Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

1995 Rexair SL3300?

I had not heard of this RV and was not actually looking for a class A, but came across this unit online and am intrigued.

from the vin it looks like it is a Ford F53 V8 7.5L?
What is the reliability of this chassis? Unit is 31'6"

I haven't been able to find a spec sheet with weights, floorplans or standard options.

From the photos, it looks like it is a nicely fitted well taken care of unit.

Any opinions or observations would be welcomed.
Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Sorry, I need to correct that the model is the Rexair SL3000
Old 04-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingknitter View Post
I had not heard of this RV and was not actually looking for a class A, but came across this unit online and am intrigued.

from the vin it looks like it is a Ford F53 V8 7.5L?
What is the reliability of this chassis? Unit is 31'6"

I haven't been able to find a spec sheet with weights, floorplans or standard options.

From the photos, it looks like it is a nicely fitted well taken care of unit.

Any opinions or observations would be welcomed.
Thank you
The 7.5 is the Ford 460 C.I.D. Good reliable engine. Rexhall coaches are very well built. Most accessories were off the shelf standard items. Get a good mechanic to do a prebuy inspection. A few bucks now may save bucks and heartaches down the road.
Ours is a 1996 36' RollsAir w/slide.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Thank you, for responding AJpaero. I googled your model's floorplan, very roomy interior with the slide.

We just got back from looking at it. The dealership is still going thru it. We were able to do a walk thru. The previous owner(s) took very good care of the interior/exterior. Just normal wear and tear on couch and easy chair, as in discoloration but cushions felt good on sofa. Cockpit chairs were in good shape from what I could see. Interior dated but everything looked usable.

They are going to call us after they have gone thru all systems etc. (it was a recent trade-in) for a test drive. Lots to think about!

I've been looking at small class C's and possibly a slightly bigger trailer, mainly a change that accommodates 4 people and a dog but still has small footprint for parking where we like to go.

Yes, an independent RV Mechanic inspection would happen before purchasing.

I won't get ahead of myself, must take a test drive before ruling out. It may not be viable if I don't like driving it.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

Be sure to check for leaks of any kind - roof, bathroom, fridge, sinks, etc. Water problems, as you know, can be real issues.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mileage? Check brakes all around. Tend to freeze up if not properly cared for . new calibers pads hoses etc. Check maintenance records carefully. Dealers tend to not give them out until you buy. Insist if nessasary.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the response Russ. mileage is in the 62,000 range. It may have been under cover or garaged, the exterior is in excellent shape. Overall the PO seemed to have cared for it well, just by the way the interior looks as well.

Gail & Bob - I'm also researching and compiling a list of weaknesses in the Ford F53 7.5 V8. what does the 460 CID mean? haven't been able to find and more familiar with Chevy

compiled list so far: Break system
Exhaust Manifold
Luggage doors - seals? signs of water infiltration
Tires

We will call the dealer tomorrow to let them know that when it is ready for a more thorough inspection, we would be interested. (As well as a test drive, never having driven one of these before)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingknitter View Post
Thanks for the response Russ. mileage is in the 62,000 range. It may have been under cover or garaged, the exterior is in excellent shape. Overall the PO seemed to have cared for it well, just by the way the interior looks as well.

Gail & Bob - I'm also researching and compiling a list of weaknesses in the Ford F53 7.5 V8. what does the 460 CID mean? haven't been able to find and more familiar with Chevy

compiled list so far: Break system
Exhaust Manifold
Luggage doors - seals? signs of water infiltration
Tires

We will call the dealer tomorrow to let them know that when it is ready for a more thorough inspection, we would be interested. (As well as a test drive, never having driven one of these before)
The 460 CID was Fords racing engine back in the 70's. Abt 400 HP. Due to regs it has been derated over the years until in your case it is abt 245 HP. Pretty much a bullet proof engine. Your tranny will be the E4OD. Make sure you get a tranny flush and filter. Tires should be OK. Dealer can't legally sell unit with out of date tires.
Good luck!!
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

I did some more research, found out a bit more about the SL3000 - had been stored in PO barn, so accounts for nice overall exterior condition. Has aftermarket Banks system.

I test drove it today..mind you, this is the very first time I've driven something this big.. but I didn't like how it handled on the short drive of country lane and freeway. I wasn't expecting the smoothness of the Tahoe but wasn't expecting such a stiff feeling in the steering. Getting to the destination would not be fun for me. (the coach itself is lovely)

Also, their price was way above what I felt comfortable with.

Maybe a 25 ft Rexhall on a newer chevy chassis would be a better ride and fit for us. so I'll still keep my eyes out. Because I loved the overall fit and finish of this coach
Old 04-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Hi campingknitter.

Some comments and speculations. That rig can be a handful first time out. Mine's about the same size.

If you aren't aware, the Banks system is a pricey little upgrade. If the owner of an f53 chassis has gone to that expense, the odds are they may have upgraded some steering/suspension components also. That might explain the "stiff" feeling.

Any motorhome of that age will need a serious examination. Mine had 50k miles on it when I bought it. Within the previous couple of years of my purchase, it had receipts of the following replaced:
Fuel pump
Radiator
Water pump
Brakes
At time of trade in, the dealer discovered the refrigerator needed replacing, plus tires.
None of this is particular to Rexhall. The fuel pump is a much discussed Ford issue of this age.

Keep researching, and also look at the various upgrades that owners do after the purchase. Exhaust and steering are a popular two on older rigs. You just might get lucky and find a nice used one that already has some upgrades installed.

Good luck!
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #11

John USA, your list gives a good idea what could be expected in a model of this year, no matter how well it has been maintained.

Although dealer reiterated that brakes if needed would be done before they let it leave the lot. The power step was giving them problems yesterday, but they said they would fix. It did have Hankook tires, they were replaced before the trade in but I didn't get down and look for tire dates.

I'm glad to have experienced the test drive (good for the process of learning to compare handling and keeping my mind open) I will be more willing to test drive in the future if the condition is good, floorplan to our liking and pricing in my wheelhouse of doable.

Tags
air