Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Elec problem :(

Man, nolt sure what we did on our 2000 Rexall Aerbus. My wife plugged in a heater and was running a toaster oven and then turned on the Micro wave. She called me and said there was no power. Make a long story short. i came home and figured I would flip the breakers. Nothing! The inverter is working as far as charging batteries and the two A/C's work. But none of the other receptacles. No micro no bedroom area no living room area. All dead.

The breakers though show power coming out of them. Is there something they run into before heading to the receptacles? I just don't get it.

I turn on the generator and the same thing happens. Inverter charging batteries and the A/C's work. Though when I disconnect the shore power and turn on the inverter nothing those receptacles still are not working.

Any ideas? We just sold our house and am on the road for 5 weeks before we can get into our new house. Kind of stressing now.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

GFCI outlet(s) are tripped
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
I can only find one gfci and it wont reset. Getting late now and I will pull off the plate tomorrow and see if power is going to it. It just does not make sense that all the outlets are off. Including refrig and micro wave. I am stumped.
Brianinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #4

1. Most set-ups with a factory inverter use a second "Sub Panel" of circuit breakers to feed the branch circuits that can be inverter powered. Maybe one or more of those is tripped.

2. The inverter often has it's own CB that will trip when overloaded.

3. GFCI usually will not reset unless it has power to it. That points to a fault "upstream" of it.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks Bluepill,

My thoughts exactly on the gfci. I checked the sub panel on the inverter and reset all those breakers. Will volt test them tomorrow.

I once ran across where my volt tester said I was getting proper voltage but the Breaker was bad.

I am wondering if it might be one of the 50 Amp legs that are bad. Even though it says 125 Volts. I guess I am grabbing at straws.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for all the help so far. I have to get some sleep now. Long day with the motorhome. Started out with a leak in a T section of cold water pipe and now this.

When it rains it pours I guess. Will check back in the morning.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shut off breaker to GFI. It should reset, then turn on breakers you should have power. If not, shut off breaker, tighten all connections to GFI. Repeat process. I remember in S& B having to replace some of the GFI outlets every 10 years or sooner. Most often, its the GFI.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks Davdeb1

The problem is not one breaker it is all the 20 amp. I am going to check to see if they are all on the same leg of the 50. If so I am hoping it is a bad Double 50 amp breaker. One leg of it.

I just don't know.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Thinking again. I turned off shore power and out the inverter on and i still did not get power. There is a sub panel by the inverter. Not sure how it is tied into the shore power panel. I am so at a loss about this.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have breakers on the inverter itself, mine has 1 small circuit breaker button.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
Jacwjames,

I do have a reset button on the inverter. It is pushed in. Still no luck. Trying to call someone now. Getting desperate.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
After the breaker the GFI is first in a series of outlets, if it is tripped nothing downstream of it will have power. Try unplugging everything and then try reset GFI. If it doesn't reset then, it is bad or you have a short. good luck
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Okay, you should have a power transfer switch that is controlled by the Power Control Center. The transfer switch will provide power from either the generator or shore power depending what has priority or is sensed. Therefore, it may be possible that the transfer switch is not operating.......why would this happen due to an overload? I don't know. I need to look at a wiring diagram.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
With out confusing the issue, it may also be called an EMU that controls the power transfer switch.