RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #1

Advice please - 1997 Rexhall Aerbus 32 widebody

We are close to making a decision to buy a 1997 Rexhall Aerbus 32' widebody with the 454 Chevy engine. It has less than 25,000 miles and appears to be in excellent condition. Before we incur the cost of hiring a certified rv technician and mechanic to survey the unit and getting in too deeply, should we be worried about buying a coach of this vintage? We are long time sailors and we know the challenges of keeping an older sailboat in sound working order, but we don't know much about older class a motorhomes. We will be using the coach to regularly travel between Canada and Mexico with extended periods primarily in Canada and in the USA. Any advice will be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Contigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 1998 Aerbus Xl3200 with no slides on the Chevy chassis. Probably the best driving coach I have ever owned. Also in the six years we owned it, this was the coach that gave us the least problems. That being said, a 21 year old coach with less than 25K on it would make me a little nervous as it has to have been just sitting for a long long time.
I would not take it very far without changing out all fluids, replacing all belts and hoses and, even it they look like new it will probably need all the tires replaced. After that it is just a matter of looking for signs of water intrusion and/or dry rot.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
We had a 1998 Aerbus Xl3200 with no slides on the Chevy chassis. Probably the best driving coach I have ever owned. Also in the six years we owned it, this was the coach that gave us the least problems. That being said, a 21 year old coach with less than 25K on it would make me a little nervous as it has to have been just sitting for a long long time.
I would not take it very far without changing out all fluids, replacing all belts and hoses and, even it they look like new it will probably need all the tires replaced. After that it is just a matter of looking for signs of water intrusion and/or dry rot.
Thank you very much for describing your experience. Your thoughts and opinions are helpful, we really appreciate receiving them. All the best.
Contigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I have a 1996 34' widebody, just about 58,000 miles. Bought it at about 54k, as I recall.

Records showed the following was replaced a couple years before I purchased it:

Radiator
Water pump
Hoses/belts
Rear brake components
Fuel pump

The dealer put in a new fridge when we bought it. Dealer replaced the tires.

I replaced rear sway bushings, as they were shot. I still want to replace the shocks.

I knew I would be doing a lot of mountain driving, so I installed a Derale deep transmission pan, with cooling pipes.

Runs along pretty well.

Make sure and check the cruise control. As I understand it, some of the parts are difficult to come by. Everything else seems to be readily available.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

I have a 97 RexAir, and when I bought it, it had 36K on it four years ago, it now has over 50K.

We've done the usual things to it: Tires, shocks, brakes, fuel pump (in tank), blower fan on chassis AC, new converter (has wizard to keep batteries in good shape) new house batteries, new poly bushings...but nothing major. Everything works. Generator only has 350 hours on it and use it all day long with traveling in this high heat here in the west.

There are no slides so things are pretty simple, which I do like (but honestly..sometimes I wish we had the extra room, even though this is a wide body too).

I honestly can say I would have no issues hopping into it today and driving to Alaska (on my bucket list) or Florida. But, being that it is 21 years old I wouldn't push it. 65 MPH is just fine and if I'm a bit tired, 60's fine! I'm in no rush.

Sure there's things you have to fix as you go along but for what I paid for it I can live with those things.

Overall my confidence is high if I ever get a change to do a big trip like what you're planning in this rig....partially because I 'know' what I've fixed and what I haven't.

To be clear, I have the F53 chassis with the Ford 460.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, aerbus, rexhall