RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
looks like something was mounted there - maybe a poor attempt at a solar install - maybe they did not use brackets and put the panel directly on the roof - that could account for the discoloration and rippling from the heat. Not sure about the long strips of caulk - maybe holding wires down.

If this owner did not do this and the dealer did not do it. Then this was a used trailer when sold to the current owner.

I would demand to see the paper trail on this unit - perhaps call the factory with the VIN and see what they know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I were the o.p. I'd look closely at the area inside the rig to see if there's any clue to why the patch is there and to verify no water damage. If no correlation- I don't think I'd try to do any more digging to find out what might have happened (I don't think you'll get much cooperation). You'll probably find out a lot more by removing the material to see what's there...then do a proper repair with a sheet of Eternabond and sealant.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the seller doesn't really help you find out exactly what this repair is all about and you really can't find why, then you have a decision to make. Hold enough out of the purchase to do the repair correctly. Somebody knows what that is all about.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #18

is it possible this unit originally had an absorption fridge, and was changed out to a residential one?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #19

Well I’m going to pass on this one. Too many unanswered questions. Seller is taking ad down and will take back to original dealer to see if he can figure out what happened...back to the search. Makes me lean towards buying a new one just to know I’m starting out right anyway.
Jefrobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They put the reefer opening in the wrong place!!

I doubt if ORV did that fix. Too amateurish.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 23RBS and that looks to be above the closet in the bathroom. You can see the fridge vent ahead of the patch and if you look at the shadow on the wall next to the trailer you can see the dinette skylight bubble which should be just out of frame to the right. The furnace is under the fridge with the water heater under the floor of the closet which is just to the left of the fridge, exactly where the patch is. No reason for the patch unless someone wanted natural light in the closet, lol.

Directly on the other side is a skylight for the shower, perhaps it was cut in at the factory in the wrong place but I find it hard to believe it would have made it to a dealers lot in that condition.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't believe this was any kind of factory error - a cutout in the wrong place on plywood would have been caught before the rubber roofing was applied and plugged or replaced.

The factory puts down the rubber membrane as one piece and then makes X cuts to open up any cutouts in the plywood.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's either the seller or his dealer. One of them know. That is not a factory repair. It doesn't have to be a deal killer unless a patch on the roof is. It doesn't look like solar, probably is a fridge. You said he lived in it for a while. Do a close inspection inside. Then either buy it or move on.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My guess that it was a flexible solar panel that was put down on the roof with some adhesive. When it was removed it did damage to the roof.
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like the dealer hit a beam in the repair shop and repaired it. Nothing "shady" to me.... I'd take it but some folks are looking for perfection. Cosmetic repairs on moho's are dime a dozen, I wouldn't discount the price as long as there is no damage to the interior ceiling.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #26

If the price is cheaper than other comparable non damaged units then I'd jump on it. Like mentioned above I'd definitely look at the interior ceiling where the patch is. Only concerns are the two long strips of caulking. Are those from tears in the roof material?
Either way I'd remove all that patch stuff, repair it with a good 3/8" plywood patch that was flush to the rest of the roof. Then go over the patched roof area with a new membrane and Eternabond the edge of the new membrane. Couple $100 worth of materials at most and a days worth of work.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If the price is cheaper than other comparable non damaged units then I'd jump on it. Like mentioned above I'd definitely look at the interior ceiling where the patch is. Only concerns are the two long strips of caulking. Are those from tears in the roof material?
Either way I'd remove all that patch stuff, repair it with a good 3/8" plywood patch that was flush to the rest of the roof. Then go over the patched roof area with a new membrane and Eternabond the edge of the new membrane. Couple $100 worth of materials at most and a days worth of work.
Good point on the etrnabond tape. I'd use roofing tape available at local hardware store and just go right over the caulking. I'd only pull the caulk off if the plywood felt soft or broken. Looks to me to be just a roofing material damage but you'd have to feel it to diagnose it.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If ya buy this thing, fix it right, for the last time.

Tags
air, repair