Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Generator Problem

I have a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus 31ft. It has the NP52 Generac generator. I regularly perform all maintenance as required and follow the manual on exercising the generator when it is parked for periods. A couple days ago i was running the generator with a heavy load. It was running great when all of a sudden it just shut down. No warning, sputtering or anything. After allowing it to cool i checked the oil level and the fuel level of the motorhome. All were good. I then attempted to restart the generator and it wont even turn over. When i press wither the start button on the generator or inside the MH there is nothing. I checked the fuse on the front panel of the generator and it was fine. I have no idea how this is wired into the MH but know it wasnt altered from the original installation. SO, anyone else ever have a similar issue or other thoughts? Are there other relays or fuses that may be in the system? I only know of the one on the front panel of the generator. I have checked the breakers on the front panel of the generator and the breakers on the power supply inside the motorhome. Other than that I have no idea where there may be other breakers or fuses that would cause this to happen.
I appreciate any help that you could offer!
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #2

Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check for 12 volts on the cable from the batteries to the generator , or for 12v on the fuse. Most generators require 12v to start and keep running.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It was the starter solenoid on the generator. Easy fix.
Good luck.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Your manual:

https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...c-rv/NP52G.pdf

Page 7 .

Me i would bypass the low oil shutdown.

Check the battery cables ...

You have more then one problem maybe ?

Good news the gen-set you have is almost bullet proof, they do need to be taken care of.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Your manual:

Page 7 .

Good news the gen-set you have is almost bullet proof, they do need to be taken care of.
I second that. I believe that was the issue with my dads original genny
BVTMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Soppy!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpaero View Post
I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It was the starter solenoid on the generator. Easy fix.
Good luck.
Thank you, I will check it.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Your manual:

Page 7 .

Thank you! I keep track of the hours and make sure it is serviced and all. I got the MH from my dad and at the time the generator only had about 40 hours on it. The MH only had 25,000 miles on it. I've had it since 2016. Appreciate the help!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVTMark View Post
I second that. I believe that was the issue with my dads original genny
That helps more! Thank you!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNau View Post
I have a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus 31ft. It has the NP52 Generac generator. I regularly perform all maintenance as required and follow the manual on exercising the generator when it is parked for periods. A couple days ago i was running the generator with a heavy load. It was running great when all of a sudden it just shut down. No warning, sputtering or anything. After allowing it to cool i checked the oil level and the fuel level of the motorhome. All were good. I then attempted to restart the generator and it wont even turn over. When i press wither the start button on the generator or inside the MH there is nothing. I checked the fuse on the front panel of the generator and it was fine. I have no idea how this is wired into the MH but know it wasnt altered from the original installation. SO, anyone else ever have a similar issue or other thoughts? Are there other relays or fuses that may be in the system? I only know of the one on the front panel of the generator. I have checked the breakers on the front panel of the generator and the breakers on the power supply inside the motorhome. Other than that I have no idea where there may be other breakers or fuses that would cause this to happen.
I appreciate any help that you could offer!
Thanks for all the ideas. It turned out to be the primary power from the battery to the generator. Over time the vibrating wore down the connector until it separated from the starter.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
You nailed it! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
i had something similar once which turned out to be one of the house battery cables was only finger tight and had loosened enough so the cable lost sufficient connection to battery terminal. it would shift then generator would cut out.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
i had something similar once which turned out to be one of the house battery cables was only finger tight and had loosened enough so the cable lost sufficient connection to battery terminal. it would shift then generator would cut out.
Thank you! It was the cable that went from the house batteries directly to the starter on the generator. The connector on the generator side finally wore out and broke from the connection at the generator. It has to have a constant 12v while generator is running.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Good news ...

Keep on rollin !
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, problem