Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Water flowing out of fresh water tank

We connected to city water with a hose and turned the water on (as usual). We had the fresh water tank at about 2/3 full. We left on an excursion for about 3 hours.
Upon returning, we had water flowing OUT of the fresh water fill spout. The cap on the fill spout had a hole for ventilation and the pressure wasn't much, BUT water was flowing out at a steady rate.
We finished our travels using the fresh water holding tank and pump.
The dealer couldn't find anything wrong.
Any ideas why we have water coming out the fill spout?????
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The valve that you turn one way for city water/ one way for tank fill, is either not in the right position, or leaking past it? Or the check valve in the demand water pump is not doing it job and letting water past and into your fresh tank!
Check and or replace! Good idea to shut off city water when you leave the MH! Rail!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, the check valve on the pump is prolly clogged. ORV replaced mine, but you can also take it apart and clean it out. And once, when it happened again, a drive to the next campsite somehow dislodged whatever was clogging it.

Although we never had the tank fill up as fast as you did ...

Sometimes we just use the hose to fill up the tank and use the pump all the time anyway. Depends upon my mood I guess.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes you can clear it by cycling the water pump with the city water hooked up and flowing as well.

Other than that, easy to take apart and clean the pump diaphragm.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks all----I'll tear the pump apart. It's still under warrantee, but I don't want to go to a dealer for service if I can help it.
I have to add--we spent over three weeks in the trailer and were really happy with it (other then the tank issue). Our previous rig would have required almost daily fixings, and it was under two years old.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did you try hooking up to city water at the same time you turned the pump on and off? You can also keep the pump on along with city water and the extra pressure sometimes will flush out whatever is trapped there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wouldn't go to the "extreme" of tearing the pump apart. Most of the time some small piece of junk can be flushed out just by running the pump without any city water pressure. You could also, if you have an air compressor, blow through the pump through the winterization hose. Either way has worked me a couple of times with our trailer, and past trailers.

Maybe go to the work of checking the filter attached to the pump. How old is the trailer?? If new, something may have hit the pump diaphragms from the filter after construction. OR, I've found that hard water can leave sediment in the diaphragms when it dries out. Just a couple of thoughts to make the fix somewhat easy!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #8

Hooked up to city water and turning pump on WILL NOT do much of anything

Pump can NOT start unless city water pressure drops below pump start pressure set point.
IF pump does start then city water can not flow because pump discharge pressure will be higher and the city water inlet check valve will close

If city water supply pressure is higher then pump start pressure set point pump will not start/run

When pump check valve doesn't close then running /using pump will sometimes clear the check valve of debris and allow it to close when pump shuts off.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
mt2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Woke up this morning and found water leaking out our fresh water tank vent. Since we are newbies, my first thought was to post a question on this forum. Logged in and like magic, the answer was on the first page! This forum is a fantastic resource for all of us rookies, thanks to all of you that share your experience and advice! BIG THANK YOU!
Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours does this several times a season. Hard water issue.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water