know if the Solar SW is doing anything unless you are monitoring the voltage at the batteries with the disconnect sw in the Off position. The other two switches mounted together control the dining area lights and the awning lights. Do you not have dining area lights?

From the photo, it looks like the main power comes in on the 12V plug and he is measuring on the other plug - could be a bad crimp.

Is this a Titanium model? if so then there could be something wrong with the remote control stuff.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we got our new GP home, I found the solar wasn't providing any current to the batteries.
Pulled the Lippert control panel cover, found the 5amp fuse was blown from the panel to the batteries.

These type issues can be a challenge at times. This time I was lucky I found it so fast.
Best part is that the more troubleshooting you do, the better you get at it.
Good luck!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Hey friends, MTSam here.

Since day1 our 2 USB ports and the 12 volt Cig adapter next to the front door (side of the dinette) has not had power. -- Creekside 20FQ 2017

Where do I start to look? Please help me fix this. Dealership seemed 'fishy' (maybe my expectations are too much..??)

It's not a GFI trip. I checked that.

1) Where do I go next to solve the issue?
2) Where is the fuse panel in this unit??
3) If I wait for another month (it's already been a month) to get into the dealership, they say to anticipate a **Few Days** of guessing before they'll have an answer -- once they start to work on it.

Are my expectations too high?? A few days??? How complex is this wiring system truthfully??

Thanks for your help.

MTSam
If you don't have power at the wires behind the USB jack and no fuses are blown, go up to the light switches at the overhead end panel...for the entry and awning lights...that is where the USB is supposed to be powered from. Check to see if the same blue wire taps into the back of the switch connector. Maybe the wire has come loose.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where is his ground on the meter attached??? I've seen a strange reading from meters if not on a "real" ground. Try checking directly in the power plug socket!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Update - Friday

Hey guys, can't thank you enough to give me some things to think about as I got called to work and away from the creekside. Just back in and we've gone through the above thoughts.

Here's the update --

We are on shore power as the heat is obnoxious. (Plugged into house circuit breaker).

The non USB side reads 7.5
The cig adapter in the bedroom reads 13.5
Both rv batteries read 13.72
Metering off truck battery shows meter is functioning properly.

**** the interior and exterior light switches (from inside the kitchen cabinet above sink) read 13.68 On both interior and exterior lights.

Where to look next? Home for the weekend at this point.

Tags
electrical wiring, fuse, usb