Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Whoo hoo!

We are getting ready to purchase our first TT. Upgrading from a pop-up. 250RKS. Unit is used by 1 year, only 3 trips on it. Wondering if your collective knowledge could give us some walk through items to look at? Also, feeling on purchasing an extended warranty (I know there are many mixed feelings on this from more experienced). Really, any wise words be appreciated and ruminated. We will be pulling with a 2003 Excursion with blocks vs airbags. 3/4 ton. Annnnnnd GO!
Lissaboillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the ORV owners part of IRV2. Lots of good PM inspection lists on this forum with a search. Take your time doing it. Believe nothing the salesman says without testing. Make sure every little thing works. Inspect every square inch inside and outside, roof. Then ENJOY!!!
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

My in laws have the TR 250RKS and love it.

As far as doing a walk through, touch everything, turn on everything, flush, run and when you are done do it again. Go outside and do the same outside, crawl underneath and look for repairs done to the under belly, meaning they cut through the choroplast to fix something and they just glue the piece back on. Look at the tires for any uneven wear. If you are familiar with tailers this should be easy but if not I recommend finding some one to go with you.

I like to buy extended warranties for my piece of mind but that is my preference.

Best of luck.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissaboillot View Post
We will be pulling with a 2003 Excursion with blocks vs airbags. 3/4 ton. Annnnnnd GO!
I have no doubt that your Excursion will be physically up for the task. If being legal with your weight is important, you may want to investigate a little more. I would focus on the Cargo Carrying Capacity or CCC of your Excursion. This CCC would includes all passengers, fuel and gear, plus the loaded tongue weight of your trailer. The trailer alone might add as much as 1500 lbs or more.

Just some food for thought. Congrats on your new trailer and have fun.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congratulations! Those are very nice trailers. Should be a good match for the Excursion. Look everywhere for signs of any water intrusion. Have them show you all the inspection panels and pull them so you can look behind them. Familiarise yourself with the winterizing valves. Have them pull all the drawers out so you can look behind EVERYTHING!

They build a great trailer but stuff happens. Definitely get up on the roof and look over every seam and seal, feel for soft spots.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm out of my normal area here, but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding warranty: considering a refrigerator costs close to $1400, I bought a warranty with ours. One repair will pay for it.

Like others said. Inspect and inspect again. Don't believe the guy that does the walk through with you. Get up on the roof, run the AC and furnace. Make sure all electrical works, including the 12 volt charger/converter. Check for leaks, water damage along walls and carpeting.

Try and find out why they traded it. 3 trips is suspicious to me. Just saying.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't let the "weight police" worry you aboot your EX towing a 250RKS, we pull a 280RKS with our '03 EX V10. Been on 8000 ft passes, ups and downs and never a problem. It won't race a "Dog" diesel up those hills, but isn't far behind!!! Is yours gas or diesel?? Do you know what axle ratios are in the EX?

As to the "PDI", (even on a used trailer) do what has already been stated: try to check everything for operation. Run both slides in and out a couple of times to see if any extra noise or binding. Check any wiring and gas and water plumbing that may be under the kitchen slide for any hang ups. Look in all cabinets for anything left unfinished or loose. Don't be surprised at the "crap" inside the cabinets, that's a normal, no extra charge item that keeps showing up for many years!!! There are lots of on-line check lists to use. If buying from an ORV dealer ask for a copy of the ORV delivery checklist that the dealers use and send or keep for the mfg. Take that, look over for anything you might not think of and double check all that you feel necc, if not all of them!! AND, take your time, don't let them rush you through the PDI!!!

Welcome to the ORV crowd!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #9

We were told they traded up for A Class.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Tuquala;3998081]Don't let the "weight police" worry you aboot your EX towing a 250RKS, we pull a 280RKS with our '03 EX V10. Been on 8000 ft passes, ups and downs and never a problem. It won't race a "Dog" diesel up those hills, but isn't far behind!!! Is yours gas or diesel?? Do you know what axle ratios are in the EX?

We are gas. 3.73 axle ratio.
Husband was smiling when I told him you've pulled up the passes!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #11

Thanks to all of you that so quickly responded. Wonderful information! I found the file for a PDI and have that in hand now. Tomorrow is the big day.....one more sleep!!

I am sure you will be hearing more from us. Your a treasure chest of information and I feel super blessed I found you all!

Best,

Lissa