RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Is there a way to turn off the battery charger while plugged in to shore power?

Other than disconnecting directly at the battery, I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the charger.

I'm thinking turn it off during the week, and then turn it on for the weekend to maintain charge.

I looked in the power supply. There are two unmarked breakers, but I think they are 120vac breakers.

John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
John USA-

There's no way of telling how your particular coach is wired, short of you tracing the wiring (especially as yours is an older coach). However, the converter (which also charges the batteries) in a typical coach is fed from a 120V circuit breaker in the power center. Our coach had the main breaker and five branch breakers, one of which fed the converter exclusively. Perhaps yours is set up the same way.

Mark

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your MH has an older converter, the battery is part of the filtering circuit for the 12 volt systems. Without the battery in the circuit, you will get noisy, spikey power. This is not good for your electronics. You may also see the lights flicker or change brightness. A drawback of the older converters, is they can overcharge a battery, and boil them dry.
More info on your system can help. Post the make and model of your charger.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

My Trace inverter has a remote read out with a shut off, I installed it myself. The inverter is plugged into a 120 V wall plug.
The converter/inverter should be on a 120 volt circuit breaker, just turn it off, there could be other things on that circuit. Could also install a remote switch that turns off 120V at converter. A wireless should work if it is rated high enough (similar to a wireless lamp control).
Not sure why you want to turn charger off. It is good for the batteries. Batteries take a long time to reach their maximum charge. Your batteries will last much longer if kept fully charged. Just keep water level above plates or get a automatic water level maintainer (sold at most RV suppliers)
N5SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I never thought about this, but the question being asked appears to be a good one. If I park for a month in one spot, it seems to me that it is possible to overheat the batteries and require me to add water to the coach batteries to maintain levels. Am I wrong? Can I just turn off the connection to the coach batteries at the disconnect switch? Do I need to?
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
I never thought about this, but the question being asked appears to be a good one. If I park for a month in one spot, it seems to me that it is possible to overheat the batteries and require me to add water to the coach batteries to maintain levels. Am I wrong? Can I just turn off the connection to the coach batteries at the disconnect switch? Do I need to?

As new as your MH is, I believe you will be fine as is. Most now have 3 stage chargers with a true float mode. Your wiring dia. are available from WB.
On my 04 the inv/conv is hard wired to the batteries, the disconnect sw only removes the coach Load. The inv/conv has a control panel that will turn the charger off or on as well as the inverter.
If you need further help, I can research your coach after Thanksgiving, have a Happy One.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a deck type converter/charger. It plugs into a 120vac outlet. I put a wireless activated switch in the power cord to control when I want the charger on/off.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If your charging system is working correctly, you are better off to leave it plugged in and maintain full charge. Mine is plugged 24/7.

Tags
battery, power, shore power