RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Noise from Battery Control Center

I am winterizing the RV and was working underneath it when I heard the sound in the video itís coming from underneath the hood from the battery control center. Anyone have any idea what this might be?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6869.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	264228

Sorry canít seem to get the video attached but hereís a picture. Noise is something clicking in then clicking out about two seconds between the in and out.

TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
I am winterizing the RV and was working underneath it when I heard the sound in the video itís coming from underneath the hood from the battery control center. Anyone have any idea what this might be?Attachment 264228

Sorry canít seem to get the video attached but hereís a picture. Noise is something clicking in then clicking out about two seconds between the in and out.
There may be a transfer switch inside.
Clicking could be related to an issue at the post.

carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
There may be a transfer switch inside.
Clicking could be related to an issue at the post.

Hmm, could be right...I've been wondering where/if I had a transfer switch. If it is inside that power distribution center box, it's buried.

So here's what I did:

I went inside and turned off the power to chassis and house. There are two buttons on the panel that you push to put both chassis and house into "storage" mode. Which I believe turns off all the power.

So after doing that, the clicking was still going. I then pulled the 30 amp connector from the power pedestal....still clicking.

I then started the RV and let it run, checked for the clicking...no clicking.

Turned off the engine...no clicking.

Turned the power back on for chassis and house, no clicking.

Plugged the 30 amp cord back into the pedestal, no clicking.

Hmmm, very strange.

I think this has happened one time before and it went away then too.

So, I guess I need to go through my manuals and see if I can find anything about a transfer switch. I believe I've looked before and didn't find anything, but I'll check again.

And to be clear...a transfer switch is used to transfer power between pedestal power and generator power?

Thanks for your input Carl.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Hmm, could be right...I've been wondering where/if I had a transfer switch. If it is inside that power distribution center box, it's buried.

So here's what I did:

I went inside and turned off the power to chassis and house. There are two buttons on the panel that you push to put both chassis and house into "storage" mode. Which I believe turns off all the power.

So after doing that, the clicking was still going. I then pulled the 30 amp connector from the power pedestal....still clicking.

I then started the RV and let it run, checked for the clicking...no clicking.

Turned off the engine...no clicking.

Turned the power back on for chassis and house, no clicking.

Plugged the 30 amp cord back into the pedestal, no clicking.

Hmmm, very strange.

I think this has happened one time before and it went away then too.

So, I guess I need to go through my manuals and see if I can find anything about a transfer switch. I believe I've looked before and didn't find anything, but I'll check again.

And to be clear...a transfer switch is used to transfer power between pedestal power and generator power?

Thanks for your input Carl.
"And to be clear...a transfer switch is used to transfer power between pedestal power and generator power."

That's exactly what it should do.
You may want to check all you lugs in the distribution panel and the transfer switch for tightness.
On my Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel I found several loose and L-1 input out of the socket.
Many things change with heat cold and vibrations from the road.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
"And to be clear...a transfer switch is used to transfer power between pedestal power and generator power."

That's exactly what it should do.
You may want to check all you lugs in the distribution panel and the transfer switch for tightness.
On my Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel I found several loose and L-1 input out of the socket.
Many things change with heat cold and vibrations from the road.
Thanks Carl, I'll certainly check that.....not sure when. I hate electrical stuff especially when it's in semi-tight quarters. But good to know and gives me an idea what to check. Since this is an old rig, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea just to replace it. Of course, I've got to figure out exactly WHERE it is, and how difficult it would be to RnR. And, I guess that brings up a good question, are there newer/better ones that I should consider? Again, I need to find a manual on what I have so I know what to get.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Carl, I'll certainly check that.....not sure when. I hate electrical stuff especially when it's in semi-tight quarters. But good to know and gives me an idea what to check. Since this is an old rig, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea just to replace it. Of course, I've got to figure out exactly WHERE it is, and how difficult it would be to RnR. And, I guess that brings up a good question, are there newer/better ones that I should consider? Again, I need to find a manual on what I have so I know what to get.

Thanks again.
I hate electrical as well. Just be sure to disconnect all ac and DC power.
Then tighten everything up.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #7

That black box says "battery control center", then below "fuses inside", below that "caution", below that "disconnect cables ----" cannot make out the rest of the words, that is not an ATS=automatic transfer switch or it would also have 120VAC cables entering into the box.
Do yourself and everyone here a favor, write down everything you can read-words, numbers, letters, on that box, then post it here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
What you are hearing is pretty much normal. There are some contactors that look similar to the old Ford Starter Solenoids behind that board. These are the contactors that turn off power to the coach and chassis when you press the switched by the door and also connect both batteries together when you press the switch on the dash. They are also controlled by the battery control center to charge one or both batteries depending on the condition of the batteries. It is kind of a mysterious/complicated theory how and when the Control Center commands these on and off.
However, to answer your title question the transfer switch is located in the storage compartment that your power cord is in, at least mine is. Follow your power cord to the metal box. The switch in inside. But this has nothing to do with the clicking you are hearing.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That black box says "battery control center", then below "fuses inside", below that "caution", below that "disconnect cables ----" cannot make out the rest of the words, that is not an ATS=automatic transfer switch or it would also have 120VAC cables entering into the box.
Do yourself and everyone here a favor, write down everything you can read-words, numbers, letters, on that box, then post it here.
So at the very bottom is says: "Genset, Auxiliary Battery, Chassis Battery" with arrows pointing down towards the cables that come in from the bottom.

