RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Generator Problem

I have a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus 31ft. It has the NP52 Generac generator. I regularly perform all maintenance as required and follow the manual on exercising the generator when it is parked for periods. A couple days ago i was running the generator with a heavy load. It was running great when all of a sudden it just shut down. No warning, sputtering or anything. After allowing it to cool i checked the oil level and the fuel level of the motorhome. All were good. I then attempted to restart the generator and it wont even turn over. When i press wither the start button on the generator or inside the MH there is nothing. I checked the fuse on the front panel of the generator and it was fine. I have no idea how this is wired into the MH but know it wasnt altered from the original installation. SO, anyone else ever have a similar issue or other thoughts? Are there other relays or fuses that may be in the system? I only know of the one on the front panel of the generator. I have checked the breakers on the front panel of the generator and the breakers on the power supply inside the motorhome. Other than that I have no idea where there may be other breakers or fuses that would cause this to happen.
I appreciate any help that you could offer!
__________________

RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,144
Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.
__________________

__________________
1993 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32'
Soppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #3
Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It was the starter solenoid on the generator. Easy fix.
Good luck.
__________________
96 Rexhall RollsAire, 36 ft. w/slide
Ford F53, 460 CI, Banks
150 Watts Solar w/4-12V batteries
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chief Alen's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Manalapan NJ
Posts: 311
Your manual:

https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...c-rv/NP52G.pdf

Page 7 .

Me i would bypass the low oil shutdown.

Check the battery cables ...

You have more then one problem maybe ?

Good news the gen-set you have is almost bullet proof, they do need to be taken care of.
__________________
2018 Newmar Ventana le 4002 .NKK 22567
2015 Unlimited Sahara hardtop/soft top.
Be good,be happy, tomorrow is promised to no man!
Chief Alen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uxbridge, MA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Your manual:

https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...c-rv/NP52G.pdf

Page 7 .

Me i would bypass the low oil shutdown.

Check the battery cables ...

You have more then one problem maybe ?

Good news the gen-set you have is almost bullet proof, they do need to be taken care of.
I second that. I believe that was the issue with my dads original genny
BVTMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.
Thanks Soppy!
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpaero View Post
I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It was the starter solenoid on the generator. Easy fix.
Good luck.
Thank you, I will check it.
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Your manual:

https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...c-rv/NP52G.pdf

Page 7 .

Me i would bypass the low oil shutdown.

Check the battery cables ...

You have more then one problem maybe ?

Good news the gen-set you have is almost bullet proof, they do need to be taken care of.
Thank you! I keep track of the hours and make sure it is serviced and all. I got the MH from my dad and at the time the generator only had about 40 hours on it. The MH only had 25,000 miles on it. I've had it since 2016. Appreciate the help!
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVTMark View Post
I second that. I believe that was the issue with my dads original genny
That helps more! Thank you!
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNau View Post
I have a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus 31ft. It has the NP52 Generac generator. I regularly perform all maintenance as required and follow the manual on exercising the generator when it is parked for periods. A couple days ago i was running the generator with a heavy load. It was running great when all of a sudden it just shut down. No warning, sputtering or anything. After allowing it to cool i checked the oil level and the fuel level of the motorhome. All were good. I then attempted to restart the generator and it wont even turn over. When i press wither the start button on the generator or inside the MH there is nothing. I checked the fuse on the front panel of the generator and it was fine. I have no idea how this is wired into the MH but know it wasnt altered from the original installation. SO, anyone else ever have a similar issue or other thoughts? Are there other relays or fuses that may be in the system? I only know of the one on the front panel of the generator. I have checked the breakers on the front panel of the generator and the breakers on the power supply inside the motorhome. Other than that I have no idea where there may be other breakers or fuses that would cause this to happen.
I appreciate any help that you could offer!
Thanks for all the ideas. It turned out to be the primary power from the battery to the generator. Over time the vibrating wore down the connector until it separated from the starter.
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.
You nailed it! Thanks!
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brecklundin's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 380
i had something similar once which turned out to be one of the house battery cables was only finger tight and had loosened enough so the cable lost sufficient connection to battery terminal. it would shift then generator would cut out.
__________________
'97 Rexhall Rexair w/tag, 460v8, air bags on tag and rear axle. Generac NP-66G generator with knock on wood ~4200hrs, 50amp.,~3mpg city, 7-8 mpg highway.
Brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
i had something similar once which turned out to be one of the house battery cables was only finger tight and had loosened enough so the cable lost sufficient connection to battery terminal. it would shift then generator would cut out.
Thank you! It was the cable that went from the house batteries directly to the starter on the generator. The connector on the generator side finally wore out and broke from the connection at the generator. It has to have a constant 12v while generator is running.
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Chief Alen's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Manalapan NJ
Posts: 311
Good news ...

Keep on rollin !
__________________

__________________
2018 Newmar Ventana le 4002 .NKK 22567
2015 Unlimited Sahara hardtop/soft top.
Be good,be happy, tomorrow is promised to no man!
Chief Alen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator, problem


« Rad removal | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want my generator on/off switch to illuminate only when generator is running FloridaCanuk RV Systems & Appliances 17 08-23-2018 04:43 PM
2006 Travel Supreme Select 500hp Cummins, 1200 ONAN generator generator d or will no Bev51 Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 4 06-13-2018 06:23 PM
Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Generator-backup Generator Meaney77 RV Systems & Appliances 5 03-13-2018 03:12 PM
Automatic generator start system/Generator/shoreline automatic changeover switc Rac912 RV Systems & Appliances 14 01-12-2016 11:51 AM
Military Generator INSIDE prepped Generator Area WorkRVing 5th Wheel Discussion 21 11-18-2015 06:00 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.