Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Wife plugged in electric heater-now 2 outlets don't work

My wife is constantly cold. Heated seats on in summer, heated blankets, etc. This morning I left the new Creekside 23DBS and my wife plugged in the 1200 watt max electric heater into the dinette outlet and the outlet stopped working. One outlet next to the bed also stopped working. These 2 outlets are not gfci outlets.

I've tried resetting the gfci in the bathroom, checked every breaker, checked the fuses, plugged and unplugged from shore power, reset 30 amp breaker on shore power.

We used this heater in our last trailer with no issues. Nothing else was on in the new trailer but the fridge and one led light when the outlet stopped working.

Any ideas on what else to check?
interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Any other GCFI outlets...Kitchen and/or outside compartments

Otherwise you will need to open up outlet and test for AC power to/at outlet.....they daisy chain from one outlet to next but the wiring inside outlets is poorly done. Typically just 'V' clip/notches for wire connections. They come loose or thin metal strips can burn/melt

Course not always obvious which one is first in daisy chain.....good luck

(sorta like a blind scavenger hunt)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Its going to be something simple like a GCFI. Check the one on the outdoor plug.
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generally a single GFCI protects more than just two outlets.

As a previous poster stated, all outlets are daisy chained, starting from the breaker panel.

With all of the AC power removed....shore disconnected, inverter off, you should check the nearest working outlet on the same wall (one that is between the breaker panel and the bad outlet.

You can get a wire tracer from HD or Lowes (about $25).
This puts a signal on the wire, and you have a hand-held receiver that you move close to each wire to see which one has the signal.

The most likely cause of your problem is a bad connection where the wire comes out of the last working outlet....it is likely burnt/melted since the heater was the cause.

Good luck,

Dan
Old 09-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick responses. I can only find the GFCI in the bathroom, so I guess that is the only one I have. All of the outlets connected to the GFCI have a white sticker on them, so that all adds up.

I'm going to hit a lowes on the way home from camping and pick up one of those tracers. That has to be the issue. I was just wondering if it was something silly I could fix while out camping.

Worst case I will take it back to dealer for warranty work.

Thanks again all.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check to see if the button CB's on your Inverter may have popped. That is if you have an Inverter. Remember that your Inverter goes into bypass mode when not inverting.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Check to see if the button CB's on your Inverter may have popped. That is if you have an Inverter. Remember that your Inverter goes into bypass mode when not inverting.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

10 to 1....the above is your problem. Look at your inverter. You will find probably two push button type of circuit breakers on it and one of them is tripped. Very common problem and everyone always jumps on the GCFI outlets!

Ron

PS... plus it would really help if you let us know what kind of rv you have. There is provisions for you signature where you can list that type of info. See my signature below.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gfci
Breaker for that circuit
Breaker on the inverter
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

You may have blown a fuse or breaker in the subpanel if your unit has one. Try the other suggestions FIRST if no success call ORV and ask them if you have a sub panel and then look there as another possible source. I have one in my unit but you may not. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Because this is a OutdoorsRV owners forum, I am going to assume you have one of their trailers. Before you go really tearing into it I would check every fuse with an ohm meter and turn every breaker all the way off then back on. If there is no change, on tuesday call the factory and tell the service department what happened and what you have done. Then let us know how things are going.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

Sorry, as I put in the first post I have a Creekside 23DBS. I neglected to say it is a 2017 and on its second camping trip.

I took the panel apart and got to the inverter, but couldn't find any type of reset switches.

I've now noticed my Norcold refrigerator is set to auto and I'm hooked to 30 amp, but my fridge gas light is on and is running on gas only. That, combined with a toilet seal that won't hold water after a couple hours after a good washing and some olive oil, and an awning that won't retract tight in the rear, means my Creekside will be going back to the dealer anyway.

Thank you all for all the advice. I look forward to helping others out in the future.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I missed the Creekside, my bad. So now take pictures of everything and send them along with notes to your dealer and the service department at ORV. This is just to keep everyone on the same page and let the factory know of things they need to keep an eye on. It will also be handy to have if things go south at the dealer and the dealer knows that the factory knows. Sleep easy, it will get fixed.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #13

Check for a little black box adjacent to your inverter, or on the actual inverter itself. The inverter has to have a breaker somewhere. I did the same thing using a shop vac, tripped the inverter breaker and had several outlets that did not work. After resetting that breaker everything worked as it should.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Your fridge circuit and tv circuit may be on the same breaker in your main panel (fairly common). If your fridge won't run on auto I suspect your wife used a plug on that circuit, since your fridge needs 30 amps to operate on shore power alone and it currently won't. Are you sure your inverter is turned off and not further draining your batteries? I only use gas when operating my solar which is most of the time but I'm sure my setup is different than yours. You will have a breaker or reset of some sort on or in line with your inverter to isolate it from your batteries and possibly one to isolate it from your solar panels. This may help you find the issue. Your circuit may be broken somewhere in this path and your controller may have an internal auto reset transfer too to keep you from draining/ damaging batteries. If your inverters on and your plugged into shore power it can cause issues. Most are set up to run one or the other or they set off protection circuits. Good luck

I'm shooting in the dark here but hopefully this may help you.

Tags
heat, heater