Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
HR4

Want to tow Creekside 27bhs

Hi, I am new to this forum but hope this is the right place to post. We are really interested in the Outdoors RV Creekside 27bhs. Wondering if we are able to tow this with our current truck.
Creekside 27BHS - Dry Trailer weight- 6935
Dry Hitch - 660
Max Trailer weight - 8800
Length - 32'7"

Tow Vehicle- 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Max tow package
4x4 supercrew, 145 wheelbase, 3.5L V6 engine
Tow capacity- 11,200
GCVWR - 17,100
GVWR - 7650
Payload- 1700 (Manufacturer states 1900 but door sticker
says 1700)
I have browsed through several sites and am confused as to whether this is too much trailer for the truck or if the truck can handle it. Would love to hear some thoughts especially if someone has a similar set up or experience towing the creekside 27bhs. My husband is the one towing the trailer but has put me in charge of this research. So I am trying my best to understand this. We currently tow a Lance 2185 with no problems at all. Thanks so much.
HR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, HR4,and

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR4 View Post
Outdoors RV Creekside 27bhs.
Max Trailer weight - 8800

Tow Vehicle- 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Max tow package

GVWR - 7650
Payload- 1700
Max tongue weight @15% = 1,320 pounds.

If your payload capacity is accurate, that leaves about 380 pounds for driver, passengers, hitch, and any other stuff you haul when towing.

7,650 minus 1,320 = 6,330 for the wet and loaded F-150 before you tie onto the trailer. My similar 4x2 weighs over 6,000 when wet and loaded for towing, with me and DW and puppydog. Your 4x4 will be around 400 pounds heavier than my 4x2. So you will probably be right up against the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your F-150 if you are very conscious of what you haul in the bed and cabin of the pickup. But if you throw in a family or too much campfire wood or tools and jacks, you'll probably be overloaded over the GVWR of your F-150.

Can you tow that much trailer? You can definitely pull that much weight. Your EcoBoost engine with 3.73 rear axle is a powerhouse. You cannot get close to the 11k tow rating without being overloaded, but 8,800 will be no problem. So don't worry about PULLING that much trailer. Instead, worry about HAULING the hitch weight of that much trailer. Pump the tires up to 44 PSI cold. Be certain you have a good weight-distributing hitch with sway control, then worry about loading the trailer and pickup so the CAT scale shows you're not overloaded over the GVWR of the F-150 with a full tank of gas in the middle of your third RV trip.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
HR4

Thanks for the reply. Payload was my concern, so you answered my question. Not sure I want to be worried about passengers and weight every time we load up. We have two growing boys and a dog. We also have a cap on the bed of the truck so that also eats into payload. If we get the trailer, we are thinking about trading in the 150 for a 250. The biggest concern is that the truck is for daily use and we only tow about 6-8 times per year. Otherwise, we really don't need the 250. Thanks so much for the response.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's always a balancing act with RV's & tow vehicles. We went through the same when we had a TT & then again when we had a 5-r. You have to decide what you're going to use most, then match either the RV or the tow vehicle to it. If you want the gas economy a lighter truck provides for a daily driver, then you'll have to rethink your wants for an RV.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
HR4

Thanks Lori for the sound advice. Good to hear from others. We just love the RV but will have to decide if it makes the most sense to get it.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #6

Once you get all the figures sorted out it will be easy to come to a decision.
The basic problem is that you are suffering from what my dealer calls 2 foot itus. No matter what trailer we have we always want one that is 2 feet longer. There is no known cure, so apparently we will always be afflicted with deadly curse. I just finished helping my middle daughter set up her new trailer that is not surprisingly 2 feet longer than her old one.
You may be able to go larger with an ultra light but I feel they aren't as durable.
I would like to add more but since I also suffer from this disease I need to make plans for the big Fall RV show starting on Thursday.
Good luck with your decision!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
HR4

So funny that you bring up 2 foot itus....because that is exactly what I have. My dealer has already diagnosed me. Thanks for the input regarding the ultra lights. We have been looking at some but really like the quality of our current Lance. Enjoy the RV show. We are contemplating going as well.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

You will be pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton truck. They will get pushed around by wind and passing semi's. I towed with a 2011 5.0 litre F-150. A 5,500 lb. 22' trailer was a good match. At the length you want to tow without white knuckles I would have to recommend a bigger truck.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #9

Don't do it.
Last year we bought a brand new F150 5.0 liter engine truck and then latter went out and bought the Creekside 27BHS. BTW, love the trailer, good choice. Knew right away after driving the trailer off of the dealers lot that the trailer was too big for the truck. The F150 had plenty of power, it just doesn't have the suspension to handle the trailer. The trailer wanted to push the truck around. Not wanting to give up my brand new F150, I installed the Roadmaster active suspension to the back leaf springs. The active suspension did nothing to help the stability. Buying the F150 and the 27' creekside was the biggest financial mistake I have ever made. There was no way I was going to load my family up and take them on a camping trip up the the mountains. I could see us driving off a cliff on the way back down. There is no way I was going to put my family in that much risk. So I bit the bullet and traded in the F150 for a Ram 2500 Cummings diesel. Took a bath on the trade in since the truck was less than 6 months old, but I no longer have to worry about taking the family out. The Ram pulls that trailer like a dream. Also, love the exhaust brake coming down the mountain.
vtwinmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
HR4

Wow...so glad I posted here. Vtwinmax, thanks for sharing your story. It seems pretty clear that the trailer would be too much for our truck. We do love the trailer but if we decide to buy it, it is apparent that we need a bigger truck. We want to be safe if we do this. Thank you all for sharing your advice.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #11

I definitely would not tow a Creekside 27BHS with an F150. Although the truck is advertised as being able to tow 11,000+ lbs that is not the issue - you have plenty of power there. You will almost certainly blow your payload limit. You will also almost certainly blow your rear gross axle weight rating.

I had 2013 F150 EcoBoost with the max tow package and 1700 lbs of payload capacity. I was pulling a Jayco 19RD. It was reasonably comfortable but when semis passed I could feel it. If I was pulling a 27BHS I would be very concerned about the trailer sway with such a light truck. I would definitely get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull a Creekside 27BHS or get a smaller/lighter trailer. It is not worth putting your family at risk driving overloaded and worse, if you were to be in an accident when overloaded, your insurance company may walk. If you hurt someone you could be into a big lawsuit with no liability insurance to cover you.

Good luck.
CReitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
HR4

Thanks for the reply CReitsma. We actually just purchased a Ford F250 yesterday with a payload of 3000. We really liked the Creekside 27BHS so decided to go ahead and purchase one and get a TV that could handle it. I think with that payload capacity we should be ok now. We will make sure we get the proper hitch set up as well. Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #13

Good call to go with the bigger truck. A F-250 will weigh approx. 2,000 lbs. more than a F-150. Those 2,000 lbs. are caused by larger every thing from brakes to frame to springs to hitch rating etc.etc. The 3/4 ton truck will handle the trailer much better than the smaller, lighter F-150....again, good call.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
HR4

Thanks! We are excited and wanted to be safe. Should have new trailer next week and be all set up.

Tags
tow