Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

91 Airex Crank But No Start Issue...

Greetings all... I have a 1991 Airex (Ford 460)that's been stuck in place(except when I have a buddy pull it) since about a month ago. I was driving fine one minute, after parking for a bit I tried to start it... Cranks but won't start. I replaced the starter, and still no go. When I turn the ignition to the on position, I hear a click from the solenoid. I checked voltage on the solenoid, and I think it said 11.4... The engine won't start even if I spray starting fluid into the intake. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
91airex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

A starter turns the engine to start it, it doesn't make it run.

#1, Check for spark.

#2, Pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor is turning.

#3 See if it has a TFI modual on the side of the distributor. They fail and you get no spark.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

I'll check those 3 things tomorrow, thanks...
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it EFI or carburated?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

EFI...
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #6

Would that make a difference in what my problem could be?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
1st, pull the wire from the coil to distributor cap loose from the cap and put a good sparkplug into the end of the wire and ground it, then crank engine, it should have a blue spark.
2nd, if that's OK, then you need to check for fuel pressure at the rail port, should be @ 35 PSI. If not you may have a plugged fuel filter, on the drivers side frame rail, put on a new one and try to start again. Worst case your fuel pump (in tank), may be shot.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfive View Post
1st, pull the wire from the coil to distributor cap loose from the cap and put a good sparkplug into the end of the wire and ground it, then crank engine, it should have a blue spark.
2nd, if that's OK, then you need to check for fuel pressure at the rail port, should be @ 35 PSI. If not you may have a plugged fuel filter, on the drivers side frame rail, put on a new one and try to start again. Worst case your fuel pump (in tank), may be shot.
There is one more thing to check also. The inertia safety switch. It should be located in the cab, beside the park brake pedal. Has a red button on the top. Check and see if you can push the red button down to reset it. If it popped up for any reason, the fuel pump gets no power. This Ford only device has been the pain to many problems.
rhodgdonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
What have you found so f ar?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

Ok, so I checked for spark, and it does have it, plus the rotor turns under the distributor cap. I happened to get a replacement starter solenoid, and replaced the old one. But before I got the RV, someone disconnected the Ignition switch from the collum so it is hanging... Now for some reason when I slide the switch over the engine won't stop cranking. Now is this because of a bad switch, or is the new solenoid bad? Because of these things popping up, I haven't had a chance to check the fuel pressure at the rails. And the inertia switch is in the pushed down position...
Old 03-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Is it the absolute correct solenoid? and correct connections? It didn't continue cranking until you changed it out, so I suspect something there at this point. The old one worked, put it back in.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #12

Ok, I replaced the solenoid with the correct replacement. No more stuck ignition. But it still won’t start. Just cranks over like it wants to fire up, but doesn’t. I was wondering something which came to mind the other day??? Would turning the distributor to the incorrect timing prevent an engine from starting? A few weeks ago a friend of mine was messing with the distributor. He told me, but didn’t say he actually turned it. Anyhow, that’s where I’m at with this thing...
Old 03-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

Turning the distributer will set the spark timing off. If it was turned enough, it won't start.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #14

How do I go about returning the timing to the correct place in a motorhome? The engine is crammed in tight. I can only get to the top of the engine... using a timing light is almost impossible... any ideas?

Tags
air, no start