Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

What is this? Repair or?

https://imgur.com/a/YtOs9bZ

I came close to buying this pristine 2018 23RBS. Guy bought it brand new in late 2017, stored it for 18 months and then used it to sleep in for a few weeks while building his new shop. I noticed a minor repair on the left side rear upper light, and asked him to climb up and make sure there was no damage. He took a pic of this. Looks like a repair or something. He said the dealer had said nothing to him about this when he purchased. So what is it? A repair from a lot collision or is it prep for a solar panel that didn’t get installed? Seems like a mystery at this point. The guy is a retired engineer, seems like a pretty good guy and he is pretty hot thinking the dealer pulled something over him on this purchase. Thoughts?
Jefrobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #2

It almost looks like they cut a hole in the wrong place. Something like what is mounted to the right of the repair. Would not let thiss deter me rom purchase if price right . Can be repaired professionly
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #3

The rest of the trailer is basically brand new. Furnace, ac, toilet etc have never been used. If this had happened at factory, would they have shipped to dealer for sale? How would it be repaired differently than it is now? I don’t think it’s going to leak as it is. Just never saw anything like it...
Old 11-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

By biggest concern woul be if they cut all the way through the roof ( probably did) how solid is the repair under the rubber. The long skinny patches on either side of the main repair looks very odd. Perhaps there was just a tear in the roof and a big hunk in the middle that had to be spliced in. You need to get on the roof yourself and carefully feel around the patch.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
I would talk to the folks who did the original repair. What happened? Why was the repair needed? What was involved in the repair? I would proceed very cautiously.

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
I would talk to the folks who did the original repair. What happened? Why was the repair needed? What was involved in the repair? I would proceed very cautiously.

Good luck!

Bob
Supposedly this came right from the dealer, who didn’t disclose the repair to the owner buying what he thought was a brand new trailer. Looks like instead of me buying it at this point that he will take it back to the dealer to try and find out what the heck was going on. I’m not sure the dealer will remember or even have records at this point
Old 11-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't want to sound negative---BUT, It's not a very professional looking repair. Maybe some Eternabond would work?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrobie View Post
Supposedly this came right from the dealer, who didn’t disclose the repair to the owner buying what he thought was a brand new trailer. Looks like instead of me buying it at this point that he will take it back to the dealer to try and find out what the heck was going on. I’m not sure the dealer will remember or even have records at this point
That sounds like a good plan. I would challenge the dealer for selling this trailer as "new" without disclosing this repair. And surely the person who made that "repair" will remember doing it. It looks pretty unforgettable to me!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
NXR

Ask to see his purchase contract. At worst he'll say no. At best you may find it was disclosed and he actually bought it at a bargain price because of that repair.

Or he bought it as-is, in which case I'd consider passing unless a pro evaluated it for me, inside and out.

If he declines to show the contract or "can't find it" ask him if he will give the selling dealer permission to discuss the purchase with you. They'll have a copy.

This kind of smells because of the seal inspection requirements. If he did not know about the roof, be certain to ask about seal inspection and maintenance. (The selling dealer could have done the seal work, of course .)

Ray
Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
looks like a solar panel was there then patch when removed
Old 11-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #11

I wonder if there was roof damage from a tree branch or? It looks like the roof was torn where the long strips of caulking are.

Is that where a skylight should be?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Seller could easily claim that they didn't know.....they are trying to sell it.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No way that was solar. Should only be 4 holes from brackets not a big area like that.

I would be cautious.......
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is right above the bathroom closet. Is there any access or issues in the closet ceiling?

Tags
air, repair