RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch Recommendations?

We have a Camco Recurve R3 weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control, and we are considering replacing it. Our trailer's listed GVWR is 8900 pounds, but we recently upgraded our leaf springs and our suspension, so we are able to carry another 1,000 pounds.

We are considering going up to a 12,000 pound hitch -- any thoughts about that?

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a new hitch; we are considering the Equal-i-zer and the Recurve R6, but I have also heard good things about the Blue Ox.

Thanks in advance!

GoldenGait is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I had this same decision to make and asked the forum, the results were just about 50/50 between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. The Blue Ox was supposed to be quieter and that became the deciding factor, after considering that the costs were relatively the same.

After the Dealer installed the Blue Ox incorrectly, and then learning that the trailer had to be raised to max height to load the chain on the cams, I found a better solution. The chain load was physically demanding and in my opinion risked physical injury when removing the chain. So I ordered a set of StrapTek’s. Now the install or removal takes seconds and dramatically reduces the injury risk.

Final comparison:

Equalizer: noisy but less expensive.

BlueOx with StrapTek: Simple, safer than chains, quieter, but more $.

Every time I hear a trailer pull into a gas station or a park, I’m glad I don’t hear that Equalizer friction bar complaining. We’ve put 13,000 miles on the Blue Ox btw.

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have an Equal-I-Zer 1400 with a Curt 2.5" shank.

It has worked well for the last 40K? miles. It's simple and will prolly last forever.

It does make some noise but that doesn't bother us.

It's heavy especially with the 2.5" shank.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
When I had this same decision to make and asked the forum, the results were just about 50/50 between the Equalizer and the Blue Ox. The Blue Ox was supposed to be quieter and that became the deciding factor, after considering that the costs were relatively the same.

After the Dealer installed the Blue Ox incorrectly, and then learning that the trailer had to be raised to max height to load the chain on the cams, I found a better solution. The chain load was physically demanding and in my opinion risked physical injury when removing the chain. So I ordered a set of StrapTekís. Now the install or removal takes seconds and dramatically reduces the injury risk.

Final comparison:

Every time I hear a trailer pull into a gas station or a park, Iím glad I donít hear that Equalizer friction bar complaining. Weíve put 13,000 miles on the Blue Ox btw.
What size sway bars and which size blue ox hitch-head (how many holes)? Do you use the standard brackets or the clamp around brackets?
wfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
We have an Equal-I-Zer 1400 with a Curt 2.5" shank.

It has worked well for the last 40K? miles. It's simple and will prolly last forever.

It does make some noise but that doesn't bother us.

It's heavy especially with the 2.5" shank.
Ditto, except that we have the 2" shank (which is still plenty heavy). It just works extremely well, and we have no issues with noise. I keep the ball and the friction bar socket hinge points lightly lubed and while the friction bars can make some noise in tight maneuvering, it's not a problem for us.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfred View Post
What size sway bars and which size blue ox hitch-head (how many holes)? Do you use the standard brackets or the clamp around brackets?
I have the extended shank to match the higher ride height of the ORV trailer with the 1000# spring bars. It is worth mentioning that the extended shank precludes dropping the tailgate while the hitchhead is in the receiver, and that is a negative. I have the standard StrapTek brackets that bolt on.

To the OP they have a set of 1500#’s springs, make sure your receiver is rated for 1500 tongue weight also.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're on our second Equilizer hitch. The current one is 12,000 lbs. We've never had any issues with these. They are noisy, but we just ordered the pads and hope they help with the noise. Hey, with a Equilizer, you never need to use yer horn!
Seriously, we've crashed an entire rig when using a cheap hitch/sway bar set up.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
FWIW, we have a Blue Ox sway-pro. We find it very easy to set-up/take-off. It's far superior to others we've used. Superior control in wind.
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post

After the Dealer installed the Blue Ox incorrectly, and then learning that the trailer had to be raised to max height to load the chain on the cams, I found a better solution. The chain load was physically demanding and in my opinion risked physical injury when removing the chain. So I ordered a set of StrapTekís. Now the install or removal takes seconds and dramatically reduces the injury risk.

Final comparison:

Every time I hear a trailer pull into a gas station or a park, Iím glad I donít hear that Equalizer friction bar complaining. Weíve put 13,000 miles on the Blue Ox btw.
Hey MM - what's the dimensions of the bolt on Straptek ratcheting mechanism? And who did you procure the units from? Any quality issues as noted on some of the other posts?

I'm not fond raising/lowering TV/TT combo to get blue ox bars on a bit bothersome and at times unlatching pressure on one side gets a tad high...

Always looking to make life easier....

Any info would be helpful!

James
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

I have had both. The Equalizer was much easier for me to use and the sound can be minimized with pads as someone else said. The EQ system is dead simple but you canít increase or decrease the capacity by changing bars. You have to buy a new hitch.

The bars on the Blue Ox can be very hard to engage with chains even with the trailer at max height. There is no adjustment for pitch on the ball, it is fixed. There are pins that wear out in time that are easily replaced. I didnít want to spend more money on a hitch that was already too expensive, so I didnít try the StrapTech system.

When we traded up to a Class A, I included the BO with the trailer. If I ever need a hitch again, it will be the EQ system. Be careful that you donít get too much hitch or it could make for a very rough ride.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For those with the Blu Ox,,, do you feel the system actually controls sway? Also, with the BO chains and the ratchet system you can't tighten them up without lifting the tongue?
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfred View Post
Sorry for the tardiness no real cell service for almost a month.

Sway bars and receiver were sized based on TW. We needed the 9 hole shank, to match up with the height of the ORV.

https://www.lci1.com/straptek

I used the bolt on brackets, they could be welded.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedhoff View Post
Hey MM - what's the dimensions of the bolt on Straptek ratcheting mechanism? And who did you procure the units from? Any quality issues as noted on some of the other posts?

I'm not fond raising/lowering TV/TT combo to get blue ox bars on a bit bothersome and at times unlatching pressure on one side gets a tad high...

Always looking to make life easier....

Any info would be helpful!

James
There is no latching of unlatching pressure to speak of. I love the ease, I don’t love the total cost.
https://www.lci1.com/straptek I believe I got them from eTrailer. I’m not sure what quality issue are you speaking of?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
For those with the Blu Ox,,, do you feel the system actually controls sway? Also, with the BO chains and the ratchet system you can't tighten them up without lifting the tongue?
With the chains I needed to crank the tongue to max height, not with the ratchet. No lifting, where ever it is, the ratchet will draw it in to a pre marked tightness. Plain and simple. The crazy winds (Tropical Storm Rosa)and speed, 80 mph that the traffic was whipping by me yesterday would affirm the anti sway control, we were at a fairly constant 62mph except on the grades.

Tags
weight