Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have the extended shank to match the higher ride height of the ORV trailer with the 1000# spring bars. It is worth mentioning that the extended shank precludes dropping the tailgate while the hitchhead is in the receiver, and that is a negative. I have the standard StrapTek brackets that bolt on.
I went with the #1200 Reese Trunnion Bars for our ORV Timber Ridge. I have the same issue Modest Monk as I also had to get a larger / taller shank, which will not let me drop my Tundra's tailgate. I also had to get the Firestone RideRite air bags. About 30-35 lbs. of air in the bags and I'm perfectly level. I think with the air bags, that affords me more hitch jack lifting distance, which in turn makes it much easier to pop the trunnion spring bars on.

I have measured the truck and trailer a number of times at level rest stops to see I'm running perfectly level. I have a thought in the back of my mine where if I add another 10-15 lbs in the air bags to gain an inch of height, can I how lower the hitch ball one hole (1") and gain the clearance to lower the tailgate without removing the hitch. I don't want to mess up my set-up as I have it....I'll have to think about it more...

If you look at "other" RV trailers in the same length, there is a big difference in floor / frame height. If ORV went with smaller tires and lighter weight frames, they would not sit as high at the hitch. Also I believe the way the "A" frame front part of the hitch is constructed / welded to the frame rails, is different than many Indiana built RV trailers frames. Sure glad I had a "beefy" suspension for our just completed trip to Acadia NP. and New Brunswick. There were a few sections of road that were just plain BAD !!!! GO.... X4 Suspension !!!!!

Monk...while in Yellowstone we had some cell service in the lower section of the Old Faithful parking lot by the bike path.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I find the Blue Ox has excellent sway control. I pulled in high winds this past weekend. Way better than the equalizer with sway bar that I used before.
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Having the old round bar and friction sway I am looking to getting a BO at the RV show.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Rather than starting another WDH thread I thought I'd jump in here with a question. I don't see anyone with an Anderson WDH. On other forums there are people who say they are great. Anyone use them or consider them and not? Thanks
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Rather than starting another WDH thread I thought I'd jump in here with a question. I don't see anyone with an Anderson WDH. On other forums there are people who say they are great. Anyone use them or consider them and not? Thanks
I don't have one, but have heard elsewhere that they are fine up to maybe 750# tongue weight. Above that they cannot lift enough weight off the truck's rear axle. And pretty much all ORV trailers are over 750# TW.

However if you have a heavy enough truck (1 ton?) and don't need weight distribution, but do want some sway control, they might do that. Have heard of some folks using them like that.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been running an Andersen for the last four years. 1st year on a 2500 and the last year on a 3500. Our trailer is a 2015 Timber Ridge 26RLS. I estimate the tongue weight at 1200lbs give or take depending on water load. I got the Andersen because our trailer porpoised badly and DW was not happy. I spoke to a number of people on the forum and found one running the same trailer so I could compare apples to apples so to speak. He was very helpful and let me know of the problems he encountered with the setup so I didn’t have the same issues. We have travelled between 25 to 30k km over the last 3 years including travelling to Alaska and back this past summer. I’m happy with the Andersen. I like the fact I can carry the hitch head easily and it has virtually eliminated the porposing of the trailer. I was really impressed with the after sales support from the factory this past summer. The only thing I don’t like is I found it a PITA to hookup after disconnecting if the truck and trailer weren’t straight. After all the practice this summer I pretty much got that figured out. Would I buy one again? Yup. I’m happy with it. As far a weight transfer, when I spoke to Andersen they told me they had received complaints from people pulling long heavy trailers with light trucks.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Wouldn't trade my Andersen for any of the other hitch options I know of. Note comments from actual owners/users of the hitch ... Especially those who have a long history of using other hitch styles!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Weight Distribution Hitch Recommendations?

Quote:

I had one on my escape from CA last year, my sis driving after my stroke. I liked it and the big bumps on CA99 that cut my brake lines, never really affected my driving. I white knuckled the thing without the Wdh with a race car in it from MO to Nor Cal, then a thousand lbs with the Andersen more to leave. 5500# Yukon pulling a 23 ft Utility enclosed with 7800#. So I could tell the difference. I would have liked a little more air in the rear, maybe bags?

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #23

I have the 1400 Equalizer per recommendations here. I was seriously considering the Anderson but saw enough negative comments to scare me. I now wish I had given it a try and I am not in love with the Equalizer.

The Equalizer is a very heavy setup, and does tow very well and anti sway is very good. Just been fighting with the tuning and the noise. Wife hates all of the noise. I have added the pads, and that helps. I am debating welding the bar supports as they do move around and make some of the noise. (Someone had a Gopro on their hitch while turning, amazing to see how much the mounts move around.) The kicker for me is the weight of the head. It is heavy enough to hurt my back. (My back is not what it used to be.)

The other issue I have is the rear water tank on my 25RDS. It seems to be enough weight back there to throw off the WDH, and the Equalizer is not easy to fine tune.

I think the Anderson could address all of these issues. I have spotted a few at campgrounds on larger trailers. Owners have seemed pretty happy with them.
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just got our 24RKS and selected the Recurve 6 after considering the Anderson hitch. The price was better for the Anderson, but out TT dealer didn't carry the Anderson. So far we really like the Recurve design and functionality.
haythrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm putting a plug for Gen-Y Hitch here. Make them as heavy duty as you want. I like mine. Very versatile. They have lots of options for you. Mines a 1400# tongue weight 21,000# total. Adjustable sway bar/weight distribution. I can jacknife this thing without unhooking. I'll try and attach a pic but they are apparently to large for this site and I don't know how to make them smaller or compress them.

It worked lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_085922.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	225755  
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Wow Jim, quite the shank contraption! Remove and install that every couple days as we travel from place to place ... hum ... no, not me!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shanks large because of my lift. That doesn't change the weight distribution/sway bar side that works well. It's simple. If you want something that works, here's an option.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
I'm putting a plug for Gen-Y Hitch here. Make them as heavy duty as you want. I like mine. Very versatile. They have lots of options for you. Mines a 1400# tongue weight 21,000# total. Adjustable sway bar/weight distribution. I can jacknife this thing without unhooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
Shanks large because of my lift. That doesn't change the weight distribution/sway bar side that works well. It's simple. If you want something that works, here's an option.
But Jim ... isn't your hitch side of things a Fastway e2? ... a lower cost, 2 point design, similar to Equal-i-zer's 4 point. And don't e2 round bent bar end versions max at 1Klb and 10Klb total?

Tags
weight