Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
House battery mystery

I have a 1999 Rexhall Rexair on a Ford f53 chassis. When I bought the coach a year ago, it had been sitting for 2 years. I put 2 new house batteries in it at that time. I have had zero problems with the batteries up until now. All of a sudden we came back from a camping trip, where we had full hookups and went to start the generator and the batteris were all but dead. I want to check them and charge them. I have a battery tester that I can use and also put load on the batteries. I also have a very good charge I can use to charge up the batteries. My question is, do I have to separate the batteries to charge them or will the charger charge both at the same time? I know I have to separate them to test them but how about charging them. I am somewhat disabled and don't now if I can lift the batteries out of the tray or not. What does charge the house batteries anyway?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Charging can be done to the whole bank at once. Your batteries are normally charged by the converter or converter section of a large inverter while also supplying house 12 VDC power when plugged in or on generator power.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Check the fluid in the cells , then charge as a bank of batteries.
Before running a load test ; with your tester; check to see if it's rated to test deep cycle batteries.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Check the fluid in the cells

I agree. If the electrolyte is not covering the plates, you need to add distilled water until the plates are covered....don't overfill. You can add more water if necessary after charging.

If the batteries are quite dry, then they are most likely permanently damaged and won't have the same capacity as when new.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

When I plug into shore power, my converter charges both house batteries so you shouldn't need to take them out to charge. If you do use an external charger, you will just need to hook the charger up to each battery, separately. You must have a draw if the batteries were drained even though plugged into shore. I know that I left one of my storage compartment lights on, by accident, a couple of weeks ago and it drained both of the batteries over the course of a week or two.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What batteries do you have. Do you have sealed Valve Regulated 12 volt MARINE/deep cycles (not the best battery)

Or Flooded wet cell perhaps Six Volt Golf Car DEEP CYCLES paired in series to make 12 volts (Just about the best at this time)?

If the latter two phrases jump out at me "A year ago" and "No problems since then"

Now, given brand new GC-2 batteries.... My Progressive Dynamics will cause them to need added distilled water after about 1 year give or take one month. WHEN NEW. as they age it becomes more frequent.

Given a slightly larger battery bank.. Even less often.

BUT... Many converters are not as "kind" to the battery as the Charge Wizard is. Thus.. You may have failed to properly water the batteries (DISTILLED ONLY).

In which case they may be toast.

Another common cause of "Dead Battery Syndrom" is a fully charged battery in very good condition with corrosion on teh ring termnials that connect to it.. THis is in fact VERY COMMON on RV's due to the use of the wrong material for that terminal.. And why all mine have been replaced.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
There is NO corrosion on any of the terminals. I separated the batteris and then tested them. 1 battery tests normal, the other one tests weak. I charged the good battery yesterday and i9t charged just fine and I was able to start the generator. I will try to charge the weak one today and see what happens. The water levels look fine. I may have just had 1 battery go out on me. Thank you for the info, updates to come.

Tags
battery