Yeah...I'm wondering if a 1997 would even have an ATS...Gotta find the box of manuals that came with the RV and see if there is any info in there.

Now where did I put those? (This was only the first couple of loads..it's completely FULL now!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage-unit.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	264416  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
What you are hearing is pretty much normal. There are some contactors that look similar to the old Ford Starter Solenoids behind that board. These are the contactors that turn off power to the coach and chassis when you press the switched by the door and also connect both batteries together when you press the switch on the dash. They are also controlled by the battery control center to charge one or both batteries depending on the condition of the batteries. It is kind of a mysterious/complicated theory how and when the Control Center commands these on and off.
However, to answer your title question the transfer switch is located in the storage compartment that your power cord is in, at least mine is. Follow your power cord to the metal box. The switch in inside. But this has nothing to do with the clicking you are hearing.
Hmmm...I 'think' I once took the cover off that metal box just to see what it was (wish I had taken a picture of it) and I'm struggling to remember what WAS inside....hmmm. I 'thought' it was just a connector box but not 100% sure.

But you're right..it's not related to what I'm hearing. As I mentioned above...I wonder if this old rig has an ATS? I know I've always been very careful to always make sure I am unplugged from shore power before starting the generator. I'm not even sure why I knew to do this....or even if I HAVE to do this. Just never made sense to me to have two sources of power going into the RV.

Of course I didn't know for 6 years that my gas hot water tank actually had an On/Off switch that allowed me to use electricity to heat my water!

Old_Biscuit set me straight on that!

Can you imagine me owning a Diesel RV? I can't even handle the simple goings on of a GAS RIG! Shessh!

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
When you start you generator and want to power the RV 'house' on it, do you have to plug your shore power code into a specific outlet somewhere in the basement storage area, or does it take power from the generator automatically?

If it's automatic then you have a ATS (AUTOMATIC Transfer Switch). It will most likely be in or very near where you shore code goes in to the RV.

If you have to plug the shore cord in to a specific outlet then there is not ATS, so don't go looking for it.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
When you start you generator and want to power the RV 'house' on it, do you have to plug your shore power code into a specific outlet somewhere in the basement storage area, or does it take power from the generator automatically?

If it's automatic then you have a ATS (AUTOMATIC Transfer Switch). It will most likely be in or very near where you shore code goes in to the RV.

If you have to plug the shore cord in to a specific outlet then there is not ATS, so don't go looking for it.
No, I just start the generator then after about 45 seconds or so the power comes on inside (Microwave starts flashing).

Hmm, I swear I've looked in that bay. (Where the power cord is). Of course I have had a history of not being too observant.

Case in point: A car turned the corner and ran into my truck that was parked on the street and I had it's wheels turned outward. I had no idea anything had happened. I got into the truck, started it up and started to pull out. As I'm driving down the road I noticed two things: 1. The steering wheel was upside down while driving straight. 2. There was the sound of the power steering unit sounding like it was low or out of steering fluid.

What did I do?

I called my Dad while I was driving (They hadn't passed that law yet) and asked, "Hey Dad...I'm hearing the power steering unit sound like it's low or out of fluid...but here's the strange thing...my steering wheel is upside down and I'm driving in a straight line. Would losing fluid cause this?"

Yeah..not the brightest bulb. Gets worse.

So I stop into a gas station, go in and buy some power steering fluid. NO! I'm not THAT dumb! I bought transmission fluid since it's the same thing, right?

So I walk out to the truck, pop open the hood, pour in the fluid, close the hood and go to work.

After work I drive home and am about to park when I notice all this debris where my truck USED to be! I park elsewhere and go inside and ask my wife, "Hey, while you were home today did you hear any crash or loud noises? Looks like there was an accident of some sort right where my truck was parked!"

She goes outside with me and looks at the debris, walk over to my car and says, "Well you dummy...someone hit your TRUCK!" (Said in the sweetest tone)

I look, and sure enough the passenger side of the truck by the wheel had a dent in the fender!

So yeah...I might have to go look in that bay again and see what I can find.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
lol - great story.

Look for fairly large 'box', with two sets of 120 volt wires going in to one side (one from generator, one from shore power) and one set going out the other side (to the coach).
Following the shore power cord is probably the shortest path to finding the ATS.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
lol - great story.

Look for fairly large 'box', with two sets of 120 volt wires going in to one side (one from generator, one from shore power) and one set going out the other side (to the coach).
Following the shore power cord is probably the shortest path to finding the ATS.
Thanks! I will follow the trail.

Tags
air, battery, cat, noise, rexair, switch, transfer switch